Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Mythology!

Ta daaaa! Mythology!

I can probably bet a lot of you are total Mythology geeks! What are your favs?

Do you have any Gods/Goddesses that you identify with?

I love Greek and Egyptian mythology. I used to be fascinated by Ancient Egypt as a kiddo, and when I started studying Greek philosophy in my teens I feel more in love with Greek Mythology too. I just think the stories are so interesting, I love seeing films about mythology, or using some of the themes.

Part of the reason I loved Tomb Raider TLR is because it was sooooo Egypt centris. Amazing! I think I'm going to change my av and sig set to the Greek Goddess Artemis for a bit, so if anyone wants to jump on a Mythology kick then join in!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Egyptian mythology was definitely where it started for me too, but since then it has leaked to all sorts of facets of ancient culture. It has been a long time since I've had a dig into this particular fascination of mine, should probably get some readin' and learnin' on soon.

Or play Age of Mythology, w/e.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Greek mostly. I watched a lot of Hercules and Xena growing up as a kid and Sailor Moon is heavily inspired by the mytho if I remember right. Don't have a god or anything I really identify with, but I haven't thought about it that hard.

I love Egyptian mythology and ancient history, it's why I fell in love with the Stargate movie and SG-1 straight away. I also like other culture's mythology too, especially Greek.

However, for some strange reason I am more highly inclined to Arabic and Persian mythology overall.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

people wearing dragon shirts and waving swords around have ruined mythology for me and ripped from it any appeal it might once have had

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I've never really looked into much Arabic and Persian Mythology Rostum, I think I will check it out! This will probably make me sound like a derp, but I really love the Prince of Persia games which I'm sure would have many roots in the Persian lore.

I've become quite fascinated by Aboriginal mythology and Dreamtime Stories since being here.

I really, really love Greek Mythology, I read books on it all the time. I find it so interesting.

It was mentioned before, but shows/movies/games like Stargate and TR:TLR really got me into Egyptian Mythology for a while. I think Daniel Jackson made me want to grow up to be an archaeologist when I was a kid too!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Big fan of Norse. I like all sorts though, mythology is just an absolute gold mine for great stories.

also yeah check out the Dreamtime stories if you guys can because far out they're awesome

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

FFXIV Character

Minami Chan (Moogle)

I love Greek mythology ever since I studied it at high school. My favourite god/goddess are Hades and Aphrodite

Blog Entries

Egyptian, Greek, Norse.

I find it insanely fascinating that the Aeons/GFs/Eidolons in FF are based on mythology of some sort.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Greek mythology: I love it and have read much of it but most "heroes" are colossus dicks.

The variety of Egyptian cosmologies are fun!

I know a bit of Nordic, it is interesting but a bit confusing at time.

Japanese mythology is rather interesting at times too.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

This might come as a surprise to you, but I know a bit about norse mythology.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I honestly should know more about mythology, but my knowledge is pretty limited to Greek/Roman. I was obsessed with Egyptian mythology as a kid and would always go back and forth between my Egypt and astronomy on any reports I had to write in elementary and middle school. Most of that knowledge is gone now, though.

Greek/Roman mythology is fascinating, though. It's hard to say if I relate to any of their gods and goddesses just because they are pretty much all awful people, at least the male gods. The heroes tend to be pretty terrible people by my standpoint too, but they had a completely different culture and set of values. Despite being fascinated by the mythology, I don't really enjoy The Odyssey and The Iliad at all which is where a lot of what we know about the mythology comes from. I'm not a fan of Epic poetry in general, and the character of Odysseus annoys me. I did find The Aeneid enjoyable on the Roman side of things though. I much preferred reading about the gods and goddesses through the Percy Jackson books because the stories hold surprisingly true to the original mythology in general, but the heroes are more likable.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Egyptian, Greek and Norse as well for me. Anyone who knows me knows I often like to name my pets after gods or persons of mythological interest

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Egyptian mythology was definitely where it started for me too, but since then it has leaked to all sorts of facets of ancient culture. It has been a long time since I've had a dig into this particular fascination of mine, should probably get some readin' and learnin' on soon.
    Same for me! Egyptian was what led an interest into learning about others. I started reading about it when I was 9~ or 10~ or so and became quickly and lengthily obsessed. Everything surrounding their sending their deceased to the afterlife, The Book of the Dead, all of their lost pharaohs and tombs, etc. It was all so incredible! Egyptian will always be my favorite. (note: it's very possible that my obsession to learn about Egyptian came from watching Raiders of the Lost Ark at an early age, but I cannot confirm this because I don't remember.)

As for the gods themselves, I have always been fond of Anubis.

I like Christian mythology. I enjoyed Paradise Lost despite my professor's seeming attempts to make it as bad as possible to read.