Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Computer help please

I just want to preface by saying that I'm really not a computer person so I'm sorry if I give the wrong information or come off like an idiot. I really don't mean to. Please be patient with me.

Now then, I want to play the Sims 4 when it comes out, but my desktop PC is kind of crap. Google gives it a hard time. It's pretty frustrating on its own, but we're on a budget, so I wanted to know what I would need to do to improve my computer to where it needs to be to play the game or if I might as well just buy a new computer.

I think this is the relevant information?

Attachment 58687

Thank you

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hey shion.

A really useful tool you can use in the future is CanYouRunIt? It gives a pretty decent gauge of whether your PC will be able to handle a certain game.

Also, a bit more info would be helpful. Open the Run window (Hold the Windows key + R) and type "dxdiag". This will give you a screen with some tabs. The initial tab gand the "Display" tab would be useful.

Looking at it, a bit more RAM wouldn't hurt. Sims 4 needs a 2GB minimum, which you're just scraping. If you can, throw in an extra GB or two. Depending on what type you use, they can be reasonably cheap.

In terms of graphics, by the looks of it, even a decent onboard chipset could manage it. If you've got any kind of graphics card, I doubt you'll have any issues there.

For others, these are the minimum requirements:

• OS: Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1), Windows 8, or Windows 8.1
    • Processor: 1.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core 4000 or equivalent (For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.0 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-62 or equivalent)
    • Memory: At least 2 GB RAM
    • Hard Drive: At least 9 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games
    • DVD-ROM: DVD ROM drive required for installation only
    • Video Card: 128 MB of Video RAM and support for Pixel Shader 3.0. Supported Video Cards: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better, ATI Radeon X1300 or better, Intel GMA X4500 or better
    • Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible
    • DIRECTX: DirectX 9.0c compatible
    • Input: Keyboard and Mouse

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    Hey shion.

A really useful tool you can use in the future is CanYouRunIt? It gives a pretty decent gauge of whether your PC will be able to handle a certain game.

Also, a bit more info would be helpful. Open the Run window (Hold the Windows key + R) and type "dxdiag". This will give you a screen with some tabs. The initial tab gand the "Display" tab would be useful.

Looking at it, a bit more RAM wouldn't hurt. Sims 4 needs a 2GB minimum, which you're just scraping. If you can, throw in an extra GB or two. Depending on what type you use, they can be reasonably cheap.

In terms of graphics, by the looks of it, even a decent onboard chipset could manage it. If you've got any kind of graphics card, I doubt you'll have any issues there.

For others, these are the minimum requirements:

• OS: Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1), Windows 8, or Windows 8.1
    • Processor: 1.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core 4000 or equivalent (For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.0 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-62 or equivalent)
    • Memory: At least 2 GB RAM
    • Hard Drive: At least 9 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games
    • DVD-ROM: DVD ROM drive required for installation only
    • Video Card: 128 MB of Video RAM and support for Pixel Shader 3.0. Supported Video Cards: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better, ATI Radeon X1300 or better, Intel GMA X4500 or better
    • Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible
    • DIRECTX: DirectX 9.0c compatible
    • Input: Keyboard and Mouse
    So proud of you.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

This is the information can you run it gives me:

Attachment 58694Attachment 58695

Also, didn't know what a Run window is, but I think? This is what you asked for?

Attachment 58696

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Should probably have checked earlier: desktop or laptop?

If you take a peek inside, you can find out what type of RAM you have; DDR, DDR2, DDR3. Not Dance Dance Revolution, unfortunately. Find out the type, then buy some more!

CYRI is biased against integrated chipsets. It says you fail, but then below says that you've ticked all the boxes. Whether it'll run depends on the type of game. Some of the games I can play, my computer failed, but some that I should've been able to play didn't work. The curse of onboard. Graphics cards can get pretty cheap these days, but I'd wait for the recommended specs at least. It's often worth forking out a bit more of your budget for a better one, as this'll have far greater longevity.

For now, wait for the recommended specs to be released. After that, upgrade your RAM as much as you can. After that, buy the game and see how your graphics chipset handles. If it sucks, buy a graphics card.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Alrighty, thank you Quin!

It's a desktop

Articles
    Blog Entries

Computer Test.png
    Computer Test.png

So I decided to run the test as well, because I love The Sims, and I might want to play it.

I only have a laptop (people say that building a desktop is quite easy and cheap, but that's assuming you have money to spend in the first place!) , so I didn't expect the test to go that well.

It actually went pretty well except for one thing. Whatever dedicated video RAM means. It's well under, apparently. What, if anything, can I do for that? I imagine not much.

EDIT: I also did the "Rank my Computer" test, and it's apparently in the 43rd percentile. Not bad for a laptop which I got for free.

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Jesus, 32MB? That can't be right. Something on your laptop is chewing up the rest. The Intel 4000 is not nearly that bad. xD

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

RAM is pretty cheap these days and check tomshardware they have a monthly GPU review based on price and ends with a ranking of AMD and NVIDIA cards. Just a tip when they release the the specs!

Blog Entries

RAM is cheap unless you're looking for older RAM then it can cost you. You'll probably want to upgrade to a video card with at least 1gb of Video memory. If a game is really CPU dependent you're probably going to run into some issues but, those tend to be online games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Are video cards expensive?

Blog Entries

They can be. but, you also aren't going to be looking for a brand new top of the line fancy one. You'll be looking for a model a few years old. You will need a PCIexpress slot and the appropriate power hook ups for a GPU. Most computers should have these.
    It can be a bit of a power hog so you may need to upgrade your power supply but, I always had good luck with a GTX460
    http://www.ascendtech.us/nvidia-gefo...ent=pricewatch
    I also had good luck with a GTX260 so this may work for you and would be less of a power hog
    http://www.pricewatch.com/price/vide...ce_gts_250_1gb

FYI I am currently using a 4 series card (GTX480) and they are currently making 7 series cards so, the 4 series are still decent cards.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Jesus, 32MB? That can't be right. Something on your laptop is chewing up the rest. The Intel 4000 is not nearly that bad. xD
    How do I find out what IS chewing up the rest?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

You can always pirate it to test the waters then buy it if things look good c:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    How do I find out what IS chewing up the rest?
    I guess you could run something like catzilla which will test everything out and see how it runs and suggests setting adjustments.