Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RPG that had the biggest impact on you.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

In the game you take on the role of a fantasy character in a fantasy setting, so if that counts, King's Quest VI.

If it was the first one a console, then Zelda:LttP or Earthbound.

If it was the first one to really show me how deep, and involving the story of a game could get, how impactful the music could be, and made me really feel the struggle of the characters, Xenogears.

I think all those games had a strong influence on my taste in games.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Wild Arms and Suikoden for getting me into RPGs to begin with. I was just a kid when I played these and for some reason I loved them more than anything. :3

Grandia II for really cementing that I would forever be some RPG nerd.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception was the first RPG I ever played but it was Secret of Mana that finally got me into the genre. FFVI changed my view of gaming, Wild ARMS and Breath of Fire 3 serve as the template for what I think good RPG gameplay should look like. Xenogears, FFTactics, and Suikoden changed how I feel story telling should be done for the genre, and Persona 3 and Xenoblade taught me the value of excellent gameplay unity of design.

I still consider Chrono Trigger to be nearly perfect.

I was severely late to playing Suikoden 2 as you all know, and I can say that it has aged amazingly well, and while I take some issues with the righting here and there, it definitely had a solid narrative and handled it very well and in a very unique way for its time, and even now.

Any game looking for a massive cast of playable characters needs to first look at Suikoden 2 for seriously showing up Chrono Cross in that regard.

But CC looks and sounds way better.

Or so I hear.

For all the praise Suikoden 2 gets, never hear anything about its music.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    But CC looks and sounds way better.

Or so I hear.

For all the praise Suikoden 2 gets, never hear anything about its music.
    CC's cast largely feel like gimmicky filler, Suikoden does a better job of making at least half of the cast feel relevant. The music for the series is actually pretty awesome.

Chrono Cross is heavy on philosophy and trying to logically define the consequences of time travel, Suikoden is largely about political intrigue, debates about the value of immortality, and watching history slowly unfold through regional conflict.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> FF1, became obsessed with it and I guess it kind of ruined my life at some point too..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Suikoden as a whole has some really gorgeous tracks. Definitely up these as one of my favourite soundtracks for a game.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    I take some issues with the righting here and there
    Speaking of taking issue with writing...
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    If FFVII never happened then this site would not have existed, therefore I would not have the same friends, I may not have travelled to places like Germany and America, I would possibly not live in this country and I would almost certainly not have met let alone married Danielle.
    With this knowledge in hand, I can easily pick FFVII, but only for the reason of this site, I don't think any game had an effect on me to such an extent I would choose it though, I enjoy games, but that's all they are to me.

Dungeons and Dragons

I could totally say this is the great grandfather of all your RPGs. But that's not why I mention it. My brothers were actually huge D&D nerds in their high school / young adult years. And they are about 14 years older than me. When I was 6, they started to jank me into their campaigns. I certainly didn't understand the rules. But I didn't have to. They held my hand, and all I had to do was say what I wanted, and if it was within the realm of possibility, they'd tell me what to roll and see if it happened

Of course Dragon Quest came along, and Final Fantasy 1, and like someone else I chose the path of the Genesis and was graced with Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force, and Shining Force 2. Could not afford Phantasy Star. And eventually got a hand-me-down SNES, and Final Fantasy 4 and 6 which were amazing. And all of these were very impactful

But D&D set my imagination on fire. Watching an imaginative movie, or reading an imaginative story were one thing. Creating your own story, forging your own path, were unparallelled at the time. Set me on the path to dabble in art and writing, got me reading large books like nothing else could, and of course spurred my passion into the video game counter-parts. But I still enjoy my imagination, and how it was allowed to flow in good old Dungeons and Dragons. And now I miss the writing I used to do

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Valkyrie Profile is another one that had a big impact, but is different from FF1..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..