Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I like how House Points escalated to ridiculous levels. At the start you got one good point for doing a good thing, and lost one for being an idiot. Then it became five, then ten, and then next thing you know FIFTY POINTS FROM GRYFFINDOR. Someone put a smurfing lid on this points arms race.

Dumbledore :
    Slytherin is winning ?

Dumbledore :

Dumbledore :
    899, 9999 pts to Gryffindor, for being my favorite house. Not biased or anything.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    I like how House Points escalated to ridiculous levels. At the start you got one good point for doing a good thing, and lost one for being an idiot. Then it became five, then ten, and then next thing you know FIFTY POINTS FROM GRYFFINDOR. Someone put a smurfing lid on this points arms race.

Dumbledore :
    Slytherin is winning ?

Dumbledore :

Dumbledore :
    899, 9999 pts to Gryffindor, for being my favorite house. Not biased or anything.
    I refer to this scene every time I play mario party when the bonus stars are handed out

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    The cold, austere exterior masks a very damaged person which you can see in stuff like the end of Book 3 when he loses it thanks to Sirius not getting the Dementors Kiss.

And since Sirius tried to have him MAULED TO DEATH, I don't blame him.
    I thought this scene was very out of character for Snape when I re-read it but years after I realised it wasnt just because of the mauling thing. It was because Snape thought Sirius was the one who betrayed Lily and co to Voldemort
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 03-14-2014 at 04:26 PM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I imagine Snape becomes a very different character, with different motivations than we originally saw, in a second read through, knowing how he felt about Lily, etc. (Still excuses nothing)

Like how in Snape's Worst Memory we originally thought it was the worst because he was publically humiliated and all that (at least I did), but with some hindsight, we can see that really its because that was when he lost his only friend by being an absolute dick to her. :3

Dumbledore :
    Slytherin is winning ?

Dumbledore :

Dumbledore :

It sends a bad message when you let the Voldemort Youth win.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pretty disappointed with the Helena Ravenclaw and her mother's diadem business in the book. That was one of my favorite scenes in the movie, and I always liked that Tom has tricked it away from her and defiled it with blackmagic and that she was reluctant to trust anyone else with it. I also like that she gave him a riddle to help him find the diadem in a true Ravenclaw fashion. I also super love Kelly MacDonald.

The scene in the book felt rushed and unimportant as if she cared very little about the diadem. It was as though it was thrown in there for quirky trivia in revealing about Helena's death and the Bloody Baron. I am disappointed.

My chief complaint about Book 7 is that...Dumbledore was completely right about everything. You might remember in Book 6 he predicted the two unknown Horcruxes would be an object from one of the Founders and his pet snake.

I was absolutely certain going into the book he'd be wrong about Nagini. Like, Harry would go through a lot of effort to kill the thing and then Voldemort would laugh in his face. "You think I'd put part of my soul in my pet? GET REAL POTTER."

But nope, there were no surprises there at all. it was the crown of Ravenclaw and the damned snake and then Voldemort basically killed himself by being that retarded.

Bleh.

I loved that Snape was a good guy all along. In a way I could see it coming but not to the extent of how important he was to beating Voldemort. I also love that one of my favourite music artists of time had a 4 second cameo in The prisoner of Azkaban.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bWOfqJZuHs
    Ride ze shoopuff

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I will show you my hidden horcrux...

image.jpg

Not all Slytherin's are bad and Gryffindor's are not always good. Hell Peter was a Gryffindor and he was willing to let Harry's parents die, and serve Voldemort.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not all Slytherin's are bad and Gryffindor's are not always good. Hell Peter was a Gryffindor and he was willing to let Harry's parents die, and serve Voldemort.
    Tru Dat.

Also, McClaggen was a knob and he was Gryffindor. I suppose he was hardly evil though compared to Pettigrew.

Slytherin's pendant was mentioned in the Order of the Phoenix when they cleaned Sirius' house. It must be when Molly had problems casting a spell and was all like "you must think bad of me who cannot even do this ..."

What I did not really like was that Harry was pretty much invincible throughout the whole series because of his mother's love, then the dual core, then being able to come back from the edge of life and death and being the owner the Elder Wand. At least the final battle should not have been that one-sided because Harry owned Dumbledore's wand.
    Even though it had the same problem I like the final movie more as it had an actual final battle that was not just one page long like "Avada Kedavra" - "Expelliarmus" - Voldemort hurt itself in confusion - Voldemort faints.

What I do like is that Dumbledore was still shown to be the total hero. I mean many people were like "Boo, he planned that for Harry and he was an ass when he was young" but he did it for the greater good, always supported Harry and still planned that Harry could survive so except not telling him there was nothing really "bad" as there was no actual problem for Harry and he was save even after sacrificing himself so he did not just want Harry to die for that and that's it. And he even felt bad about himself but Harry did nseot lo faith in Dumbledore. He is my most favourite character in the series and if you ask me he is the true hero, a man who sacrificed his own life to help Snape getting Voldemort to trust him. And to not feel totally bad about him as reader he was also given the curse so he did not have much time left anyway.

The whole house point thing was "riddiculus", even though it is meant for a total happy ending for every book, but they did not win all the time. Still it was random for the story itself.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 03-15-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The pendant had nothing to do with Molly having trouble against the boggart; she wasn't wearing it, they threw it away.

The house point system is in place to teach them about accountability and how your bad (or good) behavior affects your classmates. Of course, it's not really like Harry or Ron ever cared much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

I didn't say it was the reason I said it was the time when it was mentioned, so the cleaning part.

For the first...four or five books, Slytherin = House of Evil. That's undeniable. They are all racist, all the girls are described as being ugly, they cheat at Quidditch... They have no redeeming qualities at all.

Now, in theory, Slytherin House isn't so bad. Dumbledore said in CoS:
    "Listen to me Harry. You happen to have many qualities Salazar Slytherin prized in his handpicked students. His own very rare gift, Parseltongue - resourcefulness - determination - a certain disregard for rules."

And then Phineas Black's quote in HBP:
    "We Slytherins are brave, yes, but not stupid. For instance, when given the choice, we will always choose to save our own necks."

Salazar Slytherin probably was suspicious of Half-Bloods and Muggleborns because at that time, being a witch was kinda dangerous. But over time his pragmatism was warped into just generic discrimination, racism and hatred.

Yes, people like to say "well the Slytherin we see in the books is post-Voldemort. A lot of the kids are sons of Death Eaters and Slytherin House probably wasn't always like that."

Okay...but since it's THAT Slytherin House we saw for six books, it's the one that matters. And it is demonstrably ugly and hated by every other house in the school.

There were a grand total of 3 good Slytherins in these books - Snape, Regulus and Slughorn.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

If we're counting Snape and Regulus amongst the good Slytherins--because they turned from evil--then you've got to count all three Malfoys. In the end, they just wanted to be together and didn't care about Voldemort winning. I mean, Narcissa saved Harry's life in the forest. Even if it was only so she could eventually save Draco, it came from a place of love.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.