Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An MMA Thread

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Oh wow so flyweight must be some tiny guys!

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I totally read the title as an AMA thread...

I was like, don't we already do As Me Anything's...

There did used to be a pretty large MMA thread here, I think most of the fans have left the forum, although I know Raist used to be a big fan.

UFC isn't that big over here in the UK, and obviously we get them at pretty unreasonable times (3am live usually, midnight replay the next day), but at least they're all free.

I used to be a big fan, but I feel like in the last couple of years UFC has started to get mega bloated full of mediocre fighters that I don't care about. It's interesting that you mentioned a card and then said you didn't really care about it, because I actually feel the same about most cards these days.
    UFC used to have a card a month at most, but now it's not rare to pump out two or three, and most of these have fighters that you know are never going to make it, or are just there so some potential title contender can beat on some other guy on his way to the final.

Not only that, but Joe Rogan is probably the most irritating commentator in the history of sport, who has such an overrated knowledge that it's unbelievable that people rate his opinion so highly.

I definitely feel what you're saying.

I think I said it already, but I never thought I'd say that we have too many fights but I've been saying it more and more often. I mean, most people would just tell me not to watch the cards I don't care about, but that creates a circular problem. If a person doesn't watch these cards, you miss out on some up-and-comers so when they get bigger you're not really sure who they are.

I still get excited for some cards. Yeah, that PPV I posted coming up this weekend is garbage. I'll still watch it but I'm not excited. However, that other card I posted a week later is quite good.

I think only having UFC as a big organization is lessening my excitement a little too. I'm a fairly new fan in the sense that while I knew of the UFC since UFC 1, I never actually watched it until about 5 years ago. I did a lot of watching of older events, older UFCs, Pride events, other organizations, etc, to try to get a good knowledge of the sport. I spent a lot of time just watching fights.

But when I really got into the sport we had UFC putting on good shows, we had Strikeforce as a serious alternative to UFC because they were putting on great fights and had some of my favourite fighters (Nick Diaz... still my favourite), and not only that, but we had great Japanese MMA in things like Sengoku and Dream. Not only was different talent really showcased, but they had their own thing going on. UFC and Strikeforce took place in a cage, but then I could turn on some Japanese MMA and see action in a ring.

Despite its downfalls, I prefer a ring because it makes it feel more like a sport to me. It's also changes up the strategy of fighters since it's easier to cut off fighters and it's harder to hold people against the ropes than it is against a cage, thus making the wrestling more exciting. It did have its drawbacks like "restarting" fights though when people fell out, so I can see why people would prefer a cage.

Anyway, I'm soon done. I just loved having that variety. I'm not saying all the best fighters being under one roof isn't a good thing, because it's true that now we do get to see a lot of fights that may not have been possible, but I don't know. I just liked having JMMA I guess. It felt different than the UFC. Sure there were some great fighters, but it was a true event. The audience was different, the atmosphere was different. Now we just get the same UFC culture, with the same UFC music. Fighters are actually discouraged to have big elaborate entrances because Dana White generally hates them, whereas in Dream/Pride, you'd have these massive entrances sometimes like Sakuraba or Genki Sudo who are legendary for their fighting skills (moreso Saku) but also their entrances.

I don't know if you were much into JMMA or not, but I absolutely loved that they had that huge New Years Eve event every year, where it went on for like 10 hours and often had a mixture of MMA, kickboxing, some weird rules fights and even some pro wrestling. I had to download it the next day to watch it, but it added excitement to MMA for me. We don't get that anymore.

I think I'm done now.
    Will post for food.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

I watch it sometimes, but I don't really keep up with it.

I watched the Erick Silva vs. what's his name, Mike Brown? recently...that was pretty good fight, if rather one-sided.

One thing I do know is that I would love to watch Cyborg beat the crap out of Ronda Rousey. I'd pay to see that.

I'm not sure Cyborg would, but that's definitely the woman fight to make and she's the only one who could. Love her or hate her, but Rousey is excellent. It feels weird saying I'm a fan of hers now because there's so much attached to that, but I remember seeing her first fights before anybody outside of Judo really knew her and I was really impressed with her. I didn't know that she'd become what she is today because so often in MMA you get people who demolish others in a round but don't amount to much. But Cyborg is excellent too. She's a scary, scary girl.

That Erick Silva fight was disappointing for me because I quite like Silva. I was on his bandwagon thinking he might go far. I still really like him because dude comes to fight always, but I've lessened my expectations of him considerably. He might still do well but he's not going to be champ. Too many killers in Welterweight.
    Will post for food.

As long as it doesn't turn into Sherdog.Com we're good. Those forums are ridiculous lol.
    I was a huge crocop fan back around 08 ish. Usually fleet in and out of paying attention to mma. It's a testament to what a personality can do to your interest in something because I don't even know who most of these fighters are anymore. There aren't as many big names fighting that can sell ppvs.
    That's one of the differences between dubya dubya E and mma.

The only good thing about Sherdog is the shoop threads on the forum. There are some talented people there, and some of them are hilarious.

Yeah, they're going through a bit of a time nowadays. A bunch of people have gone, but Nick Diaz is coming back and he's always interesting. Ronda's still around. If Jon Jones would just go full heel he'd be more interesting, though I still wouldn't like him. Connor McGregor is probably the guy most making waves now due to his personality. He's a fun fighter, and it'll be interesting to see where he goes and how he does.
    Will post for food.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

OKAY so the free thing is tomorrow right? Where can I watch it?

Yay my thread lives! Thanks.

I thought it was free, but it turns out it's on Fight Pass. I guess a lot of their events are these days. Lame.

Since the last post, the previous UFC happened. It was actually pretty entertaining, a good night of fights, but UFC are still a bunch of troutheads for trying to milk people with a PPV that, on paper, was terrible.
    Will post for food.

i bloody love MMA( and boxing) but haven't been able to train in months which also stops me watching it or keeping up with news because i just get annoyed and frustrated that i can't train

kinda weird aha

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I miss fighting quite a lot, but I've never been one for watching it. Same with most sports, to be honest. xD