Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 48910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: The Shauna's Disney Extravaganza!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Frozen pales in comparison.
    Blasphemy.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Blasphemy.
    It's a very good Disney film but it is vastly overrated. Let it Go is a good song but there are countless Disney songs that are better. It is very enjoyable but wouldn't be anywhere near my top ten.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Blasphemy.
    It's a very good Disney film but it is vastly overrated. Let it Go is a good song but there are countless Disney songs that are better. It is very enjoyable but wouldn't be anywhere near my top ten.
    It's overrated, I agree. It's only overrated because they kept making a kabillion different covers for that one song and instantly including them in Once Upon a Time and Kingdom Hearts III without letting people get so much as a breath. If Disney knew how to pace themselves it wouldn't be so bad.

I don't know why I'm posting this other to rant about Disney's stupidity. Carry on.

Articles

How..? What..? I don't even..?

Tarzan (1999)

Matt ranked it at 8. Shauna ranked it at 4.
    OVERALL SCORE: 6

Matt: Look guys. I legitimately do not know why Tarzan is at #2 on this list. This one caught us off guard when we made up this list. We've crunched the numbers twice and it's our #2 and no one really knows why. It's one of those rare films that myself and Shauna both put in our top 10, which is why it's soared past by clearly better movies like Wreck it Ralph or Bolt. Obvs

That being said, Tarzan's pretty good. This made my #8 just because of the setting and the music. I think Two Worlds One Family makes four appearances in this movie for real. Never gets old. This song is also amazing.

Putting together a huge number of seeming random noises and bringing them all together for one amazing song after it gets going.

In terms of actual characters and story, there are two things that really stick out for me in this movie. The first is Tarzan's curiosity after he finds out that he's not the only human. Flipping through the photos that they have and learning English stand out here. The wonder in Tarzan's eyes when he learns there is a much larger world out there. The second is all the delightful English characters. I mean, I love pompous English characters, they are always hilarious. Clayton, Jane and Archimedes just being so prudish about pretty much every situation are always entertaining and you know it.

That's all I got tbh. I just think this is a good movie filled with great music and curiosity.

Shauna:When going into this Disney watchathon, I did not expect Tarzan to hit my Top 10. I mean, I always imagined that it would be high up, because I do really like the film. But to be #4 for me? Honestly a shock to myself, even now. Again, this wasn’t one that I watched as a kid aside from some clips here and there at my aunt’s. Tarzan was essentially another Mulan for me.

Thinking about why I enjoyed this so much… I’m not sure. I remember talking to Matt about it after we watched it, and I said something like it just struck the perfect balance of funny and serious for me. It’s never tearjerking, but various points did make me sad, and they are paced well throughout the whole movie. Some of the lines in it are very clever, and over the many times I’ve watched it, it never fails to make me laugh. A good example is the introduction of Tarzan and Jane to each other - it is amusing then very suddenly it becomes touching within moments, without feeling like there’s emotional whiplash going on.

I also really like the soundtrack. All that classic Phil Collins. One of my favourites, for reasons unbeknownst to anyone.

The characters hit all the right spots for me too. Tarzan is a bit bland, but his heart is in the right place, and I really felt his frustration at being different. His animal best friends are also okay – they toe the annoying line, but don’t ever outright cross the line - and I really love the “Trashin’ the Camp” scene. The ape cast are pretty good – Kerchak and Kala’s extremely polar opposite reactions to losing a kid unfold well throughout the movie. The human bunch are pretty good too – the Professor gets a good few laughs out of me as the quirky old guy. Clayton is a great villain, you always know he’s no good, but then when he betrays them all… Argh, you evil man! I should have expected this! Can’t go wrong with Brian Blessed either.

So. Writing this up, I realise my favourite part of this movie. Jane. So delightfully British. So funny. I’m not sure why she resonates so much with me. She just… does. She’s adventurous, wandering around jungles by herself. Well, that’s a bit stupid of her. That scene where she meets the baby monkey gets me every time, it is just so over the top. Despite the stupidity, you can tell she cares about the animals and the jungle, refusing to follow the Clayton destruction paths and frowning upon the incessant shootan’ Clayton does. She’s also kind of weird and awkward particularly when trying to deal with uncivilised Tarzan, which makes for a lot of comedy moments. Man, I dunno. I just think she’s great.

It all just comes together into a movie I really enjoy – admittedly, some parts more than others – but yeah. A fun jungle romp.

Articles

inb4

"The hipster bulltrout is coming!! THE SHAUNA'S HAVE LOST IT!! ABANDON THREAD!!"

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

TWO WORLDS

ONE FAMILY

Blog Entries

For a split second after seeing the image I thought Tarzan II somehow made it onto your list
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Good god no.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I mean, Tarzan is not a bad movie, but NUMBER TWO?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I hate Phil Collins so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxie Poo View Post
    I hate Phil Collins so much.
    He stole South Park's Oscar, the bloody wanker!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Phil Collins is a worse villain than Kefka and Sephiroth combine.

Blog Entries

With only one entry left on the list I'm beginning to think there'll be no forced mating at all
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!