Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: Final Fantasy XV is an All Male Road Trip

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

i pretend i'm not bothered, but then i think back to all the other ff games? i tend to gravitate to the female characters (like belt mage from ffx). but who knows. bara is in and there's definitely a bara. a-okay!

Prinny God Recognized Member Endless's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll wait to see if the women are actual characters with a real role or yet others ditzy and/or damsels in distress. That would be really sad.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

As a feminist, I really don't see this as an issue. If it fits in the story, it fits. We have this wolf pack dynamic between the characters, going on a road trip - it is something new that seems fresh and if throwing in female characters just to please fans would compromise that, then I don't think they should. Let's just watch and see how this plays out. I'm pretty confident that the dynamics between the characters will be awesome.

Also, X-2 had an all-female party. I liked that game despite it's terrible story and thought it was really fun, and I don't really remember anyone complaining about the lack of male party members.

So let's just see what the creators have in mind for them I'm sure it'll be different, and different can go both ways. I'm pretty confident it'll at least be fun.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

You can't break the three female rule!

A lot of people had reservations about X-2 being a girly dress up fest and I gave it a chance and enjoyed it. I'm happy to give the brofest road trip a go too.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

X-2 was a sequel of a game that had a pretty diverse cast so I think it was a little bit different situation and you could take more liberties there. But maybe FFXV-2 will have some chicks in it. As long as they don't all have similar personalities and the female NPCs aren't relegated to damsel roles then it may be fine.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles

True enough, though if you think about it, Versus-XIII was meant to be part of a series with a wide and diverse cast, including three games with female leads. From what I've seen Stella seems to be a very important character and a strong one too, so I'm willing to give it a chance.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm not really bothered by this, as other people have pointed out, if it works for the narrative then the gender dynamics shouldn't really matter.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Yeah, I'm willing to give it a shot. I mean, I side-eye it a little bit, but then I think that it might be okay.

Don't let us down, Square! :3

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah like I said in my first post I try to think of this as Versus rather than FFXV and so it's just not going to have the traditional cornerstones one would expect from the main FF series. The most important thing about the characters is not their gender but their personalities so hopefully SE writes them to be engaging. Hopefully we don't get something like:

1. Rebellious and reckless rich kid
    2. Fun loving best friend
    3. Mysterious quiet guy
    4. Serious older mentor guy

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

They look pretty engaging already, if you ask me. They seem to have a really fun, organic dynamic.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    1. Rebellious and reckless rich kid
    Noctis is said to be a shy person, but he initially tries to hide this by "acting cool". He is a prince, the last heir to a dynasty of the kingdom of Lucis, being the last kingdom to have control over crystals.
    2. Fun loving best friend
    Prompto maintains a playful attitude towards Noctis despite being a wanted felon. He is described as a skirt-chasing mood maker with a chip on his shoulder from a different social status compared to his other friends, and thus feels inferior to them but wishes to be useful.
    3. Mysterious quiet guy
    Ignis has a composed, serious, and cool personality, something to contrast Gladiolus and Prompto. Ignis has been friends with Noctis since early childhood. He received a special education for gifted children to work as a staff officer for Noctis and acts as the understanding consultant for him.
    4. Serious older mentor guy
    Cor is a middle-aged man with short brown hair, light blue eyes, and a grim face. He is a stubborn and stern, no-nonsense military man sworn to King Regis and his country. He is strict with Noctis and his friends, and though he does not always see things eye to eye with them, he is duty-bound to watch over them

Ruh-roh.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Can't tell if Del is trolling or if that was just a happy accident. Both = fun.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

A little of column A, a little of column B.

Final Fantasy: Hangover

Can't wait to see what Las Vegas looks like in a Square-inspired world :P

I am a little disappointed, but I too would wait to pass judgement

Though honestly I don't know what bro-trip they're basing this on. Other than The Hangover, I can't think of any road trip movie that didn't involve female cast members. But then again it's not particularly my favorite genre of movie, and I see it more frequently in horror movies, who thrive on sexuality; heterosexuality. Which requires females. So this really isn't something I should compare to experience I suppose. We'll see. But if they need to have all dudes to keep the authenticity of their story and characters, they better actually be writing characters and not tropes and archetypes Japan loves to rely on. Because I won't hesitate to call them out on that bad story-telling regardless of female cast members or a lack there of

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm glad I never hopped aboard the hype train to begin with. My only interest was playing as Stella and that hope has just been crushed as I expected it to be. I've no further interest in this game and I already commented that I don't like the "road trip" vibe they're going for. That said, Tabata, thank you for actually sharing with us details on the game and I wish you all the best. He seems to have a good track record of putting out high quality games in a timely manner so those who are hyped may see it in a year or two. I'd go with two just to be safe.