Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21216171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: EoFF's Top Games of the Generation: Revelations

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I honestly can't ever remember controlling any vehicles in ME2. Did this come out much later than the game or something? If so, again, it doesn't count if I couldn't play it.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Countless missions, all mostly the same, but you can generally say the same for Tetris, Pac-Man and so forth. Hell, you could say the same for every FF battle you hop into.
    Except that Tetris, Pac-Man and FF don't tend to suffer from things like boring controls and absolutely nothing to do.

The Mako was like Pac-Man if he just kept moving right down a corridor endlessly eating dots. No maze, no corners, no ghosts, no power ups. Just moving. Or Tetris if all you had was a single column and the straight blocks.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Countless missions, all mostly the same, but you can generally say the same for Tetris, Pac-Man and so forth. Hell, you could say the same for every FF battle you hop into.
    Except that Tetris, Pac-Man and FF don't tend to suffer from things like boring controls and absolutely nothing to do.

The Mako was like Pac-Man if he just kept moving right down a corridor endlessly eating dots. No maze, no corners, no ghosts, no power ups. Just moving. Or Tetris if all you had was a single column and the straight blocks.
    ^^^^ perfect comparison.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

The Mako was you controlling something to get to a certain place, and if you felt like it, you could dick around with a tank to shoot things with. I really don't get how that equates to holding one down the up button. If you simply held down one button on the Mako (which is what you would need to do in your rather pathetic analogies/comparisons/whatever the hell those were) then you would not finish any Mako missions whatsoever.

I think you guys were doing it wrong.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The Mako was you controlling something to get to a certain place, and if you felt like it, you could dick around with a tank to shoot things with. I really don't get how that equates to holding one down the up button. If you simply held down one button on the Mako (which is what you would need to do in your rather pathetic analogies/comparisons/whatever the hell those were) then you would not finish any Mako missions whatsoever.

I think you guys were doing it wrong.
    There was exactly one thing to dick around and shoot. Monkeys. And killing them gave you renegade.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

...did you guys never actually go to the random colonies that had been invaded by Geth?

Articles
    Blog Entries

...did you guys never actually go to the random colonies that had been invaded by Geth?
    I went to all of them. 100%. besides the missions that could be accomplished the same way they are in 2 and 3, the only thing to do is shoot monkey and spend a long time climbing hills.

Want see a prime example of AAA-bias at work? A game like Plants vs Zombies (the second-greatest indie game of all time, and maybe the greatest non-gamer game of all time) got 2 votes.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Plants Vs. Zombies is a pretty fun game for a while, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it the second greatest indie game ever. And every version I've played aside from the original PC version was an unbearably tedious grind to unlock the bonus levels and such.

I could probably name a half-dozen recent indie titles that I liked more just in my favourites list in my Steam library. And that's without resorting to Valve titles since they're technically independent.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

The Mako was BALLER.

You guys are forgetting the best part about Mass Effect's Mako.... The unexpected thresher maw attacks. How come is not battling a giant worm fun?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Want see a prime example of AAA-bias at work? A game like Plants vs Zombies (the second-greatest indie game of all time, and maybe the greatest non-gamer game of all time) got 2 votes.
    Sorry I only had one spot left and it went to Friut Ninja

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Plants Vs. Zombies is a pretty fun game for a while, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it the second greatest indie game ever. And every version I've played aside from the original PC version was an unbearably tedious grind to unlock the bonus levels and such.

I could probably name a half-dozen recent indie titles that I liked more just in my favourites list in my Steam library. And that's without resorting to Valve titles since they're technically independent.
    I use "indie" in the colloquial sense, although yes, Valve does technically publish the games it develops, too.

The PC version is the only version I have played, so I can't really say anything about other versions of the game. And sure, I could name games I personally enjoyed more, but I wouldn't say they were "better" than it, just that they matched my personal tastes or desires for a game more; none of them are games I've seen people around me enjoy nearly as much as PvZ.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

A lot of people around me enjoyed Wii Sports but it's not a very good game.

There are a lot of indie games I would say are better games than Plants Vs. Zombies. Certainly not as popular, but I don't factor that into the equation when I evaluate a game. If we're going to debate games based on their level of success then certainly PvZ is up there.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Dark Souls
    2011 – PC, PS3, Xbox 360
    7 Nominations

As the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls, Dark Souls had a lot to live up to. Demon's Souls already established a game with an exact and punishing challenge, flexibility in accommodation for a large amount of playstyles, a combat system that rewarded deliberacy and precision, and a seamless multiplayer component. So how would Dark Souls take these established elements and progress them further?

Perhaps the biggest change between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls is the game's structure. No longer do players access different levels through a central hub, but all regions of the world of Lordran are seamlessly connected in a way that evokes memories of Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night. As players progress through the game, they will unlock doors or activate elevators that enable quick traversal through its world, and after a certain point, they can use the bonfires strewn throughout the land (the only beacons of safety and warmth) to warp between locations. Due to its seamless structure, Dark Souls offers even more flexibility in play than its predecessor; just like the aforementioned Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night, players can progress through the game in a large variety of ways and tackle the game's first and second halves in essentially any order. It is this vast freedom offered to the player that makes Dark Souls an even more compelling experience, in many ways, than Demon's Souls was before it.

Besides changes to the game's progression, it feels largely like a logical increment of what Demon's Souls had to offer. Multiplayer has been expanded through the covenant system which, while sloppily executed in some aspects, offers new amounts of depth and replayability for those who like to invade or help others through jolly cooperation. Each covenant also has a rich and detailed backstory contained in Lordran's lore, which leads to another defining aspect of Dark Souls: its storytelling.

Though many will find its story elements lacking because they are not told to the player in the traditional sense they are accustomed to (progress through a gameplay segment, watch a cutscene, repeat), the history of the world of Lordran and the way your story as the Chosen Undead fits into it is unveiled brilliantly, rewarding those compelled to investigate further. Upon closer investigation of item descriptions or the player's surroundings, the player is able to piece together a tale that is much larger than the scope of his own adventure. The tragedies of Seath, the Witches of Izalith, and Priscilla; the decay of the world of Lordran as a whole; the failures of many before you in Sen's Fortress; all are hidden away, left to be discovered by investigative players in a way that further adds to the atmosphere and mystique of the game's world. This indirect method of storytelling through observation and context, inspired by the creator's own experiences trying to piece together English fantasy stories as a Japanese child, is one of the most defining aspects of Dark Souls, and serves to tell a tale of massive scope without once interrupting the gameplay.

With the depth of its combat, multiplayer, flexibility, and lore, it is easy to see why many consider Dark Souls one of the finest games of the generation.
    Heavy Rain (3)
    Darkest Hour (2)
    The World Ends With You (2)
    Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (1)
    Analogue: A Hate Story (1)
    Saints Row 2 (1)
    Muramasa: The Demon Blade (1)
    Warrior's Orochi 2 (1)
    Resident Evil 6 (1)

I will take this moment to announce that Dragon Age: Origins actually received two nominations, but my Excel spreadsheet did not pick this up because I had typed both "Dragon Age Origins" and "Dragon Age: Origins", both with one nomination each. Whoops.