Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141828 ... LastLast

Thread: EoFF World Meetup and Live Ciddies! - London 2016

Blog Entries

In international group of EoFF members all in one place for a weekend?

By 2016 I'd probably be making enough dollar to make it a reasonable prosp - oh my god what is happening to me

there was a picture here

YES YES YES AND YES to the UK. Now let me put a camera to your face.
    Making a slow come back since 2008

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I would love to be photographed by Drift

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

oh god Cid has read this thread

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Okay, finally read through the last of the posts.

I think it's great to start planning now. I would guess that those closer to the city can commit at a later date. I mean, I can say that there is every chance I'll probably go but I have no idea what I'll be doing that far ahead. I hate making plans for the distant future, it's not something I'm good at. But this is exactly what is needed for a number of people who won't be able to go without years of saving, so I say to this entire idea. I hope some people benefit from the early notice.

Some people won't be able to make it, and I don't think we should pile pressure on them. The worst thing you can do is pressure people to go - the best meetups are always the ones where people were keen from the get-go, and the people most likely to make it were also those most keen from the get-go (or those with great financial situations). Personally, I think those North Americans that can't afford to make the journey across the pond should have their own meetup at the same time somewhere stateside. Why not, right!?

For the city, I would naturally prefer Edinburgh because I know that it's nice in June and has bucketloads of decently price accommodation (and the food prices etc. aren't as bad as London) and is a pretty city from top to bottom... however I can understand if people want to go somewhere different. Personally, whenever a meetup has been announced in Birmingham or Manchester, I've been put off going because I find those two cities to be very dull when it comes to tourism value, and with people making international journies I think we should make it either Edinburgh, York, St. Davids or (eh) London. These are all places with good tourism value that I have really enjoyed visiting.

Don't worry about the Ciddies part of this until it's actually happening. Try not to plan small details as the big details will swing things a lot. I mean, I'm going to assume that I'll probably want to have Award Guy host the Ciddies for such an event as this, but having to coincidentally walk out of the room every time he appears is going to be a bitch. Seriously though I imagine I'll plan such a thing out after the Ciddies before it, when I know who is going, where it is, etc. There's no rush on that end (although I will point out it will be far easier to host the Ciddies in my home city).

When it comes to hiring venues, I'd suggest we don't plan this side of things for the same reasons as the above. In fact, even more so. I agree with whoever it was that mentioned "just gathering in someone's back yard and hiring takeaway" because hiring a venue will cost an arm and a leg. Putting it into perspective, the hiring of the Scotsman cost me something like £4,800 and that's not including all the extras we spent on other things (the wedding was in excess of £10,000). I know you can get cheaper places - considerably cheaper, of course - but I think the best and easiest way to do this would be to make it far more informal.

Speaking of money, I doubt I'll be able to donate any significant amount. I've spent so much money on EoFF and the wedding and the honeymoon... Danielle won't tolerate me spending much more than I do on the site as it is. We want to do a lot of things in our lives together, particularly over the next few years when we can finally start spending money on ourselves, that I couldn't commit any kind of investment. However, I'm sure come the time of the actual event I will have some extra money put aside for meals and drinks above and beyond that which I personally will be consuming. 'tis in my nature, as many of you know.

If Drift isn't going, I don't think I can make it. After meeting him, I have pretty much placed Drift as one of the most amazing people you could ever have at a meetup. The guy is freaking awesome and acts like a host even in places where he is not a host.

Definitely try to get some massive apartment with multiple rooms like we did in Edinburgh. That place was a home away from home, and it was so much fun being there.

Overall I think this is a fantastic idea and I hope it works out really well. Again, don't plan too much as you might end up getting really disappointed with how things turn out. People will cancel, new people will want to take their places, the numbers won't add up somehow, the flight costs and accommodation costs will change, life circumstances will force people to reconsider what can happen... all we need to do at this point is ensure that people have a fair idea of where they are going (UK is good enough at the moment) and that those at a far distance can start saving.

I moved this thread into General Chat because it's a pretty big thing.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I mean, depending on the number of people planning on going, it may just be easier to rent a few shared accomodations and party hard for 3 days straight. We say renting a hotel but that could be an unnecessary extravagance (again depending on the numbers), but it could end up just being a function suite for a night (which can be slightly more reasonably priced, depending on where it is (which is why I would avoid London because lolexpense)). EK might just be a dive, but my Mum booked a function suite for something in the region of £100-200 for a night for my 21st and it holds a ridiculous number of people (up to 70 or something).

But yeah, this is all stuff that can wait like a year to get dealt with. No harm in keeping it in mind though. :3

Basically to even get a grasp on what kind of things we'll need to do we just need an idea of where, when and how many people we are looking in the region of. But I suppose that is what this thread is all about. xD

FFXIV Character

Raine Zenyphael (Sargatanas)

Hah! HAH! I think secretly i've been waiting for this. If its gonna be in europe and nothing unexpected comes in between, i'll be there! I want to see the wedding crew again and of course also many other eoffers! I would love to see a lot of people from FFXIV too, though they probably dont participate as much on the forum (like me)..as this was a bit of a problem at the ciddies last time, I just want to make sure if we FFXIV-players are also invited..?
    ~ Have no fear, dungeon hero X is here! Kupo! ~

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Of course! Not all of us post a lot at EoFF, but those that don't are still EoFFers.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    I mean, depending on the number of people planning on going, it may just be easier to rent a few shared accomodations and party hard for 3 days straight. We say renting a hotel but that could be an unnecessary extravagance (again depending on the numbers), but it could end up just being a function suite for a night (which can be slightly more reasonably priced, depending on where it is (which is why I would avoid London because lolexpense)). EK might just be a dive, but my Mum booked a function suite for something in the region of £100-200 for a night for my 21st and it holds a ridiculous number of people (up to 70 or something).

But yeah, this is all stuff that can wait like a year to get dealt with. No harm in keeping it in mind though. :3

Basically to even get a grasp on what kind of things we'll need to do we just need an idea of where, when and how many people we are looking in the region of. But I suppose that is what this thread is all about. xD
    I'm totally in favour of this happening in East Kilbride with Shauna's Mum as host.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

"Hey Mum, a bunch of my internet friends were wondering if you could book a function suite for us to hang out for a night in..."

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Edinburgh, York, St. Davids or (eh) London
    All of those seem boring to me to be honest. Count me out. I'll be there in spirit.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

What in the UK would sound interesting to you if they all strike you as boring? O_o

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I worry about London being more expensive. Would be okay with Edinburgh. And of course the XIVers can come!

The flats that were rented for the wedding crew were completely ideal, and it is totally possible that we could rent out an entire building. That would be so badass.

I am so happy to see more people saying they can come, and they might be able to donate! If you cannot, please don't feel bad. Daniel, I am sure that we would all want you to continue keeping this site afloat, so don't worry. I am sure we will be able to find the money. Venues can be pricey, but I am confident we can find something reasonably priced.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

For what it's worth, that shared flat would have been even cheaper per-person if people were all staying the same length of time. You can get extremely good value out of those places so long as you time it right (the right timing being outside of any peak tourism moments such as major sporting events, festivals, etc).

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Seems that people are angling for Edinburgh, UK (or at least are okay with it). Other nominations or objections? :3