• Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

My guess for top 3:

Uncharted 2
    Minecraft
    Skyrim

Probably in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure New Vegas will be one of them. I'd also be somewhat shocked if Minecraft wasn't one of them.
    New Vegas was already mentioned. But not Elder Scrolls!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Oh, right, I forgot that wasn't actually Fallout 3.

Skyrim is clearly a worse game than New Vegas, but I guess it's a pretty good game still.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Next guess to go along with all yours: Final Fantasy XIII will take top spot!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

As for The Last of Us: it was a wonderful game with one of the deepest character relationships I've ever seen in games. The stealth gameplay was very fun and a nice change in pace to run-and-gun style of other games. It was also absolutly stunning to look at. The most beautiful game I've ever played. And it took place in an post-apocalypse!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I'll actually be surprised if Skyrim is up there. I liked it quite a bit, but most threads about it on here turn into some sort of weird "Am I the only person who didn't like this game" thing, which is hilarious because clearly you people aren't if everyone else is saying the same thing!

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I'll actually be surprised if Skyrim is up there. I liked it quite a bit, but most threads about it on here turn into some sort of weird "Am I the only person who didn't like this game" thing, which is hilarious because clearly you people aren't if everyone else is saying the same thing!
    I adore Skyrim.

I'm betting Skyrim, Minecraft and.... and...

I can't think of another really big hit that hasn't already been on here.
    I'll go with Del's answer of Uncharted 2, but in my opinion The Last of Us was way better.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Articles
    Blog Entries

This thread in a nutshell: everyone else's taste in video games sucks apart from my own, I am the last authority on video games and my word is law.

I understand anyone who didn't like the Mako in Mass Effect 1 or thought it was slower compared to 2. It really does show it JRPG side when you reach the Citadel and 2 improves on a lot of the gameplay. It didn't help that I played 2 first. I just personally have a preference towards the crew in the first game and the story over the second.

Dark Souls was clever. Never played The Last of Us (god I want to) but I haven't heard a single bad thing about this game since it came out, so no surprises here.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    This thread in a nutshell: everyone else's taste in video games sucks apart from my own, I am the last authority on video games and my word is law.
    I think you mean "EoFF gaming forums in a nutshell".

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Finally! Someone who gets me!

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I think you mean "EoFF gaming forums in a nutshell".
    This is still true if you subtract "EoFF gaming," though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I just like Freelancer and Crisis Core. Anyone who enjoys any other games is wrong.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I grew bored of Dark Souls after awhile. I can see the appeal, I think it's a great game, but there's only so many times you can lose your stuff because you die to some bulltrout before you get back to your soul before you grow fed up with the mechanic. For me that number was twice. The first time I lost a significant amount I quit for days. The second time I quit for good. Not worth bothering, it just seems like pointlessly punishing someone and you can say "Git gud" all you like, it doesn't change that I think it's a fundamentally bad mechanic that ruined a lot of fun I was having in the game. It's not punishingly difficult, that implies that the game itself is hard - it's not, once you get the hang of it. It's just that the inevitable screwups we all make in any game are punished.

Also there's a point where storytelling is too subtle and unintrusive. I COULD scour every last engraving in the world to try and learn about the history of Random Asshole Undead #27,412 but why the hell would I bother doing that? I'd chase down all kinds of things if I actually care - look at how much sperging I've done over Morrowind and how ten years later we're still finding things in the game - but there's got to be a hook to begin with and Dark Souls just doesn't have that. Also there's 'exploration', and then there's 'just a bunch of stuff' that people try to fit into a coherent narrative because that's what we do when we're fans of things.

All that said the combat is supremely well-executed and the game has nearly flawless aesthetic design, as well as being astonishingly gorgeous. I don't even oppose it being on a list like this, necessarily, I just think it's very overrated. One of the best games of the generation? I can see that. One of the best games ever made ever ever? ... nah.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm glad to see The Last of Us on the list. Unfortunately, I didn't vote for it since I hadn't played through the majority of it until after sending in nominations. I tried playing Uncharted 3 afterwards and it was just so hard to get used to. The controls felt way worse and the gameplay was much less interesting. I know they are different story genres, but I do hope future Naughty Dog games take more after The Last of Us than Uncharted.

I'm excited to see what else makes the list!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Knowing Naughty Dog I doubt they'll make a game like Uncharted again so I wouldn't worry too much about whether future titles take after it or not. They seem pretty happy to start a series, make a few games, then move on to something different. It's one of the things I respect most about them.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Knowing Naughty Dog I doubt they'll make a game like Uncharted again so I wouldn't worry too much about whether future titles take after it or not. They seem pretty happy to start a series, make a few games, then move on to something different. It's one of the things I respect most about them.
    They announced another one.