Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Features that make you love a game.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Jesus egg huh. I'll take it.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

This reminds me of another feature.

Easter Eggs

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    There's a power slider on the right. Hold it up for several seconds, and it will fully power off instead of going to sleep.

Which frelling sucks, because I have done that accidentally while working Arcade Battle Chains in the Dissidia demo.

You can also pull the battery.
    How does it work on the Vita? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    There's a power slider on the right. Hold it up for several seconds, and it will fully power off instead of going to sleep.

Which frelling sucks, because I have done that accidentally while working Arcade Battle Chains in the Dissidia demo.

You can also pull the battery.
    How does it work on the Vita? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
    Power button on the top left. Press and hold. So much more sensible.

Also, that was a terrible movie.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

I'm going to echo what a lot of other people have mentioned and say customisation. Customising a town/village? I'm sold. Dying the colour of my armour and having the change be visible outside the equip screen? Sold. When it comes to little features that increase my love for a game by an unruly amount, customisation has to be it.

My future is fuelled by the fires of words, wit and companionship.

My ex would spend hours customizing characters or other things, even when the options weren't as intricate as something like Skyrim.

Do we consider story or writing to be a feature? If so, I'd have to go with that. I'll sit through some of the worst gameplay just to experience a worthwhile story.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would not consider story a small thing, nor would I consider its effect on the value of a game to be disproportionately massive.

I should have elaborated a bit more. I mean in cases where the story is mostly implied or hinted at by things such as easter eggs. Games like Limbo, Left 4 Dead 2, or the Trials HD riddle.

I would love to play a game in which the character doesn't need to change their base weapon to increase their stats (like in Legend of Dragoon) but can be changed for aesthetic purposes and even customized in a smithery to make it unnecessarily pretty for mere preference alone. Some people don't like being relegated to a single weapon but that's all about aesthetics as well more than usually so having a system to save multiple templates so that you don't have to go back and spend hours designing your weapon would be awesome in and of itself. Also, weapon changes could be necessary for job class changes (trading a sword for a spear).

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Kalevala View Post
    I should have elaborated a bit more. I mean in cases where the story is mostly implied or hinted at by things such as easter eggs. Games like Limbo, Left 4 Dead 2, or the Trials HD riddle.
    Aha, then I very much accept your answer, because I love this method of story... acquisition (?) also!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Actually, that isn't the case. Sony devices go into sleep mode before they totally drain, which extends the battery life considerably. But once fully drained, your current progress is just gone (as is your date/time setting, which I find annoying). It is a nice system, I think. But, while it's a great design element, I don't want anyone to think it actually builds a save state for you or anything. It's the same as closing the top screen on your 3DS or DS, except the system does it automatically.
    I know with my PSP Go, the system had a save state function and it would automatically create one when the battery runs out - it wasn't just sleep mode. Was this feature not on the regular models?

I assumed this is how it works on Vita as it won't let you power back on the system. I assume you'd have to let it go uncharged for quite a long time before it lost that information.

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalevala View Post
    Aha, then I very much accept your answer, because I love this method of story... acquisition (?) also!
    Yeah, I'm not sure what to call it either. When done correctly in can boost a game's potential for immersion exponentially.

I've never thought about that before.

Blog Entries

One simple feature makes DayZ what it is. When you die, you are dead. There are no second chances or lives.