Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Redeem yourselves, England!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Any of the pale ales or golden ales that I drink back home, allowed to get to room temperature before being drank, would earn you a well targeted flick to the bollocks.

I think I'm starting to see an unreconcilable disconnect forming here. Some people actually think warm beer enhances flavour and doesn't make the beer taste like fresh trucker's urine? The only beer I've had served to me that isn't completely cold is a few different stouts and that was okay.

Blog Entries

It's baffling for me too. I can't fathom any sort of beer being drunk at any temperature other than ice cold. I've always considered a James Squire Golden Ale to be my 'winter' beer of choice, but it's still gotta be cold.

Articles
    Blog Entries

James Squire is my favourite brewery as well Mo, the Pale and Golden ales are so nice but not if you let them get warm. Little Creatures is another favourite Aussie beer.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The problem is you've reinforced the idea of piss being what beer tastes like through your pissy beers, so that when a proper one hits your mouth you assume there's something wrong.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'll see, I'm not going to pass judgement till the end of the trip. But honestly, the fact that England keeps Fosters on tap doesn't bode well.

Thanks to DK for being the only Brit who was able to name a beer actually worth trying.

Blog Entries

Beer worth trying is regional (cask ale doesn't travel very far), so there's little point in reeling off a bunch of Northern pale and golden ales on the assumption that you're down London way somewhere.

"Warm" is obviously a subjective description. Ale doesn't have to be ice cold - many of them actually taste better if they're just cool, not freezing your nuts off. That said, if it's not got a bit of coolness to it, it won't be great. And if it feels warm enough that it could've been poured directly from the bladder, then it'll be unpleasant and needs returning.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    England!
    England
    England
    English
    English
    England
    UK'ers.

I work virtually across the road from the Brains brewery. It's not exactly ice-cold but I wouldn't say it's warm either. Real beers have real flavour at a real temperature.

there was a picture here

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll see, I'm not going to pass judgement till the end of the trip. But honestly, the fact that England keeps Fosters on tap doesn't bode well.

Thanks to DK for being the only Brit who was able to name a beer actually worth trying.
    No point naming beers if we don't know where you're going.

Agreed that a lot of on tap stuff is very depressing. But just go to better pubs and that'll stop happening.

Blog Entries

Or just drink till it doesn't matter anymore. XD

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Never liked beer, myself. Honestly forgotten that people still drink beer. Everywhere I go, people drink spirits of some kind.

From a little research using the internets, I've found that the entire point of ale is that it's fermented and (generally) served at room temperature.

If you think beer tastes awful when it's warm, here's a kicker: You're tasting the same thing, it's just that the coldness is removing most of the taste. Most people like their sweets at any temperature, but there is a very good reason why nobody says to put the fresh hand made chocolate from the local market into the fridge immediately. Same with cookies. Long story short, if beer tastes bad when it's warm, that's because you're drinking troutty beer, or because you just don't like beer and pretend that you do because you chill it to the point that the coldness outweighs the flavour. But then, all beers taste bad to me, so...

Here's a couple of half decent article I stumbled across: 1 2

I've learned a fair bit about something I don't like today. xD
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    England!
    England
    England
    English
    English
    England
    UK'ers.
    TBF, I'm travelling to Scotland as well which a few people on here knew about, so I was happy to get some Scottish beer suggestions. That's my rationalisation at least.

Also, BoB, people invented fridges for a reason. If you want to drink your beverages warm and claim it's more flavourful then so be it. Do you like to drink your soup cold as well?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Nope, but I accept it's because it's basically just a crappily flavoured refreshment rather than some special kind of flavoursome beverage.

Although if you get a classy kind of soft drink it can actually taste alright when it's warm. Same for regular juice.

And again, personally, I find beer to be awful in general so a cold beer is better than a warm beer for me. >_>;
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post

Although if you get a classy kind of soft drink it can actually taste alright when it's warm. Same for regular juice.
    Dr Pepper is great @ room temperature. Some people even heat it up on the stove on a cold day.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Anyone saying that Budweiser is the worst clearly hasn't tried Milwaukee's Best, Keystone Ice, or Natural Ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Well speaking for Huxley as a UKer he is going to tell you to go to Montana instead and get some of our local brews
    California has the best local brews.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Ain't nothing better on a cold winter day when you get inside a pub and order a nice warm fruit beer
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...