Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dragon's Revival: CK2 GoT House Targaryen in Robert's Rebellion (It's Over)

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default The Dragon's Revival: CK2 GoT House Targaryen in Robert's Rebellion (It's Over)

Hello friends I am beginning a CK2 Let's Play, as House Targaryen, but rather than taking either Aegon the Conquerer or Khaleesi Dany, I'm going to play the Robert's Rebellion scenario. If you play as Rhaegar, this is somewhat doable, because he's got Aegon-tier stats. Aerys The Mad is... somewhat less gifted. So that's who I'm starting as!

Note that this will be a Narrative LP more than Gameplay, but anyone who wants mechanics explained only has to ask, and I shall make a great hash of explaining and lead you astray!

-------
    Chapter Links:

Chapter 1: A Thousand Foes Beset Me
    Chapter 2: Dwindling Flame
    Chapter 3: The Brief Wondrous Reign of Rhaegar Targaryen
    Chapter 4: No Place For A Boy
    Chapter 5: Ambitions and Marriages and Tourneys, Oh My!
    Chapter 6: The Heir to House Targaryen
    Chapter 7: Cut Down In His Prime
    Chapter 8: The Next Generation
    Chapter 9: Brown of Hair
    Chapter 10: Six Weeks
    Chapter 11: Outmaneuvered
    Chapter 12: Shattered Kingdom

Interlude: The Great Houses of Westeros

Chapter 13: Lord Boremund's War
    Chapter 14: The Dragon Ascendant
    Chapter 15: Targaryens, Rulers of the Vale
    Chapter 16: Matters of Some Consequence
    Chapter 17: Retaking The Reach
    Chapter 18: Catching Our Breath
    Chapter 19: Taming the Wild Men
    Chapter 20: Fighting a Land War in The North in Winter
    Chapter 21: Heartbreak
    Chapter 22: An Ending to Things
    Chapter 23: An Inauspicious Ascendancy
    Chapter 24: The Iron Islands
    Chapter 25: The Death of a King
    Chapter 26: The King in the West
    Chapter 27: Kingslayer

Epilogue

-------

~The Targaryens from Aerys II Onwards~
    262 - 284 ~ King Aerys II
    284 - 285 ~ Rhaegar
    285 - 297 ~ Regency of Septon Jarmen for Aegon
    285 - 307 ~ Aegon
    307 - 321 ~ Regency of Daenerys for Rhaella
    307 - 346 ~ Rhaella
    346 - 355 ~ Queen Rhaella I
    355 - 364 ~ King Aelix I
    364 - Not Long ~ King Baelor II

-------
    Chapter 1: A Thousand Foes Beset Me

FAITHLESS TREASON
    A THOUSAND FOES BESET ME

1.1.jpg

My son, my dear son, my Rhaegar. Among all those in the realm, he alone can I trust implicitly. The Starks charged into my keep, MY castle, MY CITY!! seeking to kill my son and I! Did they not know the honor the Targaryens bestowed upon Lyanna Stark by taking her to be a wife?

I am King Aerys Targaryen, the Second of His Name.
    (Traits: Flamboyant Schemer; Knight; Fire Obsessed; Tyrant; Wroth; Stubborn; Paranoid; Cruel; Insane)

1.3.jpg

I will not be denied! Now Robert Baratheon has risen against me, against the Iron Throne, against THE DRAGON! The traitor must be burned! He is joined by Eddard Stark, Hoster Tully, and Jon Arryn. Stormlands, The North, The Riverlands, and Mountain And Vale, all risen against me! This will not stand!

1.2.jpg

I send ravens to every lord still loyal.

I send my Hand and my Master of Coin to work, gathering the wealth of King’s Landing. The people must pay for the war. Then I make some rearrangements to the Small Council. I trust none of them, not a one, except my son Rhaegar who serves as Master at Arms and is commander of my forces in the field. And I name Thoros of Myr my Master of Laws. He speaks of fire in most… intriguing terms. Perhaps he might have insights worth hearing.

1.5.jpg

Then I see the Alchemists. They understand. I do not trust them, but they do understand. Fire is clean, and pure, and will burn away all the sins and treasons of this world. It will cost them much to make Wildfire, but I pay gladly.

1.6.jpg

Lord Jon Connington sends word that the Baratheon traitors have massed 16,000 soldiers and they march for King’s Landing. It is more than we have, but they are not led by Dragons. Or aided by the lands of the Reach.

1.7.jpg

There’s something that can’t wait any longer though. A de- This damned chair will not cease it’s torment of me! Another scratch. A decision must be made. A decision about one of my own Kingsguard. I hear whispers that Barristan Selmy will be more loyal to his house than his King. I do not believe it. These are tricks told by my enemies! Selmy rescued me once before, he will serve now. (This, hilariously, gives Aerys the trait “Just”) The people see the justice and wisdom of this and celebrate it! No, they know the slanders of Baratheon and Stark are only lies, and that their King is wise and just.

I hear news the Stormlander army has reached my personal demesne. IT WILL NOT STAND! My ancestor Aegon the Conquerer was the one who made this house, the one who gave them their name and realms and power! Now I must destroy them the same. I suppose it is fitting in its way.

1.8.jpg

Good and bad news arrives a few days later. Some of my men coming from Massey’s Hook run into the Baratheon force. My loyal men, my soldiers. I almost ride out then and there, but an Alchemist arrives just before I send for my horse. He reports that they have had success making Wildfire, and the stocks are now enough to turn the tide of a battle. It is glorious! For the first time in weeks I laugh, for I know the justice of the Dragon will stand strong.

1.9.jpg

The Bartheon army is almost upon us! I review our own forces. Then I appoint the men who will lead them into battle when the enemy arrives. But… where is Rhaegar? He was to lead the center! He was to be my sword in the field! I cannot find him! I CANNOT FIND HIM! They say only he is not at court! Where has he gone? WHO HAS TAKEN HIM?

1.10.jpg

I run to search every room of the Red Keep. As I do so, I see Ser Gerold Hightower, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, organize the men. He seems to be gesturing to Arthur Deyne. Thoros is there as well. As I go from room to room I hear trumpets and think absently battle is joined, but it is a thousand men from the north come to support their King. As I search, I come across Lord Osmund of Dyre Den conspiring with a page or whore, or possibly both. I hear him say the Iron Throne has too much power and it must be reduced! HE IS ANOTHER TRAITOR!

1.11.jpg
    1.12.jpg

I summon the guards on the spot and they throw him into prison. I will deal with him soon. For now, I must find my son. (Aaaand Aerys loses “Just”. Membership in faction is in itself not grounds for punishment; only plots.) I know any hopes of HIS plans coming to pass are destroyed with his arrest!

1.13.jpg

The Throne Room is a bleak and dark place without my son. I searched for days, I sought him throughout the city, and found nothing. None of my guards or men can shed light on it. I sit in the dull room and weep, weep for my lost son. Oh Rhaegar, what fate has befallen you? What traitor has slipped a knife into your back? Then I hear the sounds of war and it rouses me. Rhaegar may be gone, but I am not! I am A TARGARYEN! WE SHALL PREVAIL!

1.14.jpg

The war…

We are undone! We are defeated! But there is still hope, there are still loyal men in the field, there is still a long siege, there is still the fire. Some of my advisers recommend sending my family away, or even going with them. I will not! There is nowhere in Westeros safer for them than the Red Keep and I shall lead the defense myself.

1.15.jpg

You see? I was right to stand firm. A raven has just arrived from far to the north, where Lord Maldrec Crowl of Deepdown has proclaimed his loyalty to me. He begs forgiveness and states he was not even told by Eddard Stark of the reasons for his men being summoned. It is precisely the sort of lie I know the Starks would tell, they have no honor!

1.16.jpg
    1.17.jpg

Bahaha! Yes! All is well once again. The siege is lifted! I hear from ravens that a great host of Tyrell soldiers is approaching from the Reach! The Baratheons flee in fear. And not a day later, another Raven arrives from Castle Cerwyn. Even one of Stark’s closest has turned against him! Now the dominoes are beginning to fall.

1.18.jpg

NO! All is lost! The faithless traitor Walder Frey has sided against me, joining the Stark and Tully armies! I vomit in rage. I will see every last one of his misbegotten bastard children burned before his eyes! ARRRRGHH! As I rage, another message, even worse!

1.19.jpg

Sweet, loyal Jon Connington has been struck down in battle! The bastard Baratheon did it himself, though he must have used some trick or had help, for few men could match Connington! His cousin Ronald Connington sends word that he shall take up his fight.

1.4.jpg

My son Viserys is becoming known for spending time in the kitchens. (And he apparently ate the screenshot of the event in question, so have this little message instead.) It will not do to get fat! I strike him with the birch until he sobs and says he will no longer indulge so. Also, I notice that Rhaegar is here, so I command him to ride out and take charge of our remaining armies. (I have no idea where Rhaegar went or why he came back, but he was just "Away from Court" for a couple of weeks there!)

1.20.jpg

Suddenly, a great army of Tullys descends on King’s Landing! They take my army by surprise, but I am not concerned. Over 25,000 loyal men fight a short ways to the south, and once the Baratheon army is crushed by them, they will turn and destroy the Tullies in turn!

1.21.jpg

SLAUGHTERED! The traitor armies of Baratheon and Tully are both shattered! It is a glorious day. I issue orders to call up more men.

1.23.jpg

And now the time has come to decide on young Viserys’ path. He is much like his father, fierce and burning with passion, so I decide upon a courtly education for him. No expense is spared.

1.24.jpg

Shockingly, a courtier advises me that the vaults are empty and we are deeply in debt. This is not possible!

1.25.jpg

I hear news that from the North come the armies of the Arryns and Starks, accompanied by their Frey running dogs. No matter, they shall be smashed as their comrades in treason were. I suddenly feel rather tired, so I shall retire for the night.
    Last edited by Madame Adequate; 07-02-2014 at 04:02 AM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

That's what you get for trusting Walder Frey, Aerys!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

That's not late so much as treacherous.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

That's some wicked pissah facial hair, Aerys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm pleased to present to you Chapter 2!

------
    Chapter 2: Dwindling Flame

I greet the day with vigor, but my mood is soon soured by one of those damnable points on this chair. Why oh why did Aegon see fit to make it so uncomfortable to sit on? I’m holding the realm together and I cannot even find a comfortable seat.

2.1.jpg

I suddenly remember the traitorous Osmund and call him for trial. I couldn’t decide whether to try him or execute him on the spot. A trial shows the Realm’s justice, but executing on the spot shows the King’s perfect wisdom. I had Commander Gerold flip a coin for me. Apparently people have taken to calling him The White Bull, no doubt for his feats in battle on the fields by King’s Landing.

2.2.jpg
    2.3.jpg

Osmund is completely unable to muster any defense, of course, because he is guilty. I sentence him to death by burning. The fire cleanses him and burns away his treason.

2.4.jpg

Argh! The Riverlands and North have spent the time I was beating back Baratheon gathering their own forces in huge numbers! Even the armies of the Reach are undone. I send my new armies to help them. If Dorne does not send their soldiers soon… Dorne. Can we ever really trust the Dornish? Of course we cannot. I half-expect them to march on King’s Landing themselves.

No, the Dornish proclaim themselves ‘busy’ in the Stormlands, and report another huge Baratheon army there. I doubt that! If he could replenish his men so quickly so could I. No, it is clean that Prince Doran is working for the enemy. With the Reach and Crownlands depleted and Tywin Lannister still mustering his men, it is clear I must turn somewhere else for my armies.

I instruct my Master of Coin to take a loan from the Iron Bank. They should be honored to support the Iron Throne. I will deal with the moneylenders some other time, when the rebels have been defeated. I will not turn my gaze back from the Narrow Sea though. No, I have a plan. The Blackfyre Bastards have plagued House Targaryen for generations now. What could be less expected than to use them to defend the true bloodline? I send a delegation to hire the Golden Company. Perhaps I will have the chance to set some things straight with them too. Thoros of Myr volunteers to go.

2.5.jpg

Before I hear back, my steward brings me a small bit of good news. The people of King’s Landing are so desperate to see their King triumph that they have volunteered considerable money to aid the cause. I ensure their names are taken - they should have volunteered this on the first day of the war. In time they will be punished for their intransigence.

2.6.jpg

Now that I have the needed money, I establish a household guard to augment the King’s Guard and Goldcloaks. I won’t be undone here in my own city, I can tell you this much! The sergeants are to drill the men.

2.7.jpg

No…

NO!

TREASON! THE HIGHEST OF TREASONS!

The man I was awaiting to bring armies to my side, Tywin Lannister, has turned against me! He has declared himself for the rebels! But… but wait. No, this must be a ruse on his part. A very clever ruse. Yes, he will infiltrate them and destroy them from within. Ha! A clever man, and cunning. He knows that for the ruse to succeed even I must seem enraged by it. Yes, I will play the part.

2.8.jpg

I order Jaime Lannister brought before me to be executed. That will convince the world that Tywin and I are mortal enemies! It is a sad sacrifice, for the boy has some skill with a blade, but Tywin will understand.

2.9.jpg

Of course, with him gone I must find another knight for the Kingsguard. I decide upon Ser Triston of Langward Hall. He seems an alright sort.

2.10.jpg

As I mustered my new recruits, the Arryn army descends upon King’s Landing. We face another siege! This will end no better for them than the last one, and very probably worse.

2.11.jpg
    2.12.jpg

Some of my Small Council come to me, speaking of the danger King’s Landing is in. I will not flee. This is my city, and I will defend it with mine own hand if I must! I order my household guards to begin destroying everything of value in the city. If they are to take it, they will find nothing here but ashes.

It works even better than I had expected! The armies outside find nothing to feast on except the carrion of rats and crows, and they move away with empty bellies. Soon they are back though, and half the realm is being devoured by the traitor armies! I await Tywin Lannister’s revelation, because only that can save me now.

2.13.jpg

BETRAYAL! I just got word that the Golden Company has turned its back on us! Upon the true Dragons! I should not be surprised and yet I believed they would rally to the side of the Dragon against a far greater enemy! I order the beginnings of a plot against the traitor captain of these brigands. Nobody shall defy ME and go unpunished!

2.14.jpg

Wait… the armies outside the walls are Lannisters. But they are beginning a siege! No! HE WAS REALLY AGAINST ME THE WHOLE TIME! I swear that Tywin Lannister shall meet the same fate as his son! (That is a total of over 80,000 soldiers against me. Even with dragons I wouldn't fancy my chances.)

2.15.jpg

Hahahaha! Some small piece of justice in this world. The captain who defied my has died by the poison of a viper. Perhaps this dark and subtle solution will serve where armies have failed me. Perhaps indeed… I order the same policy to be commenced with Tywin Lannister.

2.16.jpg

Oh, but now something glorious has occurred. A Braavosi from across the Narrow Sea has come before me upon the Throne and seeks only an amount of gold in exchange for his skills. I know the reputation of these men. I order the very paint from the palace walls to be stripped and presented to him.

2.17.jpg
    2.18.jpg

Within hours I hear word that Tywin Lannister lies dead! Oh but a shame he could not be taken by fire.

2.19.jpg
    2.20.jpg

I begin preparations for the execution of Robert Baratheon. As I do so, I am brought word that a vassal of mine has begun a faction, one intended to DEPOSE me! DEPOSE ME! I AM AERYS TARGARYEN, I WILL NOT BE DEPOSED! NOT BY ANYONE! I order him burned before me.

2.22.jpg

And just days later, another Lord is discovered with the same ambition. Lord Bayle of Rollingford will meet the same fate!

Ah, here is my son coming to me, my dear Rhaegar. He does have quite a serious look though, no doubt yet more bad news is at hand.
    Last edited by Madame Adequate; 05-23-2014 at 12:41 AM.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Burn the traitors!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ahahahahahahaha RIP everyone

ded Jaime

ded Tywin

ded Lannisters

Articles

I don't want to set Westeros on fire. I just want to start a flame in the Lannister's hearts.

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cersei and Tyrion are still alive, as are Kevan and a couple of similar characters. There are still Lannisters to destroy.

However, there may - I stress, may - be bigger fish to fry at this time.

Articles

Is that a Tully pun?

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ahahaha it genuinely was not intended that way xD

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This chapter heralds the dawn of a world Paul Chotic will believe to be the best of all possible worlds.

------
    Chapter 3: The Brief Wondrous Reign of Rhaegar Targaryen

3.1.jpg

However justified Stannis Baratheon may feel in imprisoning me, the conditions of this cell are exceedingly poor. Should I get the chance I shall petition him to move me into quarters more befitting of my rank. Even if that rank is currently nominal.

I am Rhaegar Targaryen, and had I ascended to the Iron Throne I would have been King Rhaegar I. My father put paid to that, it seems, quiet conclusively. Aerys II is my father and I honor him, but he has led this realm and our house to ruin. When I climbed the steps to the Iron Throne he recognized me, and it broke my heart to betray him. I don’t know if he has quite realized what I have done, but he is deposed now. His madness towards the end was quite shocking.

3.2.jpg

He did not even seem aware that his foe Robert Baratheon had been slain by Lord Paramount Mace Tyrell nine months ago. (I had completely missed this happening, but fortunately Aerys II is insane enough that I can make it work!)

His brother, Stannis, continued the fight. Our armies were shattered and our allies depleted. My father spoke only of burning the whole realm to ashes, taking wild swings between ludicrous optimism and hopeless despair. I do not doubt he would have destroyed the whole city with wildfire before surrendering. I would have been tempted to do the same. But the realm is more important than our victory, even our house.

3.3.jpg

So now I am stripped of all titles except the Lordship of Sharp Point, a title which passed into my demesne barely noticed. I was far too busy fighting the war to dole it out to a vassal or elevate someone to it, and in truth I had forgotten all about it until I surrendered to Stannis Baratheon and his demands did not include it. He is not a man to leave out such details. I do not know what to make of His Grace in permitting me to keep it.

3.4.jpg

I imagine numberless scenarios of King Stannis’ wrath. By all accounts he is punctilious to a fault, and I do not expect he will be inclined to show mercy to my family. To my knowledge my children, Aegon and Raenys, and my brother Viserys, remain free and safe with my mother, far to the east in Mantarys. I smuggled them out shortly before moving against my father.

3.5.jpg

I believe there is only one means through which I might secure my freedom. A trial. If Stannis does not have me killed or exiled first, I must either await a trial at court or demand a trial by combat. I am a highly proficient warrior, but I am by no means the best in the realms. Given his newfound position on the Iron Throne I expect Stannis could summon the best in the realms, including from his Kingsguard, if they side with him. Considering my father’s cruel killing of Jaime Lannister, I have little reason to doubt they would.

3.6.jpg

I elect to wait. To my surprise, within a few days a new war begins. Apparently Prince Doran of Dorne has refused to bend the knee to King Stannis, and Stannis has immediately taken up arms to demand their loyalty. His boldness is beyond doubt.

3.7.jpg
    3.8.jpg

Shocking news comes to me a few days later. Doran has reconsidered, convinced that he could not hope to win. To defy the Dragon for over a century, but capitulate to the Stag after a week. How the Dornish have fallen. Westeros is again united, at least up to the Wall. I wonder what fate awaits me now that Stannis can turn his attention to rule.

3.9.jpg

With the war lost, I am forced to ‘free’ Lady Lyanna Stark. She is beautiful beyond words, and my heart aches to let her slip away, but what choice have I got? I inform Stannis’ men of her location and she is soon set free.

3.10.jpg

Stannis is formally crowned in a ceremony in King’s Landing. From my cell in Storm’s End I learn little of it but I hear it was a grand affair but one he was evidently impatient to be done with. He was prudent to imprison me here, far from whoever may remain loyal to my family. I will one day be free however, and I will restore the Targaryens to the Iron Throne. If not I, then a descendant.

3.17.jpg

Having said that, I am moved to King’s Landing. On the way I heard the most bizarre of rumors, and one I cannot accredit. The rumor goes that Lord Eddard Stark, brother of Lyanna, usurper along with Robert Bartheon, has founded a faction to usurp the Iron Throne. Specifically to expel Stannis Baratheon and install… me. (Seriously wtf are you thinking Ned)

3.11.jpg

I do not have long to consider this possibility, however absurd it might be. King Stannis himself comes to see me and informs me that I am to stand trial. He offers me the choice between trial by combat and trial at court. I decide upon the latter.

3.12.jpg

To my surprise, Prince Doran opposes me. Stannis has presumably demanded it in exchange for letting him keep his Lord Paramountcy. In any event, I muster all my wits and wisdom and I believe I make a compelling case. Yes, my father committed crimes, some of them very grave, but I am not my father. My acts in the war were in deference to my pledges of loyalty to house and liege. I urged him to make amends and to find peace. And when the war was lost, instead of letting King’s Landing burn and thousands die, I overthrew him. I did not even sit upon the Iron Throne before issuing my surrender. If I ever grace that seat, it will not be for a few minutes while I await some pretender who deigns to treat with me. I feel its absence and it fuels my determination to undo all these injustices.

3.13.jpg

Doran is at least my equal and makes a striking argument against me. He maintains that my initial taking - kidnap, he insists - of Lyanna Stark was the cause of the whole war and that every subsequent atrocity must rest on my shoulders. I will never admit this out loud but he is right. The burden weighs heavily upon me.

3.14.jpg
    3.15.jpg

I am proclaimed guilty. To my visible shock, King Stannis displays mercy upon me - he exiles me to the Wall, to live out my days as a Black Brother of the Night’s Watch. When I travel north and take the vows, I will forsake all claims to my lands and my realms. It will fall to my children to restore our family. But I will, at least, be alive to guide and advise them, however distantly and remotely. I have my life. It is a gift I had not understood the weight of until Stannis pointed at me and I awaited his sentence.

3.16.jpg

So ends the reign of Rhaegar Targaryen, Lord of Sharp Point. I was King of the Seven Kingdoms for perhaps three hours; Lord of Sharp Point for four months and a few days. It falls now to my son, dear Aegon, to lead us. He is four years old. It would have been a tremendous burden for me. It agonizes me beyond words to see it on his shoulders. I have no opportunity to await his return from Mantarys before I must go north, so I leave a letter for him.
    Last edited by Madame Adequate; 05-23-2014 at 12:43 AM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ahahaha Ned Stark what the hell

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Ned Stark has a history (future?) of making good decisions.

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Time for another chapter! Not the most exciting one as it primarily concerns Aegon growing up, but such is life in Westeros.

------
    No Place For A Boy

The boy has little notion of his situation, or of the precarious place his family now finds itself in. He has accepted the absence of his father with some maturity, though does not seem to entirely comprehend that he will never return from the Wall except, perhaps, on certain very rare missions.

4.1.jpg

Now that he and his family have returned from Mantarys, young Aegon can begin to take up the mantle of his heritage. I am Septon Jarmen and for the time being, I have been appointed Regent. It is not a position I particularly sought, but it was felt that given the… delicacy of our relationship with Stannis, someone other than a Targaryen should serve as regent for the time being.

4.2.jpg

A Maester arrived from the Citadel today, one Garse. He seems learned enough, if a bit short-tempered. I do worry about his lack of faith though, both for his sake and that of our young charge.

4.4.jpg
    4.3.jpg

Two pieces of news reach us, one unexpected but not all that surprising, the other deeply shocking. The first concerns His Grace King Rhaegar, who is now a member of the Night’s Watch. Apparently his skills were very obvious and within a few short months he has become right-hand to the Commander of Eastwatch-by-the-Sea, one of the Watch’s three extant fortresses. The second piece of news is that the usurper Stannis Baratheon has sent us a ransom offer. He proposes a very modest sum of money in exchange for the freedom of King Aerys II. We accept after little deliberation. His Grace may have gone mad, but he is a Targaryen nonetheless.

4.5.jpg

A most delicate matter has come before us. Stannis Baratheon proposes that he be wedded to Lady Lyanna Stark. Following her so-called rescue from Rhaegar, she promptly demonstrated that she was with him through choice. She even remained with the family since its fall, and has been serving as a diplomat for us. But a war was fought over this woman, and we cannot risk the wrath of Stannis. We agree, with great regret, to his proposal.

4.6.jpg

News from the Citadel. Winter is, as the Starks are so fond of saying, coming. One small blessing of the Targaryen fall is that our modest lands are reasonably far south and unlikely to be sorely affected, unless the winter is especially brutal. Stannis Baratheon will learn how much he likes ruling now!

4.7.jpg
    4.8.jpg

The time is at hand to decide upon young Aegon’s education. There are many options and all have their strengths. But a Targaryen rules through power and glory, conquers through skill and force of arms. We decide that he shall learn the warrior’s trade. And we take a desperate and strange gamble.

4.10.jpg

We send the child north to the Night’s Watch, not to join it himself but to be tutored there by his father. I do not know whether this is an entirely precedented arrangement, but whatever arguments Rhaegar makes to the Lord Commander appear to succeed. In his absence we must rule the realm as best we are able. Hopefully his father’s brilliance will be conveyed to his son. Certainly the brutal conditions at the Wall will harden the young man. It is a desperately cruel thing that we do, but he must endure it.

4.11.jpg

Apparently the boy is no impediment to Rhaegar. He has been recalled to Castle Black where, Aegon in tow, he has been appointed to Master at Arms for the Lord Commander. A prestigious post in any place, the dangers the Watch face makes it even more important at the Wall.

4.12.jpg

No news of consequences arrives for a very long time, but eventually some reaches us. We are informed that the Lordship of Sharp Point and, hence, Lord Aegon, are to be vassals of Lord of Massey’s Hook, currently Lord Maric Massey. Whilst it is in principle an insult to degrade our status in this manner, in reality it is to our advantage to be separated from Stannis in this manner. His rights towards us, and our obligations towards him, are rather diminished by this step.

A raven arrives from the Citadel bearing the good news that winter is coming to an end. It is a dreadful shame that Stannis was not tested by it, but it is a great thing that it has passed us by doing so little harm.

Mere days after this another raven arrives, this one bearing terrible news. Lady Elia Martell, who had become Lady of Plankytown in Dorne in the aftermath of Robert’s Rebellion, has passed away. She was never possessed of good health and died at the age of merely 31. I pen a letter to Rhaegar and another to Aegon. It does mean that the young boy has inherited Plankytown, however, and that may prove to be a considerable boon. (And my screenshot has vanished!)

4.13.jpg

Well, this is certainly an unfortunate and most awkward happenstance. Apparently Aerys has got wind of the acquisition of Plankytown and, having his wits about him enough to realize his fall from grace, he is demanding that title be awarded to him. He threatens us with transformation into a Dragon should we refuse. Under no circumstances could he be given land again, it would be the end of the house. It is dreadful to hurt him so, but we threaten him frankly with being sent to the Wall should be mention it again.

4.14.jpg

The issue of Aerys has apparently been put to rest. He has died under circumstances that can only be described as “suspicious”, but with no witnesses and a list of motivated suspects longer than the Wall, I doubt that this crime will be solved. I write to Rhaegar and Aegon about the passing of their father, though I leave the more sordid details out of the lad’s letter.

4.15.jpg

Worse, a few weeks later Aerys’ sister-wife Rhaella passes away. Despite the man’s sins she evidently loved him dearly and could not bring herself to go on without him. It is a tremendous blow to the family, and leaves only Rhaegar and Viserys as adult Targaryens.

4.16.jpg

Disaster! It has been a quiet couple of years when suddenly, the news comes to me that Viserys was killed in single combat. I don’t know his foe’s name but by all accounts Viserys was the instigator, insisting the other man address him as King Viserys. The others laughed at him, sending Viserys into a rage that resulted in a fight, and his death. House Targaryen continues to deplete, and it seems it may be difficult to restore it. Still, the news from the Wall is good, and soon Aegon will come of age.

4.17.jpg

The day is at hand! For twelve long years we have overseen what small patches of territory remain to House Targaryen, whilst the young scion trains in the brutal conditions of Castle Black. Today he returns to us; a strong and handsome young man. He has a talent with words and skill with the sword, but clearly Castle Black did not accord him much time for more scholarly pursuits. His economic and philosophical knowledge is wanting and, worse luck, he totally lacks guile in the realm of intrigue. His shaping is far from finished, but he is a Targaryen! He will prevail!

4.18.jpg

(Traits: Dutiful Commander, Trained Fighter, Proud, Kind, Gregarious, Zealous, Honest.)
    Last edited by Madame Adequate; 05-23-2014 at 12:44 AM.