Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miss America 2014 hopeful is a U.S. Military soldier... with tattoos

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I'm wondering what they mean by the term "marksman". Is it the traditional reference which means she's a fairly good shot or is it the modern military version of a marksman which means she's barely able to shoot well enough to be qualified on shooting an M16?

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, SuperMillionaire doesn't have to worry about the tattooed Miss Kansas winning the crown. That honor goes to Miss New York, who just happens to be Indian American!

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

thank god that tattooed freak didn't win!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Proto View Post
    Well, SuperMillionaire doesn't have to worry about the tattooed Miss Kansas winning the crown. That honor goes to Miss New York, who just happens to be Indian American!
    TERRORIST!!! SHE IS GOING TO BOMB ALL THE BOOBS!!!!

Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's just not a celebration of American pride until the racist assholes have opened their mouths to let words fall out.

Blog Entries

It amazes me how US broadcasters get away with retarded comments like that. If someone like Huw Edwards started saying similar things on the BBC he'd get torn to shreds by pretty much everyone, sacked, and never seen again on terrestrial television.

I suppose Miss UK would actually have to become a newsworthy story first, though.

there was a picture here

That "Lots of people are racist" post is hilarious. Surely these aren't real people, right?

But then I remember the conversations I've had in Eyes on Each Other and remember that people like this exist everywhere in the distant fringes of society. People really do make uneducated and downright stupid judgments about people based on race and sex. It's a sad world.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm with them. How can you represent America if not you're not a middle-class white male? The function - nay! the PRINCIPLES - of Miss America have been completely undermined by this shambolic turn of events, and I don't think I'll ever be able to not care about it when SuperMillionaire makes a thread again.

Blog Entries

...... NationalGuard?

That's it?

I thought this was gonna say that she was like a Marine that'd been deployed to a war zone.

Then again, my dad says joining said branch is the quickest way to end up getting deployed nowadays.

Well. Congrats anyway. Good on her.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    As for the tattoo thing? Typically, tattoos have a bad rap, due to being associated with strippers and prostitutes in the case of women (think the lower-back tattoo, sometimes insultingly referred to as the "tramp stamp"), and criminals, in the case of men, especially in prison. However, tattoos are also a common military practice, and many soldiers have them.
    Let me make this clear right now: that statement is NOT my own personal opinion, but from what I have seen on many other message boards and articles with comments, that is still a pretty popular opinion.

I've also looked on Wikipedia about tattoos, and that it has a long history, and has both positive and negative associations. Many pagan tribes prominently used tattoos, and there are also a lot of modern religious tattoos that some people tend to get today. And of course, there's also the military.

When it comes to the lower-back tattoo, I'm open-minded enough to know that not all women who have such tattoos are strippers, prostitutes, or promiscuous, though a significant number of them still are, and that's what reinforces and confirms the stereotype; nonetheless, there are aversions. And another thing about this particular tattoo: it can just as easily be concealed as it can be revealed, simply by wearing a top that covers the lower midriff.

Many popular musicians have them too, especially hard rock, heavy metal, country, reggae, and hip-hop/rap. The last group, however, is (sometimes) associated with inner-city crime and gangster/mobster activity, and many criminals, both on the streets and in prison, have tattoos. The following quote from the article below is an example of people who view tattoos in this way:

Pull up your pants - or the law may do it for you - SFGate

"If you walk in somebody's office with your hair uncombed and the pick in the back and your shoes untied and your pants half down, tattoos up and down your arm, on your face, on your neck and you're wondering why somebody won't hire you? They don't hire you because you look like you're crazy!"
    (Also note that prisons also have a separate tattooing tradition as well; they sometimes tattoo the prisoner number onto the prisoner.)

Now, I won't object if you just happen to have a few tattoos on your body. I've actually complemented many other people I know in my school that have tattoos. Would I get a tattoo myself, though? No. I like it for others, but not for me. However, there is a certain point at which the tattoos become too much, and that point is when you have tattoos covering entire parts of your body, all over your body. That is when I start to object. Also note that while some tattoos are seen as nice, other tattoos are seen as offensive, depending on the design of the tattoo and what the tattoo is. For instance, if you have a tattoo of a positive symbol, such as a heart, a flower, the "peace" symbol, or a religious symbol, such as the Christian cross, it is seen as acceptable, but if you have, let's say, a swastika or a skull (which symbolizes death) as a tattoo, that is seen as offensive. There are various other examples of what people view as acceptable and offensive, which I won't get into, because it would take too much time.

The thing about tattoos, though, is that, from what I've seen and heard, when you get older, it's doesn't look good anymore, and the process of removing a permanent tattoo is quite painful. However, there are also "temporary tattoos" that last only a short time before fading away.

As for the Miss America pageant this year, I was actually rooting for Miss Kansas, but she didn't win. She at least made it to the talent competition, and let me tell you, she was awesome. I mean, who would have thought that a military soldier with tattoos would be an opera singer, let alone a beauty queen, not to mention that she mastered that song in less than 48 hours just by watching it on YouTube. She originally wanted to show off her archery skills, but projectile objects are forbidden, so she improvised and switched to singing, which she had in fact done before, but not in a while, and she nailed it. Then there's Miss Florida, who injured her knee earlier during preparation, but still executed her routine flawlessly live on national TV, while wearing a knee brace.

Both myself and a friend of mine thought that either Miss Kansas, Miss Texas, Miss Florida, or Miss California (the runner up, who was also Asian) should have won, instead of Miss New York. Let's also note that last year's winner, Mallory Hagan, also represented New York, but she's originally from Alabama.

As for Nina Davuluri, the first Miss America of Indian descent? Some people need to get their facts straight. She is not Arab, and she is not Muslim; I am not sure about whether she is Christian or Buddhist, but she is Indian, and not Arab or Muslim. The first Asian Miss America was Angela Perez Baraquio, who represented Hawaii, and is of Filipino (or Filipina) descent, winning Miss America 2001. Let's also note that the unaffiliated Miss USA pageant once actually crowned an Arab Muslim winner, Rima Fakih, Miss USA 2010, who had previously danced on a stripper pole, and was arrested for drunk driving sometime later on. Still, neither myself nor my friend, who is in fact of Indian descent, thought that Nina Davuluri was attractive; her body is good, but her face isn't. Nonetheless, it's still a good thing that the pageant is embracing diversity, though we still have yet to crown a Miss America of Hispanic/Latina descent, even though Puerto Rico has competed in the pageant for quite some time now.
    Last edited by SuperMillionaire; 09-18-2013 at 06:42 PM.
    Is that your final answer?

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Tongue

Your post is cute. Why are you talking about tattoos as if no one has them or has ever encountered them before? It makes me wonder what other message boards and articles you are doing your research from (other than that poorly written SF Gate piece about trousers), and why you feel the need to state a "popular" opinion rather than your own.

Most people get tattoos of things that are of personal significance to them. People do get what might be perceived as impulse ink - cutesy stars on the wrist, Tinkerbell on the inside of their ankle, etc. - but if someone is spending thousands of dollars on getting something permanently etched onto the majority of their skin (particularly if we're still in a society is going to make a snap judgement and not hire you to work in an office if they catch a glimpse of your full sleeve), then it is probably more important to them than having tattoos "look good" as an older person.

Bodies age - it's what happens if you're smurfing lucky enough to live a long life, and yes, that includes things like sunspots, cellulite, wrinkles and sagging and weathered skin. It's going to happen whether you get tattooed or not, and personally I would rather some faded or stretched tattoos of great sentimental value and history than spend my time worrying about what my ink might look like in thirty years. If you're an old person who is legitimately worried that your tattoos (or anything about you really) "doesn't look good anymore", your life is pretty smurfing great.

It's 7am and I just laughed at myself because I realized I was rolling my eyes at people being shallow in a Miss America thread

Look, I see fellow students with tattoos at my school all the time, and I have in fact complemented some of their tattoo designs. My personal opinion on tattoos is that I like them as long as they are not overdone. The reason why I stated that other popular opinion in the first place was because a lot of other people still think that tattoos and beauty pageants don't mix.

I also know that many people get tattoos because of sentimental value, and usually, these tattoos, which you referred to as "impulsive ink," are small and cute, and sometimes even meaningful. However, if you decide to get a very large tattoo that covers a large amount of skin, I personally would recommend it only on the back, because that is the one part of the body that is most often covered by shirts, but hey, to each one's own, I guess.

And yes, bodies do age as people live longer, and if people don't mind their tattoos not looking as good, because it is of sentimental value to them, then that's fine. Again, to each one's own. But what if you in fact DO regret getting a permanent tattoo, even if you haven't reached old age yet? From what I've seen and heard, removing a permanent tattoo is painful, especially if it's a big one.
    Is that your final answer?

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Calm down, Calli. Dude's only stating that there is a common misconception about tattoos. xD

Blog Entries

I feel bad knowing she's going through all this knowing that she won't win just because there are people that still think of anyone with tattoos as a HEATHEN