Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: The Shauna's Disney Extravaganza!

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Matt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post

We take Disney very seriously.
    No fun allowed.
    srs business. What do you think this is, the internet!?

This isn't a game! Lives are being affected here!

...not largely, but AFFECTED.

> putting any movie ahead of lion king

wrong
    Last edited by Denmark; 12-24-2014 at 12:41 AM. Reason: also wrong color greentext but lmoa

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

The Great Mouse Detective (1986)

Matt ranked it at 5. Shauna ranked it at 6.
    OVERALL SCORE: 5.5

Matt: So here's the thing about Basil the Great Mouse Detective. More than Emperor's New Groove I feel that this movie is one of the true overlooked Disney Classics. Rarely is a Disney both filled with such nonsense as well as being so dark. It blends the two together so well. Like Tarzan, this one is a sleeper hit we did not intend to see so high, but were pleased when it was. As it's the #1, I can't just say “Hey this movie is something you should watch because it's good” You'll want more than that won't you? You monsters.

This movie is so ridiculously camp, but so sinister at the same time. The start of the movie starts off looking at a toy maker and his daughter before a peg legged bat breaks through the window, beats him up and kidnaps him while his daughter watches. The adorable little Scottish Mouse seeks the help of Basil the Great Mouse Detective after having nowhere else to turn. Basil takes the case after finding out that it is directly related to Professor Ratigan, his nemesis.

Professor Ratigan is the most wonderful villain in all of Disney. You may not know what a pantomime is outside of the UK, but it's a silly stage show. Villain is a pantomime villain through and through. Take his song The World's Greatest Criminal Mind”. He sings about how he's the smartest criminal in the world, and everyone sings to his success. That is until someone correctly calls him a rat and he has them straight up murdered . It's fresh to see a villain that is silly and also so menacing. He also has big goals where he straight up wants to kill the queen to rule the British Empire. It's a amazing.

The good guys are also Superb in this. Basil, much like Sherlock Holmes, is an eccentric genius. In the later part or movie, the whole crew is kidnapped facing certain death until within his madness Basil uses complex mathematical equations to stop 4 individual methods of certain doom from killing himself and Dawson at once. This is the setting for the entire movie. Basil gets out of stupid silly situations using hilariously ingenious methods. I mean, look how he puts together a clue for how to get to his next location which is followed up by the smuttiest song in Disney's History. Even the final battle between Ratigan and Basil atop big ben is concluded in such a fantastic way. Truly concluding that brain is better than Brawn.

Basil the Great Mouse Detective may be an out of nowhere hit for our #1, but it is definitely deserving of the top spot. I suggest that everyone seek it out if they haven't already done so.

Shauna:Hipster enough for you all, Eyes on Final Fantasy? Are you not entertained?! How much do you hate everything we stand for?! Bring it on, nerds!
    What can be said about The Great Mouse Detective? It’s a fun little mystery movie, set in the mouse world. For anyone who doesn’t know, it’s essentially Sherlock Holmes, if he were a rodent. Wait… I think I see a trend in the movies I enjoy. Mice + Adventure = Shauna’s faves.

This is just a great film. As I said before, it’s a fun adventure through mousey London, but it can also be quite dark at times. Some of the things that happen in it are silly and ridiculous, but the seriousness of the plot balances that out and keeps everything moving forward. Really, you’re going to replace the Mouse Queen of Britain with a clockwork creation? Sure thing.

I really enjoy the cast of this movie. I mean, yes, they’re pretty much Sherlock Holmes and Co, but that’s perfectly fine. Basil is a bit of a prat, disregarding his team because he is on a superior level to everyone. But you can’t deny that he is brilliant, and the movie makes a point of showing this off when it can, with ridiculous deductions from almost nothing. Some of the best parts are when Basil is onto something and he just says and does a bunch of smart sounding and scientific things and boom, he has all the answers. It’s great. Dawson is very much just the Watson character, Basil’s faithful sidekick, helping out to solve the mystery the best he can, slapping some sense into Basil when necessary. Olivia is an adorable little Scottish mouse who is adorable and that’s pretty much it.

As for the villain, Ratigan is impressive. Voiced by the eternally wonderful Vincent Price, he gets the character just right. He is brilliant, just like Basil. He is seriously campy, singing songs about how wonderful he is; wearing top hats and a cravat. At the same time as all this, he is openly evil – kidnapping children and having his henchmen fed alive to his cat. But, when he cracks when his plans are all falling apart, he becomes truly menacing. A terrifying animalistic… well, rat. And it is a chilling transformation.

The location pieces are really great too. From the furious battle in the Tower of London between Basil and Ratigan, to the reveal of the replacement Mouse Queen in Buckingham Palace. I also really like all the scenes in the tavern and Ratigan’s base, that’s where the whole two musical numbers take place, which are wonderful, and also where the funny moments of the movie really shine. Oh that Dawson, drinking the spiked alcohols. What a character!

Honestly, this movie is just a lot of fun, while still keeping an edge of the serious matter at hand. Unlike the Emperor’s New Groove, which is fun, but it focuses on the silly. I guess I just like a little bit of a serious and dark tone in my movies. Oh, also, mice having crazy romps rescuing people.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Holy crap, I remember this film!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

.Okay this is a film I'm confident I've seen but don't remember.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I liked that movie

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll have to watch this movie again soon. It's been way too long, and I do really love this movie.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Definitely should do that!

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Thumbs up

Interesting list. Quite a few I've yet to see, especially from that era of Mulan, Emperor's Groove & Tarzan.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

"Interesting"

That's an interesting way to put it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The trailer for this film used to be on my VHS copy of The Lion King, it never seemed particularly appealing to me but that may have a lot to do with it standing in the way of my watching the Lion King for the 500th time. Either way, I didn't see Toy Story 3 make an appearance so you've officially ruined Christmas, I hope you're both happy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    "Interesting"

That's an interesting way to put it.
    That's an interesting observation.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    Either way, I didn't see Toy Story 3 make an appearance so you've officially ruined Christmas, I hope you're both happy.
    How the Shaunas stole Christmas.

Articles

So you've had the top 10, now time for the bottom 10,

You are not ready for this List.

#91Chicken Little (Matt: 95, Shauna: 82, Score: 88.5)

#92Tarzan & Jane (Matt: 81, Shauna: 98, Score: 89.5)

#93Brother Bear 2 (Matt: 86, Shauna: 95, Score: 90.5)

#94The Jungle Book 2 (Matt: 90, Shauna: 93, Score: 91)

#95101 Dalmatians 2: Patch's London Adventure (Matt: 94, Shauna: 94, Score: 94)

#96The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Matt: 97, Shauna: 93, Score: 95)

#97The Hunchback of Notre Dame II: The Secret of the Bell (Matt: 96, Shauna: 96, Score: 96)

#98Beauty and the Beast: Belle's Magical World (Matt: 98, Shauna: 97, Score: 97.5)

#99Cinderella II: Dreams Come True (Matt: 99, Shauna: 99, Score: 99)

#100Aladdin (Matt: 100, Shauna: 100, Score: 100)

Just Kidding. #100Atlantis: Milo's Return (Matt: 100, Shauna: 100, Score: 100)