Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zack Fair: Badass Hero or Tragic Waste of a Life?

It's strange; in a way, Zack is the real hero of FFVII, and he dies before the game even begins.

Reminds me of what Solid Snake says in MGS: "All the heroes I know are either dead or in prison."

But yeah, that hairdo has got to go.

Articles

Hey, this is my first post other than my introduction over in the Wander Square board so please check that out if you like.

But back to the topic at hand. Having just completed Crisis Core again and having it fresh in my memory, I feel that while CC is a great game and one I would play again in the future, it suffers from the same things that all the FFVII Compilation games suffer from, in that the whole ordeal is incredibly forced.

Zack's character fits with the impression i got from him from the short clips in FFVII.. a slightly cocky young recruit, but at heart friendly and not a bad guy. But he was also mysterious in that we didn't truly know a lot about him, this makes his death and connection to Cloud in the original much more meaningful while not taking the importance away from Cloud as the main protagonist.

CC wanted to tell Zack's story by trying to force new puzzle pieces (read: characters and scenarios) into FF7's world, where they didn't really fit all too well, and part of this is the death scene at the end. It's a dramatic scene and I felt sorry for Zack, but it also felt rushed and too over-the-top (yeah, it's fantasy but how many times can a guy be shot in the face and still chat about it afterwards).

If they had stayed more close to the original source material where Zack, after struggling to escape Shinra with Cloud, is killed with Midgar in sight, i feel the ending would have more impact as well as tug more on the nostalgia heart strings.

So, I prefer the narrative of the original.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Are you suggesting that Dirge of Cerberus was not a masterpiece of gaming?

Articles

Oh, Dirge of Cerberus was the highlight of the whole franchise. A fantastic blend of solid 3rd person action mixed with the thrill that only FF can provide. I mean, of course CC has problems when you compare it to such greatness.

And now this is where you tell me you *do* actually love DoC and that my sarcasm has insulted one of your favourite games isn't it...

Seriously though, I can't remember anything about it .

Articles
    Blog Entries

I remember hurling profanities at the snipers and customizing my gun.

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, that's basically the whole game, to be honest.

Don't you badmouth any of the compilation of FF7! It's all perfect and wonderful

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Make no mistake, I loved DoC. But mostly for the gun customising.

Hey, did anybody bother upgrading the pointless Toy Machine Gun first time around? No? Of course not. And didn't anybody ever play it a second time round? No, of course not. Most probably the most underused Ultima Weapon in any FF game. xD

Why do you say "no"? I upgraded it the first time possible and it is sure not underused but a total killer with different Barrels.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    Make no mistake, I loved DoC. But mostly for the gun customising.

Hey, did anybody bother upgrading the pointless Toy Machine Gun first time around? No? Of course not. And didn't anybody ever play it a second time round? No, of course not. Most probably the most underused Ultima Weapon in any FF game. xD

That's cool. I was pretty much joking anyway as I remember getting relatively far into the story and enjoying it but stopped for some reason. But I do think it suffers from the some of the same issues i mentioned about CC, which ultimately stunted its potential. Shame really.

I liked when Zack charged up the stairs and into the Jenova room to confront Sephiroth.

Then he came flying out again, utterly defeated. After a battle that must have lasted....three seconds?

And then he lay there helpless.

Like a bitch.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I vastly prefer Zack's almost mythical role and death in the original.