Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer thread

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Default Beer thread

It's a sad truth that many people's experience with beer is limited to Coors and Budweiser and similar mass-produced, weak, watery, flavorless grossness. Nothing (much) against anyone who likes that stuff, but it's not for me. Growing up in backwoods Appalachia, this is all I thought beer was for most of my life, and I stayed away from it. Beer was something cheap that frat boys and old guys drank by the case to get hammered.

Then I moved to the Pacific Northwest, home of microbreweries and imports and a glorious beer culture. It turns out there's a great big world of delicious beer out there. "I don't like beer", people tell me. I say that you haven't tried enough! There's HUGE variety to choose from. They taste so different that it almost doesn't make sense to group them under the same term "beer". Sweet, vaguely citrusy hefeweizen; bitter, burning, hoppy IPAs; chocolaty malty goodness stouts; light, subtle, yet tasty pilsners. Heck, framboise tastes like liquified berries. Some great beer is low alcohol% and some is strong enough to kill a horse. You can have golden yellow, amber, pitch black, or anything in between. Some are good cold and some are good warm. Some are foamy and thick, some are crisp and bubbly. There are so many options. Beer has personality.

Beer can be something to relax and enjoy and savor. It's exciting to find a beer you've never had before and see how it goes. It's awesome to share new beer discoveries with friends. Beer is one of my great joys.

List favorite beers! My favorite beer is Weltenburger Kloster Barock Dunkel.

List least favorite beers! The worst beer I've had recently is Pothole Filler. Probably I could've guessed from the name.

</beersnob>

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I think most people first encounter beer from the wrong angle, like you said. That's sad because it means a lot of people think they don't like beer when what they really mean is that they don't like crappy beer.

I'll occasionally drink lighter, cheaper beers - mainly in the summer, for the chill factor. The more flavourful beers definitely win in the long run, though. I like most IPAs I've tried, though a few of them simply get too bitter.

My favourite "big" beer brands that are available all over include Innis & Gunn, Hobgoblin, and Bishops Finger. Lately I've been exploring more local and national beers and been very happily surprised by the awesome ones we have. Oppigårds and Sleepy Bulldog would be my main two recommendations for a visitor here.

Doesn't look like I can get a hold of any Weltenburg Kloster here, unless I happen upon it in a bar some time.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I don't like beer. I have tried beers from all over the spectrum, and there is a common "beer" flavour (a kind of bitterness I suppose you could describe it as? It also appears in ales and other similar drinks, I am not sure what it is) that I just cannot stand, and it's all I can taste when I do drink it.

Maybe there is one beer out there that I will be able to enjoy, much like how I can enjoy Rekorderlig and no other ciders, but I have not yet found it.

Blog Entries

I defy anyone to drink Hobgoblin and not like it.

It's all about the Welsh valleys real ales. Brains SA, Neath Ale (Gold or Abbey, the rest are pig disgusting), Tomos Watkin, Reverend James, and if you're feeling like something strong and haven't had already had a pint beforehand, Felinfoel.

Diversify. Get a pint of mixed. If it's vile, at least you won't die wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna
    Rekorderlig
    Watch your mouth.

there was a picture here

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My favourite beer is a Belgian beer called Kwak. Like most Belgian beers it is strong (8.4%) and will blow your head off if you have too much. I like having a couple and just sipping on them from it's amazingly ridiculous looking glass.

I managed to procure my own Kwak glass when I went to Brussels. It generally gathers dust though as getting a bottle of Kwak in the UK is a tricky business.

Pic 1.jpg

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

For 8 years, I thought I didn't like beer. Then I tried wheat beer and IPAs and now i drink like every day

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    there is a common "beer" flavour (a kind of bitterness I suppose you could describe it as?
    Malted barley? Hops?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am not fond of beer, but I also haven't had much of it. I like Guinness, Blue Moon, Fat Tire, and Four Peaks. Those are about all I could name you. I always love seeing the summer ales come out, though, and I really want to try them! Ambers and oranges and fruity-looking beer looks so delicious.

But beer comes below liquor and wine for me. I'll drink it if there isn't anything else, but if my options are Budweiser, Corona, Miller, I'll have water or nothing.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I'll drink it if there isn't anything else, but if my options are Budweiser, Corona, Miller, I'll have water or nothing.
    Those options are basically just water anyway.

Picaroons is my local brewer of choice. Hard to argue with the tremendous number of options they have and they're damn well brewed. They know their stuff.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't like beer very much either, and I've tried a good range of them. Just isn't my thing, I guess.

I do actually have to hold down barf when I drink Corona, though. I made a joke in grade 7 that I hated Corona even though I never tried it. Then I actually did try it when I was 16ish~ and it was so awful. I decided I would make it through a full one (I really don't remember why) and I was shaking the whole time, it was that bad.

Most beers just taste bitter to me, but oh well.

Blog Entries

Ima be redneck..... Bud Light, Budweiser, Miller Lite...

no in all seriousness, I really like Mexican beers- Tecate, Modelo, Corona Familiar (it only comes in a 32 oz bottle, but it has an almost airier taste to it than regular corona), Victoria, Modelo/Modelo Negro, etc..

I also like Heinekin, Blue Moon, Guinness Extra Stout, and im sure there are plenty more.

Beer was an acquired taste for me... I hated it when I was 16 and in highschool, but then I started off with Michelob Ultra Light and worked my way up from there...

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh, I've had Modelo Negro! That's not bad.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Negra Modelo is pretty tasty. It's the only Mexican beer I've tried.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    there is a common "beer" flavour (a kind of bitterness I suppose you could describe it as?
    Malted barley? Hops?
    Potentially! I honestly don't know, I just can't get over the taste of it to try and appreciate the other flavours.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    I defy anyone to drink Hobgoblin and not like it.
    Tried it. Couldn't do it.

I have been told that beer is a pretty acquired taste and that if I just drank it, I'd grow to like it. But, I prefer my fruity cocktails and whatnot, so I tend to just stick to that.

Blog Entries

Cheers Dr Unne for making this thread. WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT, I LOVE BEER! I haven't had much beer lately because money, but going to a brewery and getting a sampler to try a few new beers is usually a guaranteed good night out for me. If it's a brewery I frequently go to Ill usually get a sampler with a couple that I just have to have and a couple new ones. My favorite types of beer are stouts, porters, wheats, ales, dunkels and irish reds. Im not a fan of IPA's, they're too bitter. I'm also with shorty on if the only options are miller or bud, ill just drink water. But I don't usually go to regular bars so that's not a problem.

Also, one of my local breweries releases special beers for St. Patty's day; they're all breakfast cereal themed. Coco Puff stout, Blueberry pancake ale, applejacks ale, cinnamon toast dunkel ect....THATS THIS MONDAY I CANT WAIT! I'm going after work because I can just walk there from work

San Miguel and Peroni when drinking lager.

Old Empire IPA if I buy from a shop or Guinness.

When I was in Canada I had an amazing beer called Kokanee gold, I would drink it every day if they sold it over here, I drank so much of that over two weeks.