Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How extensive is your traveling? Which state/province was least pleasant?

I'm willing to accept "America is basically one culture" as long as you are willing to accept that all of Western Europe is also that same one culture that America has.

What I will not accept is if you're going to make any claim like "Texas and Washington are basically the same, but France and Scotland are unique and different."

Globalization is what it is, you and I have access to the same Internet, and it's a much larger driver of cultural identity at this point than television is.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you're staying within the Anglosphere you're still in the same overarching culture and that has nothing whatsoever to do with how well-traveled you are.

Non-North American countries count as 1000, and entering a continent other than your own counts as 10000!

New score: 11033.11! I went to Argentina to visit the motherland

Quote Originally Posted by Pantz View Post
    Tempe, Arizona, USA
    Lol @ Tempe. Were you there visiting someone at Arizona State University? I lived there for 10 weeks!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Does living in a non-NA country count as 1000 points? What score do I get for travelling to a state in the USA? Still 1? Your scoring system is difficult to deal with, not living in NA.

One million points for anyone who has been to Antarctica.

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Does living in a non-NA country count as 1000 points? What score do I get for travelling to a state in the USA? Still 1? Your scoring system is difficult to deal with, not living in NA.
    Yes; 10001; figure it out for my logic is flawless!

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    I'm willing to accept "America is basically one culture" as long as you are willing to accept that all of Western Europe is also that same one culture that America has.

What I will not accept is if you're going to make any claim like "Texas and Washington are basically the same, but France and Scotland are unique and different."

Globalization is what it is, you and I have access to the same Internet, and it's a much larger driver of cultural identity at this point than television is.
    Nope. Mainland Europe is massively different to Ireland & the UK. Ireland & the UK (and even maybe Australia, Canada & USA) is basically the same, I'll accept that. But in everytrhign else you're as wrong as you are American.

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh also for the actual topic:

England
    Scotland
    Wales
    Northern Ireland
    Republic of Ireland
    Spain
    Canada (Just stopped in Toronto Airport but I saw a Tim Hortons there so it counts)
    USA:
    Rhode Island
    Connecticut
    New York
    Missouri
    Texas
    Atlanta
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Montana
    Minnesota

Soon to be added: Utah, Washington State, possibly Wyoming. Most want to visit among others: California, Alaska.

The best state is Montana, the worst and only one I wish to actively avoid is Illinois, everywhere else I've been has been pretty great.

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    One million points for anyone who has been to Antarctica.
    I know of a dude who was an IT guy at Amundsen-Scott Polar Station so I figure he'd win.

Blog Entries

I'd have scored 0 were it not for a brief stint in Barbados. Y'all need to check your North American privilege.

there was a picture here

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Xaven View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantz View Post
    Tempe, Arizona, USA
    Lol @ Tempe. Were you there visiting someone at Arizona State University? I lived there for 10 weeks!
    Nah, I was visiting Shorty!

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh, I forgot. I have also been to South Korea. And North Korea a little bit.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Blog Entries

I've been to only 14 states and DC, I think? And I've never been to Mexico or Canada, so I'm not well-traveled. My favorite state I've been to is probably Hawaii for obvious reasons. Delaware is the worst state I've visited. So dull there. At least they don't have sales tax there.
    Era Vulgaris
    "My life's a chip in your pile. Ante up!" ~Setzer, FFVI

"Knights do it two-handed!" ~Drunkard, FFV

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    I'm talkiong going somewhere, looking around and thinking 'I've no idea what the smurf is going on, why the wee woman is wearing that or why that we fella is in a mountain with his his hand in the air for 40 years'.

I just like beign out of my comfort zone and beign somewhere completely alien. If you're American, you're pretty much centred no matter where you go within the States.
    Spoken like one who really doesn't know what he's talking about. There is an unbelievable amount of diversity, real true, beyond the scope of what you've experienced in your normal life type diversity in the US.

The fact that you don't think so and you seem to think everything is pretty homogenous makes it clear that you don't know much about the American landscape. Yeah, if you visit San Francisco and then you visit New York, there's going to be a lot of similarities. Because ALL metropolitan cities have similarities. But you're bonkers if you think that someone from Montana visiting Los Angeles isn't going to experience a big culture shock.

And if you're constantly confused about what's happening when you're traveling, then you're probably doing it wrong. I've been to Europe and Asia and Mexico and very rarely was I struck with the feeling of "I have no idea what the smurf is going on". Although I have felt that way visiting some of the flyover states in the US.

If anything, things I see in San Francisco still make me go WTF more than anything I've seen in Paris or Florence.

If you go to certain areas of the US, you'll find entire neighborhoods where English isn't even the primary language that's spoken. If that doesn't say something about diversity, I don't know what does.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

what like 13.01

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.