Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can you take our picture?!

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's a rare job in which overtime is mandatory.

I used to work in retail and was notorious for two things: being really friendly with customers and being really mean to customers. And slapping my supervisor on the ass a lot. Stupid requests would be met with contempt. Pike's "Would you mind...?" as I'm obviously leaving would result in a "No, obviously I'm leaving. Pay attention."

I'm glad the bosses I've had have not been willing to sacrifice their dignity or the humanity of their staff for an extra £20.

Having said that, now teaching in China. Useless smurfs, the lot of them!

Blog Entries

One that has irked me recently is
    "When are you going to stop dieting? There'll be nothing left of you!" / "Live a little!"

1. When I'm at BMI 22, I will stop losing weight
    2. One does not simply "diet" or "stop dieting" when making a permanent eating and lifestyle change.
    3. If I said to a person of a visually higher BMI "when are you going to stop eating? You're starting to eclipse the sun", it'd generally be considered unacceptable. So why is it perfectly ok at the other end of the scale
    4. I do live a little. Once upon a time treats were treats, not habits.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It might be a change of wardrobe you need to compensate for a change in body. Also, I wouldn't measure yourself using BMI, if I were you. xD

Blog Entries

I think it's more people trying to throw a misguided compliment. I'm not going around wearing old clothes any more, as I'd have to pleat the waistline underneath a belt to make it work

It is fashionable to slag off BMI on the internet at the moment but there's nothing wrong with BMI as an indicator if you're not massively muscular or an ethnic minority (I'm neither). Of course, never use just one tool - working out your body fat percentage with calipers and keeping an eye on your waistline are important as well. But BMI is perfectly fine as an indication.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-Nercy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    Basically, I was dealing with a stressful situation that they knew about and yet still decided to harass me over because my performance numbers weren't up to the expected level they have for stores in general. They knew this store had special issues, they knew what those issues were, and yet still acted surprised when my numbers reflected that.
    Often supervisors/corporate like to come to you with some numbers for no other reason than to demonstrate that they are in a position of power.

When I was working in retail, we'd have corporate visitors come by every now and again to pretty much check off that things were set up as head office said they should be. I knew that even if I got everything perfect, they'd still find something wrong in the littlest way and I'd be stuck fixing something that didn't need fixing in the first place. Once I had to make a Caution: Stairs Ahead sign for two steps in the stock room that were already clearly identifiable with black + yellow tape on the ground. So after learning my lesson, I'd always just leave something deliberately out of place so they'd pick up on that straight away, have a little go at me, and then go back to the office feeling good about themselves.
    Indeed they do. That's why I had to have a heart to heart with this guy. Basically my point was that he was going to either accept some customer complaints until they learned I wasn't easy to fool and not worth their time, or he could accept losing money constantly because they learned that they could get money out of me.

I'm used to playing the numbers game, but when I'm already stressed at a difficult store, that they know is difficult, I'm done playing their game. I'm concentrating on not getting robbed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    Every single morning my boss walks in and says "what kind of shampoo is this?" He will then proceed to tell you 5 minutes later how he has been running this company for 30 years and knows everything. Yet and he can't figure out what shampoo I'm cutting by looking at it. While opening a mold last friday he tried to tell em it did not smell correctly and it took everyone in the shop saying "No Jim, that's how they smell when we open them"

A lady asked on Facebook if any of our shampoo contain tree nut oils since she is very allergic to them and of course he completely leaves out our Virgin Coconut bars that contain Argan oil which states on the bottle "Argan Nut Oil. Contains Tree Nuts" And then I clarified that saying it did contain a nut oil to which she responded "Coconut isn't a tree nut" Gee thanks, I wasn't aware of that or even talking about coconut oil which is in every one of our recipes...
    He pulled some more stupid trout today since he can't friggen hear, accused me of ignoring him and such. Anyways. I quit so I'm now one of those unemployed people. For a couple days at least!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
    It is fashionable to slag off BMI on the internet at the moment but there's nothing wrong with BMI as an indicator if you're not massively muscular or an ethnic minority (I'm neither)..
    Well, I wouldn't say that I'm massively muscular, but I am obese by BMI, and well below average body fat %(average for males is about 20%, I'm at 12%, 5% is considered possibly dangerous). But, to get back on topic...

I work at McDonald's, and McDonald's has a lot of seasonal products, or we get rid of a lot of products that stop selling so well. For example, we are no longer serving the Cherry Pies all year round, they will be a seasonal product from now on, but I always seem to have someone come through and ask for them and, when I say we no longer have them, give me a flurry of questions ranging from "Why!?" to "When will they be back!?". It's as if people think that I personally made the decision to get rid of the Cherry Pies.

Another great one is that we used to have all size fountain drinks be $1, but now the small is $1, the medium is $1.19, and the large is $1.29. So many people, like, SO MANY PEOPLE complained their asses off about the pops going up 30 cents. People cussed me out because of it, people told me that they just lost my business, people asked to speak to my manager and complained to them when it was a decision by our owner, and, even above that, all of the owners in my city. They are literally cussing me out, who is under my hourly manager, who is under their department manager, who is under the general manager, who is under the store supervisor, who is under the owner, who is part of a group that made this decision. I'm 5 degrees out from having a say in the matter, and they're gonna cuss me out.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
    I think it's more people trying to throw a misguided compliment. I'm not going around wearing old clothes any more, as I'd have to pleat the waistline underneath a belt to make it work

It is fashionable to slag off BMI on the internet at the moment but there's nothing wrong with BMI as an indicator if you're not massively muscular or an ethnic minority (I'm neither). Of course, never use just one tool - working out your body fat percentage with calipers and keeping an eye on your waistline are important as well. But BMI is perfectly fine as an indication.
    I went to try that chart but a.) have no idea how much I weigh, and b.) even if I did I have no idea what a "stone" is.

Blog Entries

1 stone = 14 pounds

1 foot = 12 inches

Imperial logic, I know..