Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101424 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokémon X&Y post-launch discussion thread - AKA Jinx is Upset

I'll have to play in the mornings before work to evolve my Tyrunt then, I guess. Oh no, how will you ever convince me to do that

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I am taking my time with Pokemon X. Levelling up Bunnelby (he just became a Diggersby this morning, how exciting) and a bunch of other crap-tier Pokemon. Just dropped a few off in the day care because I am lazy.

I am more interested than I thought I'd be, which is nice.

That reminds me, I'm going to need to transfer the fossils over. At what point do you get them?

After using two of my starters, I can comfortably say that Frogadier is better than Fennekin. Which, I guess isn't that surprising, as Frogadier is a more advanced form. Fennekin currently seems a little fragile to me. I mean, a Dunsparce two levels lower than it was able to take it down past half health with two Rages and a Rollout (if it had started with Rollout, Fennekin probably would have lost). Plus, it hasn't picked up its heavy hitting moves yet, so it's good Special Attack (which is of course how I trained it) isn't getting that much use right now. Hopefully the evolution will change that.

I am wondering what the best route to take Chespin will be. He's clearly a tank, with a defensive signature move and armor styled design. But I'm not sure what EV breakdown to use for him (I don't use tanks a ton). And I'm certainly not going to let him be trained through combat with random Pokémon, not after seeing firsthand just how big of a difference getting good EVs in on your starter can be. Anyone who has any advice on that will be welcome.

Also, is it just me, or this game one of the most money-stingy in the series? Not only are there a ton of things like clothes to buy, but even ignoring that, I keep running fairly short. There are so many Pokémon available on each Route that I wind up spending tons just on Pokéballs. I've even bought more regular Pokéballs versus Great Balls just because they still work pretty well, and money is so short.

I guess I could do more Super Training and hope I get more Stardusts to sell, but in terms of funding through trainer battles, it seems low for the series.

Is anyone else really happy with Litleo? After so many years of Pokémon that are 90% male, it's nice to see one where finding the male form is far harder than finding the female.

Pickup is awesome. Both Zigzagoon and Bunnelby can have it, and I'd keep them with it in your party until you start needing HM slaves (why are there no good HM slaves with Pickup?). You should not be able to take an Ultra Ball from a level 5 Pokémon's Pickup, but you can.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dunsparces in this game are OP if you've not got a type advantage, I've found.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I dunno, Skyblade. My Fennekin was always great. I've got a level 53 Delphox now and she's a smurfing beast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    I dunno, Skyblade. My Fennekin was always great. I've got a level 53 Delphox now and she's a smurfing beast.
    Fennekin, not so much. Braixen, yes. Access to Flame Charge (physical sure, but the speed boost is awesome), and very quick access to its first Psychic move, Psybeam. Beastly little fox after the first evolution. Before that, it was lagging behind. It was still a higher level than my enemies (though nowhere near as high as it would be if I was soloing everything with it, since I traded for it), and fully EV trained, but not doing as well as I expected. Mostly due to a shallow movepool and frail defenses.

I'm about to pick up my Kanto starter (and trade across the others and the other evolution stones). I need to figure out where to get the fossils, though.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's going to be glaringly obvious where to get your fossils, Skyblade. You can't miss it. Just calm down and enjoy the ride. You've still got a bit (although not terribly long).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    After using two of my starters, I can comfortably say that Frogadier is better than Fennekin. Which, I guess isn't that surprising, as Frogadier is a more advanced form. Fennekin currently seems a little fragile to me. I mean, a Dunsparce two levels lower than it was able to take it down past half health with two Rages and a Rollout (if it had started with Rollout, Fennekin probably would have lost). Plus, it hasn't picked up its heavy hitting moves yet, so it's good Special Attack (which is of course how I trained it) isn't getting that much use right now. Hopefully the evolution will change that.
    Yeah, I think I might end up with the ninja frog as well. It's fast, has pretty good special attack and can learn things like Hydro Pump, Ice Beam and Dark Pulse. The flinch rate from Dark Pulse is especially nice when combined with the high speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    I am wondering what the best route to take Chespin will be. He's clearly a tank, with a defensive signature move and armor styled design. But I'm not sure what EV breakdown to use for him (I don't use tanks a ton). And I'm certainly not going to let him be trained through combat with random Pokémon, not after seeing firsthand just how big of a difference getting good EVs in on your starter can be. Anyone who has any advice on that will be welcome.
    I mostly develop sets for PvP battles and I haven't even played the game yet, but... if I were to make a Chesnaught setup, I would probably go for almost pure defense. Like... 252 HP, 240 Def, 16 Attack. Of course, that would be in combination with a moveset that uses Leech Seed, Spike Shield, Substitute and some good physical STAB move. A stalling physical tank that mainly relies on Leech Seed + Spike Shield to wear the opponents down.

But if that feels too slow for AI battles, you could put 100 or so from Def into Attack. I would go for 252 HP in any build, however. And both Leech Seed and Spike Shield should probably still be used as well, though Substitute could be replaced by another attacking move.

...speculating, going by what I know so far at least. But leech seed-stalling is seriously not to be underestimated.

Edit: if Chesnaught can learn Drain Punch, have that as the attacking move and slap on a Big Root as held item for additional fun. Massive bulk, 130% Leech Seed recovery, 80% Drain Punch recovery and a Protect-like move with potential recoil = you pretty much only have to fear special attackers and physical attackers with Flying-type moves and/or Leech Seed immunity.
    Last edited by Ultima Shadow; 10-14-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    It's going to be glaringly obvious where to get your fossils, Skyblade. You can't miss it. Just calm down and enjoy the ride. You've still got a bit (although not terribly long).
    I am enjoying the ride. Hence why I'm only on the second starter collection. I'm just glad they made the fossils obvious, I'm sick of hunting them down in caves and desert fortresses.

Speaking of caves, how are they? Last generation GameFreak finally proved that they can make a Pokémon more annoying than Zubat, and I'm worried that they may make caves even worse to trek through.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Man, you guys are WAY past me. Had a busy weekend. Then again, I play Pokemon games slooooooooooowly. Glad to see many of you are enjoying it too!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I just beat the second d gym leader. I took advantage of Shauna healing me in the first forest so I grinded every Pokemon I had to 10 before I left so it's been easy mode since then

I beat the 5th gym before going to bed last night. It was the most difficult for me of the gyms thus far, though that's because I didn't go in with a major type advantage. I still won without much trouble, though.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Denmark View Post
    I beat the 5th gym before going to bed last night. It was the most difficult for me of the gyms thus far, though that's because I didn't go in with a major type advantage. I still won without much trouble, though.
    Uh, I might be close to the second gym...

*silently and shamefully falls down 7000 flights of stairs*

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

All of the gyms have been pretty cool so far, but holy trout that Psychic Gym is just STUNNING. Seriously, hats off to whoever designed it. It's gorgeous.

FFXIV Character

Viadana Solacaire (Sargatanas)

Hm. The time between the first two gyms was a bit on the long side, which was great. That might be due to the fact that I take my time with everything. After that though, I'm at the beginning of the Fourth gym and am anxious to play during the day to finally evolve my Tyrunt. After seeing that third gym, I can't wait to see the others. totes excite