Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Game letdowns

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Half-Life 2 has to be at the top of the list.
    Half-Life period.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Quote Originally Posted by Polnareff View Post
    Bravely Default was the same way for me too. The combat system is so disjointed. I was hoping that S-E would remake FFV in 3D. Seems we got BD instead. Personally, I'd be happy with a real sequel to 4 Heroes of Light (which I know BD was supposed to be that, basically, but it plays nothing like the original).
    I literally can't fathom anyone playing 4HoL and BD and coming away thinking the former was superior in any gameplay-related way.

Blog Entries

I partly liked breaking 4HoL in half. You can't really do that with Bravely Default. Once you figure out how the points work in 4HoL, it becomes much more fun to play. That and the classes actually seem to be quite a bit more diverse.

Plus, I thought the whole brave/default system in BD bogged the game down to ridiculous amounts. When you have to sit there for 25 minutes even while fast forwarding the game to beat ONE boss, it gets tiresome. I'd like to see Square/Matrix make another RPG very similar to 4HoL, but without a mechanic that severely slows the game's battles down.

I know Sephex is probably referring to me when he made his post, but I seriously could not get into any of those games I mentioned before. Rag on me if you will, but I just couldn't. It's not a matter of being a hipster and hating things because they're popular. I beat Chrono Trigger twice, for example. Had to force myself through both times though. If that makes me a hipster, I guess I'm a hipster then.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I was excited to play The Legend of Spyro games because how could they ruin Spyro? You're a frickin' dragon who collects gems while taking down a bunch of colourful characters in pretty great landscapes. It's such a simple concept.

They managed it, though. Of course they did.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    I was excited to play The Legend of Spyro games because how could they ruin Spyro? You're a frickin' dragon who collects gems while taking down a bunch of colourful characters in pretty great landscapes. It's such a simple concept.

They managed it, though. Of course they did.
    I warned you. I think. Did I warn you? I know we had the Spyro talk before.
    If I didn't the forum must have ate my message.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I played them long before you were a member. xD

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    I played them long before you were a member. xD
    That explains it. Posts don't travel back in time yet.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Having to spend more actual money, instead of in game money, to get different cars and tracks I wanted on the latest Gran Turismo sorta sucks. Plus things like the sound, collision damage, and system of car customization hasn't really improved that much.

When you combine with it the fact that track surfaces don't really change under race conditions as they should, cars still don't experience things like brake fade, and Polyphony still insists on having 8 slightly different versions of a car instead of actually bringing in different cars, it becomes a let down.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Polnareff View Post
    I partly liked breaking 4HoL in half. You can't really do that with Bravely Default. Once you figure out how the points work in 4HoL, it becomes much more fun to play. That and the classes actually seem to be quite a bit more diverse.

Plus, I thought the whole brave/default system in BD bogged the game down to ridiculous amounts. When you have to sit there for 25 minutes even while fast forwarding the game to beat ONE boss, it gets tiresome. I'd like to see Square/Matrix make another RPG very similar to 4HoL, but without a mechanic that severely slows the game's battles down.

I know Sephex is probably referring to me when he made his post, but I seriously could not get into any of those games I mentioned before. Rag on me if you will, but I just couldn't. It's not a matter of being a hipster and hating things because they're popular. I beat Chrono Trigger twice, for example. Had to force myself through both times though. If that makes me a hipster, I guess I'm a hipster then.
    I actually felt you explained yourself pretty well. My parody was more about making fun of threads and the responses I usually see, rather than one or more person. The rest of this post is further expanding my thoughts on my end of things, and is not in reply to you.

My thing is that I feel that most people name popular titles just because. Like, for example, if someone claims to say Halo is the worst first person shooter ever then they are either just trying to get a rise out of people, or that they clearly don't have that much gaming experience under their belt.

Most people just can't step outside of themselves and think, "Well, maybe this isn't for me." It's always black or white statements like, "[title] is the WORST game ever!" or something nearly/equally melodramatic. If feeling like an acclaimed title let you down is one of the bigger struggles in your life, consider yourself lucky and move on, you know?

I admit that I am the odd one out in situations like these. I have a more relaxed mindset. If something in terms of media lets me down, yeah, I feel bad about it. But I don't go patrol the internet and make sure every last person I come across HAS to feel like me. Life is just way too short to be that miserable. Something I wanted to like didn't pan out? Oh well, that sucks...

Time to move on.