Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top Five Non-Square/Enix/Squenix RPG series

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Top Five Non-Square/Enix/Squenix RPG series

What it says on the tin, ignoring the works of Enix, Square, or Square-Enix, what are your top five RPG series?

:monster:

1. Suikoden
    2. Mother/EarthBound
    3. Shadow Hearts
    4. uhh... maybe Lufia? idk.

I need to play more non-Squenix RPG series apparently
    Last edited by The Man; 08-24-2014 at 04:25 PM.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Series? Including or excluding single title IPs? Not that it really matters to my list, but I am curious.

1. Persona
    2. Golden Sun
    3. Shining Force
    4. Mass Effect
    5. Fire Emblem

Also, I figured I might as well pitch this in.

I don't fully agree with the list, but it's still an excellent watch that can suggest some great titles, or point out ones that might be overlooked.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 08-20-2014 at 09:13 AM.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo

1. The Elder Scrolls
    2. Deus Ex
    3. Pokemon
    4. Fallout
    5. Zelda if it counts but I don't think it does, so tossup between Torchlight, Diablo and KotOR. Good gravy Torchlight is really good. I imagine Baldur's Gate would be up here somewhere but I haven't played BG2 yet and that's the biggie

Interesting how that guy in the video says "no Square, no Enix" but mentions Lost Odyssey, something from Hironobu Sakaguchi. I guess it is still not so well known that people behind a companies' name make the games, not a name of a company. A former Square employee/creator of Final Fantasy counts as much, especially if so important.

Anyways:

My vote goes to the Atelier Series.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Interesting how that guy in the video says "no Square, no Enix" but mentions Lost Odyssey, something from Hironobu Sakaguchi. I guess it is still not so well known that people behind a companies' name make the games, not a name of a company. A former Square employee/creator of Final Fantasy counts as much, especially if so important.
    I guarantee that ProJared knows that Sakaguchi made Lost Odyssey, and that he used to work for Square. But, his stipulations were to not include anything by Square or Enix, and he didn't, regardless of who actually made Lost Odyssey.

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    I guarantee that ProJared knows that Sakaguchi made Lost Odyssey, and that he used to work for Square. But, his stipulations were to not include anything by Square or Enix, and he didn't, regardless of who actually made Lost Odyssey.
    It really does not matter if he includes Square Enix as a company or not, just as I explained. Those RPGs are known to be made by certain well known people (not that it was only made by them I just cannot name anyone) and when Square suddenly would no longer have Hironobu Sakaguchi (which it hasn't), Nobuo Uematsu (which it hasn't), Tetsuya Nomura, Yoshinori Kitase, Daisuke Watanabe, Motomu Toriyama, Kazushige Nojima and such and they would all make one company together that makes a game you cannot say "this one does count because it was not made by Square".
    Nothing is made by Square Enix the person. Square Enix is no person (something you know of course), it is a company for which people are working and a game of a company not called "Square Enix" but made by the key elements that are known to have made the RPGs of Square is equal to "a game made by Square" as it is still the same people and that is what is important for everyone as just working for a successful company does not automatically mean you are good. It is the people themselves who have the talent and in case of Square Enix or other game creators we always think of certain people who work for them and define the games we like. And that is everything I want to say with it. The companies' name is not important, they do not suddenly vanish into nothingness just because they leave and have the same skills wherever they work. So using 10 games (he didn't, that is an example) that were all made by ex-Square Enix worker thats were important for production can't be really counted in such a list, the name of the company not being the same is no excuse then. They become part of another company but are still the geniuses which defined other things. For the same reason Mistwalker games were often introduced to people as games "made from the creator of Final Fantasy". As a part of a company we always can say "company c made the game" and that is not wrong as whoever works for them is a part of them. Still those who do the work are important and defining. So five people making a game for another company instead of the one from before does not make a difference. We can expect the same kind of success at least from their part. A company name is more important when it comes to selling things. But as said, even there are exceptions because Hironobu Sakaguchi for example is so popular that his name alone was enough as people at least somehow knew what he defined.

I hope that cleared it up a bit.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 08-18-2014 at 06:50 PM.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Thanks for the essay, but I knew exactly what you were saying to begin with. It still doesn't change though, that the stipulation for his video was "No games from under the Square Enix banner" and he followed that through. Yes, the people behind the banner are who count, but it makes no odds to his list and the one rule he had for it.

Anyway, on topic:

Suikoden
    Wild ARMs
    Tales of
    Atelier Games
    Vandal Hearts

Articles
    Blog Entries

1.) Mass Effect
    2.) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    3.) Pokemon
    Huh.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

5. Xenosaga
    4. Wild ARMS
    3. Breath of Fire
    2. Suikoden
    1. Shin Megami Franchise

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Mass Effect
    Breath of Fire
    Pokemon
    Fire Emblem
    Golden Sun

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries

Zelda
    Suikoden
    Pokemon
    The Elder Scrolls
    Guild Wars

1. Disgaea
    2. Atelier
    3. Hyperdimension Neptunia
    4. Tales
    5. Luminous Arc

...that wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. A lot of my favourite JRPGs aren't part of series~

Lunar
    Suikoden
    Grandia
    Mother
    MegaTen
    Last edited by Bright Shield; 11-20-2015 at 10:18 PM.
    "Repent your sins through death!" - Ramirez - Skies of Arcadia

Boco

1. Shin Megami Tensei (including Persona, DDS, Devil Summoner, etc.)
    2. MOTHER
    3. Tales of
    4. Xenoblade
    5. Fire Emblem
    Last edited by Motdrafin; 01-25-2015 at 12:45 PM.