Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Irresponsible Parenting

Blog Entries

There was a secret panic room/basement for her to hide in if anyone broke in
    And considering she's raised by a person with a gun for a hand Im sure she's been taught the 10 do's and 500 don't's of knife and gun safety.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Why is this on Tifa? Isn't Barret her guardian?
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Tifa comes across as an acting mother in this to the point when I first played the game I thought she was Marlene's mother. I figured Barrett was implied in my original post since he's just sort of 'there' when all of this is going on and Tifa's placement of Marlene and sending Aerith after her is what gets Aerith abducted by Shinra.
    --------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    There was a secret panic room/basement for her to hide in if anyone broke in
    And considering she's raised by a person with a gun for a hand Im sure she's been taught the 10 do's and 500 don't's of knife and gun safety.
    You mean the basement where you can slide down the pipes and climb up it?
    The rest of what you said is reasonable.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I teach a kid called Floyd, who's six, and he and his mate are always watching his parents' liquor store.

I'm not even going to get into the horrific details of alcohol poisoning.

What is an 8 year old supposed to do if a patron is drunk and unruly? Throw him out? Right.

Articles

An 8 year old could totally bum rush a guy out of the bar. This is the slums, she could totally mess them up.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    I teach a kid called Floyd, who's six, and he and his mate are always watching his parents' liquor store.
    Knowing people who do it in real life doesn't make it any less irresponsible.

Edit: She's four during the events of FFVII, guys.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Mr Dolphin is a pretty great parent for Priscilla. President Shinra is kind of crappy for Rufus though.

It being "irresponsible" is your opinion not a fact. Different societies have different values and customs. My mom used to go out at night all the time when she was 7. Hell, I've had more than my fair share of alcohol before I was even 13. The belief that alcohol is like kryptonite to children is a stupid one. Marlene would probably make a fine bartender.

Marlene grew up in a slum. The fact that nothing bad happened to her shows that she is capable of taking care herself. The fact that she lives in a slum with her single father, isn't dead, and acts older than her age is also proof of this.

If a badass single dad with a cybernetic machine-gun hand left his daughter at his close friend's bar, in their own neighborhood, and you were a pedophile/mugger/murderer, would you pick her as a target for your crimes? I would pick easier prey if I were a scumbag. Prey that wouldn't get me killed. Criminals are more often cowardly than bold. Besides, kids that grew up in slums are capable of taking care of themselves. Otherwise, they would be dead.

Blog Entries

Vox has a point.

No, you shouldn't leave your child alone ever in a million years- especially at that age.

But the fact is, it -does- happen in the real world. In Mexico and other "poor" countries, children are left alone- and left in alone in much more dangerous situations than what Marlene was in because Mom and/or Dad need to make money for basic necessities and have no one to watch out for their kid(s) while they're gone. They have to trust that their child(ren) will be okay when they come back.

The difference is, Marlene is lucky that she has the community of Sector 7 to kind of help her. For most of the kids who really live this life, it's not so much the same.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CAST VOX View Post

It being "irresponsible" is your opinion not a fact.
    Never said it was, but Quin was making it sound like just knowing someone who does it in real life automatically makes it okay with no other real explanation so I said what I said. I don't have a problem with your other points and I was never meaning to imply it was the alcohol that was dangerous. Nox made some good points too that I never considered before. Thanks.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You'll find life considerably less frustrating if you don't put words into other people's mouths and then get annoyed at them. xD

Marlene's predicament reminded me of Floyd, is all.