Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Games you have never heard of that are really good?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Populous 3 aka Populous: The Beginning, a PC game from 1998. It was a bit hard to find even when I bought it in early 2000's. Unlike other Populous games, you aren't a god, you're just a shaman. Terraforming was very satisfying. As was creating a tornado or volcano directly in the middle of someone else's village. Supposedly you can get the game now from here but I don't know if this is legit, and it probably isn't legal.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Populous: The Beginning is available on GOG.com, for anyone who is interested. x}

Fluttershy Recognized Member Ashi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

Both of these have already been mentioned but:
    Ghost Trick on the DS and Eternal Darkness of GameCube.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Clannad.

You can make an argument about how much of a game a visual novel actually is, but it's underappreciated on this side of the globe either way. Probably because it never actually reached it... and the only way to play it is to (*cough*) import (*cough*) it all the way from Japan and patch it in English. But it's so damn worth it.

I only just discovered it in mid-October and I can say, without a doubt in my mind, that it has my favorite story and cast of characters to date (quite skillfully took that away from Final Fantasy). I got to know it through the anime culture, but well, turns out the original visual novel is superior, go figure. Although I don't regret having seen the animated series beforehand.

It's about 40-60 hours long, depending on your reading speed and whether or not you use guides / how good you are at making the right choices. It's an amazing experience. It also has one of my all-time favorite soundtracks, on par with some Final Fantasy soundtracks.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I am disappointed and have a formal complaint. I have heard of more than half of the games mentioned in this thread.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    If I've never heard of it, how can I know if it's any good or not!
    i guess i should have said games that you had never heard of :x

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosteses View Post
    i got the idea for this thread when my aunt got drunk yesterday (lol sucker) and let slip that she got me a game for 7 dollars for PSP called Kingdom of Paradise.

I <3 games so i got excited and google'd for oogles about it and... it seems super rare. It is almost as old as i am (big suprise right) but it never really seems like a lot of people have played it but the people that have 8 out of 10 think it is a great game and one of the best action RPGs on the PSP.

it is exciting for me because i do not have a action RPG on my psp yet and I am not sure if i have ever even played one before ;o

so the question is asked... what rare games that are actually really good and deserve to be played by way more people? discuss =D

~Betsy~
    I played a ton of this game until I got stuck and waited too long to look up hints or walkthroughs and lost interest. But until then it was surprisingly good for an older lower budget game. Everyone compared it to Jade Empire, which was a well received game that BioWare did before Mass Effect when they wanted to finally do their own IP after doing a bunch of super high quality licensed games

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    The Little Big Adventure games. They're great 90s adventure games with amazing characters and stuff.

(They're not related to Little Big Planet by the way)
    Here the second one was called Twinsen's Odyssey. ​I really enjoyed that game when it came out! Ah the 90's... Full of gems.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Chulips: I bought this on a whim in a double-pack from SEARS. I really didn't expect much from it. The game paired with it: Falling Stars is one I mention in the worst games possible thread.

i got the idea for this thread when my aunt got drunk yesterday (lol sucker) and let slip that she got me a game for 7 dollars for PSP called Kingdom of Paradise.
    I've heard of KoP. I heard it got generally negative reviews for simplicity (graphics, gameplay, story, etc.), I've never played it because I never picked up a lot of games for PSP (luckily, since my PSP broke). I did own Dissidia and Final Fantasy I&II and Dungeon Maker. Now the only game I own is Crisis Core which remains the only reason I want to get a replacement PSP.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post

I <3 games so i got excited and google'd for oogles about it and... it seems super rare. It is almost as old as i am (big suprise right) but it never really seems like a lot of people have played it but the people that have 8 out of 10 think it is a great game and one of the best action RPGs on the PSP.

it is exciting for me because i do not have a action RPG on my psp yet and I am not sure if i have ever even played one before ;o

so the question is asked... what rare games that are actually really good and deserve to be played by way more people? discuss =D

~Betsy~
    I played a ton of this game until I got stuck and waited too long to look up hints or walkthroughs and lost interest. But until then it was surprisingly good for an older lower budget game. Everyone compared it to Jade Empire, which was a well received game that BioWare did before Mass Effect when they wanted to finally do their own IP after doing a bunch of super high quality licensed games
    might be off topic but i am going to look up jade empire now! i guess i have not been able to tell the game is lower budget yet but... that might be because it is so old compared to the newer games i have played xD

i just beat the first boss finally today. it took a bit to figure things out and the camera is different then i thought it would be (i was thinking it would be more like zelda)

but it does not ruin the game.

none skippable cut scenes on a portable game though? why! :x at least you can speed through them! xD

Apparently this "Final Fantasy" is pretty good.

Most DOS games

Like Commander Keen, Jazz Jackrabbit ( even though Game Grumps did a episode on it ) Monster Mash & more.

Ghostses, just to let you know in case you fall into the same trap I did: I don't think they teach you this, but it's important to know that in order to block, you hold the attack button. I got stuck in a hard fight for a long time until I finally looked that up

one of the last games made by Shiny Entertainment, Sacrifice was before its time and deserves more attention.

The voice acting is incredible, the music is beautiful, the setting is breathtaking, and the characters and creatures are unique. I love this game despite only beating it once, final boss is damn intense. Get the game off of GOG already!

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Old DOS games. I'll take Scorched Earth over those Worms games any day. Monuments of Mars made for a fun platformer as well.

As for something newer, but a little more heard of, Guitaroo Man is a simple, but very fun and silly music rhythm game. And Rez is always fun for a spin.