Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Default stupid people at cinemas

I went to see The Book Thief last night and we sat down in our seats. Okay so imagine there's a walkway in the middle separating the seating into two halves: we were sat in the back row, right next to the aisle (2 seats btw). Anyway, these people rock up and shuffle over a little and sit down and it's all good for a while, watching the previews.

Then some people show up and stand next to us looking around and they say their seat numbers out loud and I'm like 'oh snap those people are in their seat' and the new people are like 'hey folks you're uh in our' and the chick next to us is like 'uh yeah but THEY'RE in OUR seats' and we're like whoa back the smurf up here are our tickets right here that say our seat number. So anyway those two smurf off somewhere else and the trio of new folk sit down in their designated seats.

Anyway like three minutes later some people show up and apparently the two from earlier are sitting in their seats and the woman just loses her trout and they go home.

I guarantee that her tickets were either a) for different seats b) for a different cinema c) for a different time d) for a different movie altosmurfinggether. And I understand how frustrating that must be for her but like either find your seat or find A seat and just bounce around until you're fine. BUT on the flipside holy trout all these people are like "uh you're in my seat" -- the cinema was only like half full at best so it's not like there was a shortage of seats.

I don't understand why going to see a smurfing movie is such a trying experience for some people? Also I don't understand why every mother smurfer needs a one seat buffer in case of cooties? Like I get that having some personal space is nice but do you know how many extra people could fit if you didn't want to sit away from everyone else I mean smurf.

This is why I stay home and torrent my movies on my own like the sad sack of trout I have become

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I've only had pleasant experiences aside from people making out in the AMC theaters too noisily. I mean look, I know it's dark and the comfy seats recline and you can pull the armrest up so it's like a really spacious leather couch but there are people here

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Australia has assigned seats for movie theatres?
    It's like some sort of totalitarian dictatorship.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

We have assigned seats from time to time here, used to be more prevalent but there's been more open seating these days.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    It's like some sort of totalitarian dictatorship.
    don't even get me smurfing started

alright too late I'm making a thread

FFXIV Character

Viadana Solacaire (Sargatanas)

There is one that has assigned seats in ATL too. It's very nice though. The chairs are practically napping beds. Much Amase.
    what kind of nation should we build? a good nation? a nation of plenty? a nation of muffled joy?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

There are some theaters around KC that do assigned seats. I don't know if your aware of the Alamo Drafthouse, Jinx, but I'm pretty sure they do assigned seats.

Anyways, the only thing I really have to deal with in theaters is people talking. I saw The Secret Life of Walter Mitty recently, and there were several people who liked to talk at the movie. Such as, if you've seen the trailers, when the e-Harmony guy on the phone tells Walter "So have you done anything worthwhile or worth mentioning?" or however it's worded, the people in front of us had to say "NO!" really loud. Lots of moments like that.

My favorite memory of people talking has to be when I saw Transformers 2 (which wasn't a good movie, so it wasn't that big a deal). The guy next to me kept answering his phone like every 10-20 minutes. "Yeah! I'm at the movies! I'll call you back later!" His phone was kept on silent, but it didn't stop him from answering. Also his son was being very cutely excited throughout the whole movie. He would be jumping up and down in his seat sometimes yelling things like "Look dad, it's Optimus Prime!" "It's a tiny decepticon!" etc etc. I honestly thought it made the movie more interesting, but it was kind of annoying.

Blog Entries

At first I hated assigned seating because
    a) when the ticket seller asked you where you wanted to sit and you'd say as close to the centre back as possible (like a normal human) and they'd stick you too close to the screen or too much to the side
    b) because I was one of those sad people who went to the cinema early to get a good seat before the previews
    c) you had to purchase all your tickets at once so no one is made to sit far away which is a problem if they only sell one student ticket per student card or someone doesnt show up

however now there are self serve touch screens and choosing my own seat is very convenient.

I'll usually make a fuss if someone is in my seat because
    a) Unlike in QLD it's $17 a ticket so yes I want to sit in the awesome seat I assigned myself not a troutty off centre one.
    b) I dont want to accidentally sit in someone elses seat and have to go through the same awkwardness a second time on the wrong end.

I hate when someone talks loudly in a cinema, especially if its not about the movie, but I usually wont do anything about it.
    There were young children litterally running around making noise when I went to see the last Harry Potter movie (I went early on a monday weeks after it came out just to avoid this problem.)

I also hate it when the speakers are up WAY too loud.
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 01-19-2014 at 10:26 AM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

We don't have assigned seats for the theaters we go to, and thankfully we haven't had to deal with stupid people at the cinema in general. On the road to the cinema, maybe, but never at the actual cinema.

Must be a Book Thief thing, because when I went to go see the movie, some 11 year old brat keep on poking me all throughout the movie.

I turned around and gave him the evil stare and to his Mum, and like 5 mins later, the poking started happening again.

I should have thrown my popcorn at him.

assigned seats for movie theatres?

This not a common worldwide thing ??

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    a) Unlike in QLD it's $17 a ticket so yes I want to sit in the awesome seat I assigned myself not a troutty off centre one.
    I'm pretty sure this is what I pay, or thereabouts, even on a student ticket. There's this one cinema in brisbane that does $8 student tickets though and it's almost worth it. Cinemas are bollocks expensive everywhere man

also Scotty I had an interesting experience at Transformers 2 as well. This guy next to me kept trying to have a conversation. He was a bit of a douche bag and was making lewd comments about Megan Fox so I told him I was gay and he shut up

Blog Entries

Everyone i know who visits QLD tells me how ridiculously cheap tickets are ($12 or so)
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    Everyone i know who visits QLD tells me how ridiculously cheap tickets are ($12 or so)
    where the hell are they going?! prices are generally between 15-18 + extra if it's 3D but I guess there are loads of independent places that are cheaper? Event Cinemas are not cheap by any stretch unless I've been getting screwed

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I didn't even know cinemas had assigned seats anymore. :o

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Is that... unusual?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?