Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 61620212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: EoFF's Top Games of the Generation: Revelations

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-Nercy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Chie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    They um... They do a lot of kart games, do they?
    1 for each of their IP's so far. At leas on PS.
    As well as Crash Team Racing, wasn't there a Jak and Daxter karting game too? Could be wrong.
    actually 3 kart games for Crash and a racer for Jak (jak x)
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Articles
    Blog Entries

Ellie: (driving down the road in a gold kart) Wee! This is fun!
    Joel: Somebody please shoot me.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Little late but, the mako is awesome! It let's you climb MOUNTAINS.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    I loved Mass Effect 1 but I hated ME2 and refused to play the third. ME from a gameplay perspective is extremely similar to KOTOR which is fine because that game was awesome. The story, exploration and everything was some good fun world building. Most of what I liked was discarded in 2 in favor of a sorry Gears of Wars style gameplay mixed with Ocean's 11...but where in Ocean's 11, the team is formed in the first 1/3 of the movie (if that) it takes the entire game to do that here. Additionally the big and massive decision at the end of the first game seems to get brushed under the rug to maintain a status quo.

Also, the MAKO was awesome and fun as hell. Gave a sense of how big and awesome the universe can be. That is replaced by a terrible scanning game from orbit. I want to explore!
    I actually preferred the Hammerhead vehicle from ME2.
    As for decision are you talking about (SPOILER) kaiden vs ashley?
    Cause I feel there are bigger decisions in both 2 and 3.
    Hammerhead? Must be some DLC thing. Never saw it in the game.

I am not talking about that at all. Though it would have been nice to actually carry over and evolve the character relationships from game to game. The decision I am talking about had to do with how you choose to end the game. Either way things are back to the status quo and you couldn't tell the difference with what you had decided. I felt it was a slap to the face. If my decision has no discernible effect, please don't give me the illusion of choice.

All of this talk makes me want to play KOTOR again.
    How are either one of those choices returning to the status quo? (SPOILER) one gives humanity a counsil seat and that shapes the third game a lot, also it allows you to remain a spectre. The other results in the deaths of the leaders of the aliens blocks of lots of stuff in the third game
    I played the second game, not the third game. I already talked about why I dislike the second game and it made me think my choices in the first game were largely irrelevant. If those choices finally manifest themselves in the 3rd game then it sounds like they should have skipped the second and moved straight to the third, or at least cut down all of the time in the second spent gathering people.

That said, I don't ever plan on playing the third game. Doesn't look like I would enjoy it.
    Last edited by edczxcvbnm; 12-04-2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Typo machine

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Haven't played The Last of Us, but it's on my Christmas wish list!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-Nercy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    They um... They do a lot of kart games, do they?
    1 for each of their IP's so far. At leas on PS.
    As well as Crash Team Racing, wasn't there a Jak and Daxter karting game too? Could be wrong.
    actually 3 kart games for Crash and a racer for Jak (jak x)
    Only one Crash Racing game was by Naughty Dog, and that was the best (Crash Team Racing) and that appeared on PS1. The other racing games are sub par.
    Jak X is also super enjoyable. :3

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Valkyria Chronicles
    2008 – PS3
    9 Nominations

This is probably the first major advancement the whole Strategy RPG genre has seen in a long time. Forget tiles, let's move all of the soldiers you control in a completely 3D environment. While we're at it, let's toss in some mother smurfing tanks. Because smurf yeah! Tanks! And you'll have to use the terrain to your advantage so you can take cover from enemy fire, get the drop on enemy soldiers, and generally complete missions without losing anyone. Because when someone dies, they stay dead aside from a few key story characters.

Don't think there's enough variety with your different soldier classes, tanks, and those fancy 3D levels? How about adding in a wide variety of crazy mission objectives and challenges to overcome? You'll be sneaking through enemy territory in the dead of night, flanking enemy bases and tanks through nearby hills, fighting tanks the size of office buildings, and blowing up bridges to destroy a train with the biggest piece of artillery you've ever seen on it. Oh, and you have to dodge those artillery bombardments on your way to the bridge.

The story's interesting as well as a sort of fictional Europe type place finding itself embroiled in a bit of a fictional World War 2. It's not quite as dark and serious as that premise might lead you to believe, and the gorgeous graphics that make the world look like a watercolour painting would certainly seem to support that. Plus there's some magic and ancient races thrown into the mix as well, but the story is loaded with some likable characters, and does feature it's fair share of more serious moments and losses as the war takes it's toll.

You do yourself a disservice if you don't play this game.

Tales of Vesperia (3)
    Mario Kart Wii (2)
    Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (2)
    Hitman: Absolution (1)
    Lost Planet (1)
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (1)
    Sengoku Basara 3: Samurai Heroes (1)
    Natural Selection 2 (1)
    Words With Friends (1)
    Risen 2 (1)

I am away to the cinema tonight, so I'll only be able to reveal one more today! That leaves the big finale to appear tomorrow. :}

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Haven't played The Last of Us, but it's on my Christmas wish list!
    Likewise, my friend. Likewise.

Edit: @Nomination, never heard of it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Ooh, dark horse. I played the demo for this but couldn't get into it. I prefer my strategy from a top down view.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Well deserved spot on the list, although I would have liked the game to have a little more consequences especially when a squad member goes down. The save and load options made it a little too easy for my tastes. Loved the combat and the characters!

Blog Entries

Good game. I forgot all about it during nominations. The story hasn't really stayed with me but the characters, gameplay and graphics have. It's not a game I've been looking to replay at the moment, but I have never considered trading it in either.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I am completely blown away by the discovery that there is actually some justice in this world. Valkyria Chronicles is a better game than everything that's asppeared on this list thus far.

It was a gorgeous evolution of the SRPG formula and the story actually does get more dark and mature as the plot progresses, culminating in a pretty haunting sight in the finale. Replaying this gamea few months ago, I was taken aback at just how polished the presentation feels even today, especially on a high refresh rate HDTV. I also like that the enemy corpses don't disappear, even in the cutscene after the first fight, where Alicia resolves to bury them, establishing that killing isn't such a great thing, even in times of war. Anyone getting a PS3 for the first time and looking for which exclusives they should buy, this should be near the top of your list.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    You know what? It really was.
    Yes, it was. You're just no true scifi fan if you don't think it's cool to park your vehicle and get outside on a barren planet with two massive binary stars in the sky.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...3-45-40-52.jpg
    See? It's awesome.

And Valkyria Chronicles is a great game. I am ashamed that I forgot to nominate it.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    And Valkyria Chronicles is a great game. I am ashamed that I forgot to nominate it.
    It would have been first if you had then.

What a good game. I'm pretty surprised it got this many nominations, but I certainly can't complain. If I was voting for just "real" console games (no PC or handheld allowed) I'd probably have picked this as the single best game of the last generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    Well deserved spot on the list, although I would have liked the game to have a little more consequences especially when a squad member goes down. The save and load options made it a little too easy for my tastes. Loved the combat and the characters!
    Just play with the discipline to not reload whenever something goes wrong. Just because virtually every game and literally every emulated game can be save-scummed to drastically reduce difficulty doesn't mean you have to do it. The only reason I "save" in games at all is in case my system crashes, or I encounter a bug, or the power goes out, or I need to quit and do something else. Never because I just don't like the outcome of what has transpired. It leads to some interesting experiences in games with a lot of consequence and choice.