Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo Nintendo Entertainment System

Lately I've been playing The Legend of Zelda. The first one. I truly love this game - there are later Zelda games I love too, but something about the first is so delightfully charming and engrossing. And there's that glorious music, of course!

What are some of your favorite NES titles? Do you still play them on occasion?

Legend of the Ghost Lion was a fun one virtually no one had played. So was Ghengis Khan.

Don't really play them these days though.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

There are too many great NES games to list, but I'll try anyway.

Super Mario series
    Final Fantasy
    Legend of Zelda
    Metroid
    Capcom Disney games
    TMNT
    Contra

Sometimes I'll play them.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I probably go back to my NES about once a week at least. Super C, any of the Mario games, Ninja Gaiden, and Gradius are my go to games right now. I just beat the first Zelda for the first time late last year actually. It's pretty great. I also have stuff on the Wii/U virtual console, but I just like playing on the actual NES.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If I still have my NES, I would probably play it from time to time. My favorite game would be Disney's Chip n' Dale: Rescue Rangers. I love that game to bits.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

NES is before my generation, so I pretty much only play the remakes and I'm not entirely sure which ones originated on the NES

*ducks*

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I'll still Mega Man 2 fairly regularly. I also adore and play the first three Mario games. Oh, and Kirby's Adventure is always fun to 100%!

For more traditional stuff, a guilty pleasure game of mine is Terminator 2. I have a video format Let's Play of it (that you can find in the bottom thread in the Let's Play forum). I kind of trash talk the game in the Let's Play, but at the end of the day I find it quite enjoyable.

R.C. Pro-AM is a very early Rare game that I got on the same Christmas they decided to get me a NES. It's a simple game that never really ends where the computer totally, blatantly cheats, but it's fun.

Oh, and the first Dragon Warrior! Very ancient and primitive by today's standards, but I enjoyed the hell out of that game. Especially the time my cousin and I went through it (mainly him since he knew what he was doing) and stayed up till some crazy hour while were still in single digit ages. This also was the very few time I noticed how catchy video game music can be, as my dad often hummed some of the music in this game.

AND WHO THE F*** CAN FORGET RAD RACER?!?!?!?!?

Articles

Eh, the NES is not for me. I have played Zelda 1 and 2 recently and also the original metriod, and those games are the weakest in the series IMO.

I never had a NES, I was too young, so I grew up away from that style of ganeplay when I was younger. Now trying to go back and comparing them to more recent games (like zero mission) the newer games are just better. Its not just the NES, the original pokemon red/blue is awful compared to more recent installments.

It seems like a nostalgia thing for days gone by. Personally, I don't get retro games.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    I'll still Mega Man 2 fairly regularly.
    Yup, me too. It's the game I probably think the fondest of when I think of the NES. That includes all the original Mario and Zelda titles.

I regularly play drunken games of Blades of Steel with my mate for no other reason that it's ridiculous fun and we're both equally pathetic after a few beers. We'll fire up my copy of Gyromite occasionally as well as that is really good fun. Also, Bubble Bobble!

I do still go back to the original Mario games quite often. Some people might argue too much when you consider my current high score on the Mario 1 challenge thread.

I have never completed the original Legend of Zelda though. I boot it up every once in a while but I can never get into it. I think because I started with ALLTP I was a bit spoiled.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I occasionally play Battletoads on an emulator if that counts.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I do play the original Mario games quite a lot but I find that when I go back to them I usually go back to remakes or ports (either the GBA ports or Super Mario All-Stars on SNES.)

To those fearing that you are too young: It's never to late to give it a go! Atari 2600 went on sale a good six years before I was born but I can think of more than one Atari 2600 game I can easily spend hours on.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I do play the original Mario games quite a lot but I find that when I go back to them I usually go back to remakes or ports (either the GBA ports or Super Mario All-Stars on SNES.)

To those fearing that you are too young: It's never to late to give it a go! Atari 2600 went on sale a good six years before I was born but I can think of more than one Atari 2600 game I can easily spend hours on.
    Missile Command.

Articles

NES games just aren't for me. I have the ambassador games that came with the 3DS and I just dont like them. For exampke, I hated the adventure of link, I would rather play super Mario 3D world rather than the original etc. Its not through lack of play that I've not got the retro bug, I just prefer more modern games. They are just designed better.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shauna View Post
    I hated the adventure of link
    Is this such an unpopular opinion though

On topic: I have not played many NES games, and the ones I have played, I found I was not great at. xD But, I didn't dedicate any length of time to playing them though, so.

Articles
    Blog Entries

My go-to is Mega Man 1, although I most often play it on Gamecube and PSP (the PSOne Japan import), the versions that keep pretty much everything the same as the original. I used to be able to run all the way up to the last few stages without breaking a sweat but I kinda suck now :\

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I regularly play drunken games of Blades of Steel with my mate for no other reason that it's ridiculous fun and we're both equally pathetic after a few beers.
    One of the craziest legacies of the NES is the Blades of Steel, RBI Baseball, and Tecmo Bowl triumvirate, games that have unreasonable followings to this day. Something about that design of early NES sports games has endured the generations; they're still some of the most fun games you can play with a friend.