Thread: Harry Potter General Discussion

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I liked Deathly Hallows a lot, but I thought it was one of the weaker books. I'm good at just escaping into a world that I don't really think about those issues while I'm reading though.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Don't forget the diadem in the sixth book as well! Just mentioned briefly in one sentence. I loved both of those things. And yeah, right after reading the sixth book I was like, "HARRY YOU GOON THE LOCKET IS IN GRIMMAULD PLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE"
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I mean, don't get me wrong. I still enjoy Deathly Hallows. I just don't love it. But I do think there are some really exceptional parts of it, and the ending of the wedding chapter has to be probably my number one HP moment in the entire series. I think the first third of the book is brilliant, and I enjoy the Battle of Hogwarts. It's just the in between bits I don't care for (and the anti-climax and shoddy epilogue).

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Mugglenet have a podcast in which they read a chapter a week and encourage a more thorough look into all the bits and pieces of the books. They're just about done Goblet of Fire. It's an interesting listen, and certainly they have highlighted things I never thought of.

Just in case anyone else is interested in that sort of thing. :3

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have always and will always love Snape. Especially Alan Rickman's portrayal of him. Wonderfully brilliant. I sobbed my stupid smurfing eyes out during Deathly Hallows Part II.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Don't forget the diadem in the sixth book as well!
    Ha, yeah that was brilliant!

I understand what you mean. When they were apparating around aimlessly for a while it did get a little dull. But that was interspersed with them infiltrating the ministry and then later Gringotts which was just awesome.

This is one of those things I still geek out about and always will. Sometimes you find a special fandom and marry it for life. I'll still be talking about this trout when I'm 50 as if it just came out yesterday.

I have read all the books multiple times because my brain can't be filled with useful trout. I need to make sure only pop culture is in there. It's weird for me reading them now, because I want to imagine kids attached to their phones and ipods when Harry Potter was born in 1980 and the books are in the 90's. The decade of glorious pop music and hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    I disagree with that, but that's just my opinion. I'm not a Snape fan.

Not even Movie ! Snape ??

You ought to be careful. People will think you’re…
    [sees Harry staring at him]

Professor Severus Snape: “Up to something.”

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I love Snape as a character - very well written and all that jazz. I also shed some tears at his backstory, because it was pretty heartbreak.

But like, he is a complete dick at all times for no real reason - and no that heartbreak past doesn't excuse all the horrible things he does. So I don't particularly like him very much.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Shauna and I have had this discussion on Facebook, and she sums up how I feel. I don't like Snape BECAUSE of how well he was written...in such a way that was intended to make you hate him, and so believably you just want to punch him in the face. Still, he's not a favorite of mine. While I can admit he's a wonderfully-written character, I don't enjoy scenes he's in.

And maybee, I like movie Snape much more. I think it's because movie Snape is much more stoic, where as book Snape was angry and cruel (at least more often than in the movies). Also, movie Snape is made to be pretty damn comical (the running gag of hitting Ron and Harry with books, for example)...and yeah, I'll echo Cobb that DHpII had me bawling. I prefer that scene in the movie to the book, because in the movie his memory comes from his tear from looking into Harry's eyes...and I just think that's really beautiful.

I prefer Book Snape because of the extreme duality of his character. He is at once one of the most level-headed and logical people around and yet he has a heaping helping of resentment and bitterness that can make him fly off the handle. That's why he is believable to me. The cold, austere exterior masks a very damaged person which you can see in stuff like the end of Book 3 when he loses it thanks to Sirius not getting the Dementors Kiss.

And since Sirius tried to have him MAULED TO DEATH, I don't blame him.

And the same for the end of Half-Blood Prince. He's supposed to be beside himself. "DON'T CALL ME A COWARD!!!" I attribute this to self-loathing on his part as he's being called a coward by James' son. James who, while he died pathetically, at least tried to fight and protect Lily, while Snape was safe and hidden.

But the movie he's just kinda mumbling and the scene loses all its power.

I also love Snape for his anti-Harry Potter beliefs.
    "Of course, it became apparent to me very quickly that he had no extraordinary talent at all. He has fought his way out of a number of tight corners by a simple combination of sheer luck and more talented friends. He is mediocre to the last degree..."

This is so true it's like Snape was hanging a lampshade. harry gets so many breaks when he does not deserve them.
    FIRST YEARS CAN'T FLY BROOMS!
    Harry does.
    WAY TO GO HARRY! WE MAKE AN EXCEPTION FOR YOU!

There's a time limit in the Second Task.
    Harry is a moron and doesn't make it in time.
    WE AWARD YOU A TON OF POINTS ANYWAY!

Snape was right all along - Harry sucks and is intensely full of himself because the entire universe bends over backwards for him.

I hate the Harry Potter movies in general though. The books are infinitely better.

Ron and hermione are literally the only couple in the series that had any development apart from Hrry and Cho. People need to stop complaining about it since it was obvious since Book 4. It's the only vaguely decent romance Rowling gave us.

I love the audiobooks of Harry Potter. I've been listening to them for over a decade now.
    Last edited by Forsaken Lover; 03-12-2014 at 09:05 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Professor Umbridge: "...and you were unsuccessful?"

Professor Snape: "Obbb-vi-ous-ly"

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I like how House Points escalated to ridiculous levels. At the start you got one good point for doing a good thing, and lost one for being an idiot. Then it became five, then ten, and then next thing you know FIFTY POINTS FROM GRYFFINDOR. Someone put a smurfing lid on this points arms race.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Teaching kids about inflation, I guess.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I like how House Points escalated to ridiculous levels. At the start you got one good point for doing a good thing, and lost one for being an idiot. Then it became five, then ten, and then next thing you know FIFTY POINTS FROM GRYFFINDOR. Someone put a smurfing lid on this points arms race.
    Weird how saving the world and being out of bed after hours are worth the same amount of housepoints
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!