Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why does Microsoft keep insisting on laptop/tablet hybrids?

Blog Entries

They're certainly more rugged than your average tablet keyboard. I wouldn't want to take my Surface Pro 2 to an excavation site, for example. And when I talk about students I mean for essay, report and dissertation writing rather than note-taking (I just did that with a pen and paper). Tablets are more oriented for media consumption and ultra-portability rather than work.

there was a picture here

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I know it's circumstantial, but I've read about several businesses who really like the surface pro series as a tool for increased productivity, both in the field and in more typical office settings.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Is that something you do on an ultraportable laptop, though? I don't think anyone is arguing that any tablet can replace a proper workstation.
    Some of it can be done on my laptop, but not if it involves heavy rendering. It's just not effective and it takes too long, crashes, etc. My laptop is also extremely heavy -- I've had a new hard drive put in three times and it seems every new hard drive has gotten heavier. It may just be my imagination though. Looking forward for them to make something super strong and super portable because I like to be able to work anywhere. Still my Macbook pro is far stronger than any tablet either companies have produced. Where it's hard to do some things on the Pro, it's near impossible or completely impossible to do them on an iPad. Keyboards are also better for typing for most people than screens. Basically what I'm saying is no, tablets cannot replace laptops as there is still a huge use for laptops as someone said particuarly with college students who need something stronger -- maybe in the future when they figure out a way to make it stronger.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

It's almost as if people have different tastes, preferences, and budgets or something.

Amazing concept.

Blog Entries

Microsoft doesnt "insist" on Tablet/Laptop hybrids. They make them and market them and people buy them because they suit their needs but Microsoft hasnt stoped supporting powerful gaming laptops and the like. It's just that theres no reason to market them because anyone who actually wants a powerful gaming laptop will google what type to get, where as not everyone would be aware of the versatility and existence of a surface pro 2 which is perfect for average business and personal needs which is the demographic for this product.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Is that something you do on an ultraportable laptop, though? I don't think anyone is arguing that any tablet can replace a proper workstation.
    Some of it can be done on my laptop, but not if it involves heavy rendering. It's just not effective and it takes too long, crashes, etc. My laptop is also extremely heavy -- I've had a new hard drive put in three times and it seems every new hard drive has gotten heavier. It may just be my imagination though. Looking forward for them to make something super strong and super portable because I like to be able to work anywhere. Still my Macbook pro is far stronger than any tablet either companies have produced. Where it's hard to do some things on the Pro, it's near impossible or completely impossible to do them on an iPad. Keyboards are also better for typing for most people than screens. Basically what I'm saying is no, tablets cannot replace laptops as there is still a huge use for laptops as someone said particuarly with college students who need something stronger -- maybe in the future when they figure out a way to make it stronger.
    Just curious, what are the specs on your Macbook Pro?

Blog Entries

Someday we're getting a Surface Pro 3.

Why is this in The Lounge? Shouldn't it be down in Tech discussion?

I've never used a Surface Pro, but I can imagine how handy they are.. Good for playing with while traveling, then if you stop somewhere and need/want to use the keyboard, BAM! Can just pop it on!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

You can buy my SP2 and then I can use that money to buy a SP3!

Blog Entries

ololol P sure my bf won't go for that :P

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

yeah but think about me! I'm important too!

Anyway, enjoy your SP3. I suggest getting one of the i5 models. i3 is a bit weak, and comes with a bit low ram and storage. the i7 models are technically best, but the i7 processors use a lot more power which means more heat which means the fan will make noise more often.

My SP2 has an i5, 8 GB RAM and 256MB SSD. I wouldn't personally have bought an SP3 with less than that, in the hypothetical situation where I didn't already spend a lot on a surface already, of course .

Blog Entries

It'll be awhile before we invest. Maybe 1st 1/2 of 2015 lol

I think Microsoft needs to design a tablet that can function solely as a tablet, similar to Apple and Android tablets, if they want a larger share of the tablet market. And the operating system on it should not be called Windows, but by another name.
    Is that your final answer?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    I think Microsoft needs to design a tablet that can function solely as a tablet
    What... exactly does this mean?

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    I think Microsoft needs to design a tablet that can function solely as a tablet, similar to Apple and Android tablets, if they want a larger share of the tablet market. And the operating system on it should not be called Windows, but by another name.
    It's great to have an opinion.