Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shauna's Disney Extravaganza!

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

#16! Why do you hate freedom, Shauna?!

btw, I'm just troutting you.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Still haven't seen this movie. I should probably rectify that at some point.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I just like other movies better, alright m8!?

Really though, my personal Top 20 is one that would probably be completely different if I were to watch everything all over again and re-rank them. There are many that are on the same level of excellence for me, and at that moment on that day, I was made to choose whether I thought Wreck-It Ralph was better than The Lion King... I put The Lion King ahead. Who knows if I'd make that choice again!

Articles

Were people expecting to see this one?

The Emperor’s New Groove (2000)

Matt ranked it at 6. Shauna ranked it at 7.
    OVERALL SCORE: 6.5

Matt: So when you think Disney you think of magic and wonderful movies like Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Frozen etc. How many of you've actually watched “The Emperor's New Groove”? Most of you? Oh. Well for the few that haven't The Emperor's New Groove is one of those rare Disney Movies that flies just below the radar.

The reason this ranks at our number 3 isn't because it's has grand set pieces, is beautiful or has a great musical score like most other Disney classics. The Emperor's New Groove is a whirlwind of Laughs from start to finish. Legitimately if you've not laughed at least once every minute something is wrong with you. From Kuzco being a massive narcissistic jerk, Pacha being the straight man even in the face of death, Kronk being a loveable dumbass or Yzma being legitimately the worst Disney villain of all time everything seems to roll together in one massive package so neatly. There is no room for breath before the next set piece or joke is set up.

I'm not going to sell this more than it needs to. If you've seen this, you know what this movie is. If you've not, go watch it. It's like an hour long.

Shauna:Unlike Mulan, I remember this movie coming out pretty vividly. A few of my friends went to see it at the cinema, and raved about how good it was. I didn’t see it though because I wasn’t invited along, not that I’m sore about that or anything. But it didn’t matter anyway, because I specifically remember being right in the middle of my “Disney is for smelly babbies” phase of my life, and I definitely didn’t want to see this dumb kids rubbish anyway. So I didn’t see it, and I didn’t care to see it.

Roll on my Disney binge and this was one of the ones I was a little bit hesitant about, because of my initial childish “No thank you” reaction to it, all those years previous. But. I watched it because that’s what I was doing. It was a Disney movie and it needed to be viewed.

To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement. I don’t think I have laughed so much at a movie in my life. This may be an exaggeration, but I’ll let it stand since this movie really is just that good. It is just pure comic genius from start to finish. The visual humour is fantastic, and it is a really well written movie. Some of the lines they come out with are hilarious. A lot of the movies so far on this list have been touching and emotional and there may have been tears, but The Emperor’s New Groove needs none of that to be a fantastic piece of work. Except tears. Of laughter.

The story is mainly nonsense, and the characters are all super goofy. But it all comes together nicely in the end. Although they are silly, the characters really are the ones who make the movie worthwhile. Kuzco and Pacha are our, well, heroes I suppose you could say, despite Kuzco being a massive twat for the whole movie (even when he half turns over a new leaf). They have a pretty amusing bromance and they play well off each other.

But really, the stars of the show are Yzma and Kronk. The least threatening and villainous Disney bad guys to grace our screens – and that’s okay, they really don’t need to be. Much like our heroes, these two are an amazing tag team of laughs. Kronk in particular. I definitely came away from this movie with him as my favourite character. He’s just so delightfully dense. Pity his sequel wasn’t fantastic – he’s just not a deep enough character to carry his own film. None of them are, really, but that’s why The Emperor’s New Groove didn’t focus on just one of them.

Really that’s all there is to this movie. Laughs. And then some more laughs. I can’t think of many other Disney Animated Classics that tried to do this. And succeeded too – Meet the Robinsons tried, but they didn’t seem to know what it was that made The Emperor’s New Groove so fantastic. If you haven’t seen it, give it a watch. You’ll probably like it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

I'm a little surprised to see this so high, but pleasantly so. What made the movie for me was Yzma and Kronk playing off of each other. Patrick Warburton & Eartha Kitt were perfectly cast as those two, and their back-and-forth creates some of the most memorable humor in Disney animation history. I love Eartha Kitt (MSRIP).

I love how oblivious so many of the characters are. Kuzko is oblivious of his own idiocy, as well as Yzma's complicity, even though she barely even tries to hide it. Yzma seems oblivious to Kronk's incompetence (otherwise, what's her excuse), and Kronk seems oblivious to, well, everything.

The poisoning scene is fantastic, the scene at Pacha's house is great, but the scene that made me laugh the most is Kronk hauling Kuzko's body to dispose of it. Kronk's humming, his attempt to hide against the wall, the...here I'll just post it.

Good movie. Good pick, Shatt (that's your couple name, right?)

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This movie is the best.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

This is my favourite film ever and I am delighted that it made your top three.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by chionos View Post
    Good movie. Good pick, Shatt (that's your couple name, right?)
    No.

Articles
    Blog Entries

That awkward moment when you realize this came out fourteen years ago.

That's probably the last time I watched this film, too.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Watch it again.

Right now.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

This is one of those extreeeeemely few movies that I have watched more than three times voluntarily. It's probably my most watched film of all time, actually. It's also very, very quotable.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I freaking love this movie and I still quote it. Sometimes when I hit the wrong button on my car and it beeps instead of unlocks I'll say "WRONG LEVER" or randomly I'll say "bad llama"

AHhh I love this movie.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

threw-off-my-groove.jpg

*throws out the window*

Articles

What this does mean are there are two movies better than the emporers new groove though. We do have a space for joint 3rd though so 3 movies to go.

CRAZY WILD SPECULATION GOOO~