Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best RPG Battle Systems

I know a lot of people seem to hate it, but Xenogears.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I have problems with the implementation, the balance and the challenge but overall it was a pretty awesome system.

Interesting how the games mentioned here are overwhelmingly Japanese RPGs.

Pokemon, Super Mario RPG

Pokemon is nice and simple. SMRPG has incredibly small timing windows for things like "perfect" timed hits (which do 2x damage, as opposed to normal timed hits which do 1.5x) and Super Jumps (3 frame window - that's 1/20th of a second - for jumps 13-100)

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Interesting how the games mentioned here are overwhelmingly Japanese RPGs.
    Well, this is an "RPG Battle Systems" thread. And it's not really surprising, since JRPGs tend to be a lot more imaginative, mechanically speaking, than their western counterparts.

Heck, aside from Mass Effect, I can't even think of a western RPG that has "good" battle mechanics, let alone one that would be in the running for "best battle system".
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Can't believe i forgot about Vagrant Story. Chains ftw!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Star Ocean 3.
    This
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Tales of Something.
    And this (though Vesperia and Xillia probably have my favs)

...and then add Valkyrie Profile 2 to that.

....oh, and Super Robot Taisen og Saga.

...followed by Super Mario RPG.

Can't believe i forgot this, but Mana Khemia's battle system was smurfing fantastic. We need another game with a similar set up.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

FFXII's was so addictive.

Str8 Pimpin'

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Pretty much any game made by Tri-Ace has some interesting combat mechanics.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

GONNA ROKKEN YOUR WORLD WildRaubtier's Avatar

Ultima Shadow was right; SRWOG Saga EF has probably the best turn based battle system in recent memory.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WildRaubtier View Post
    Ultima Shadow was right; SRWOG Saga EF has probably the best turn based battle system in recent memory.
    Few games manages to make every battle enjoyable. But if I were to mention a single game that I think manages to do this, I'd probably say Endless Frontier. Even when it's that same enemy formation you've seen 30 times already, it's just so FUN to keep smashing them around with crazy combos and finish them off with extreme overdrives that never gets old and basically makes every FF limit break ever look boring and dull when compared.

I actually played the second game (SRWOG Saga: Endless Frontier EXCEED), even though it doesn't have an english translation, because all you need in order to enjoy that game more than your average DS game is the battle system. Especially once you get the secondary overdrives that were introduced in EXCEED. Especially Suzuka Hime's. <3

...I can seriously pick that game up just to go fight some random enemies and enjoy the hell out of that awesome battle system.

I never tried the Super Robot series (due to various reasons, but never lack of interest). Now I really want to. But your recommended game is no longer in production, apparently, and is quite expensive to pick up.

Is it actually an ATLUS series, or did they just handle localization?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    I never tried the Super Robot series (due to various reasons, but never lack of interest). Now I really want to. But your recommended game is no longer in production, apparently, and is quite expensive to pick up.

Is it actually an ATLUS series, or did they just handle localization?
    The developers are Monolith Soft and Banpresto, it was just localized by ATLUS as far as I know.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dark Souls.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Tales of Xillia has perhaps the most refined battle system in the Tales series and it's great. Resonance of Fate is smurfing fabulous, surprised nobody else has mentioned it yet.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.