Page 1 of 19 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shauna's Disney Extravaganza!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Default The Shauna's Disney Extravaganza!

Unless you have been living under a rock, or alternatively simply do not have Dat Matt on Facebook, you may be mildly aware that we have undergone a massive watch of all the Disney Animated Classics (and their questionable sequels) over the course of the past 12 months. It has been a long trip, but we have finally come to the end of it.

Fairly early on, we decided to keep track of what we would consider to be our “favourites”, ranking them numerically. We could see how our tastes differed, and also have numbers associated with them making it easy for us to compare. Also numbered lists are cool.

With our list of 100 movies ranked, we averaged them out and found our combined Top 10, which you, lucky Eyes on Final Fantasy forum goers, will get to find out about right here!

Are you ready for some ~*~magic~*~? Because here we go!

Note: There are actually 13 movies because a number of them had the same average score and after some mild discussion over what would go higher, we decided to not bother trying to do that anymore and instead have some movies share a place. We will also post our individual lists at some point, so you can decide who the most objectively correct Disney media consumer is. Nonetheless, I do hope you enjoy our list, and our shoddily put together header image.

Movies so Far
    #10. Monsters Inc
    #9. The Rescuers
    #9. The Lion King
    #8. Beauty and the Beast
    #7. Bolt
    #7. Alice in Wonderland
    #6. Mulan
    #5. Toy Story
    #4. Wreck-It Ralph
    #3. The Emperor's New Groove
    #3. Tangled
    #2. Tarzan

Honourable Mentions!

#1. The Great Mouse Detective

the 10 Worst Disney Animated Movies

Articles

We will slowly be releasing out the top 10 because hype, probably one film a day. Feel free to make predictions on the contents of the list before it is made. I want to see your tears when *INSERT DISNEY MOVIE HERE* is not on the list.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

#1 will be a tie for Up, Wreck-It-Ralph and Lilo & Stitch.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I actually really enjoyed the apparently shoddy header image.

It's a good thing you specified animated because it's obvious Mary Poppins is the greatest ever Disney movie.

Articles

We did watch Cherry Bobbins, but due to reasons no live action movies are on the list. So Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End is not #1

PS - Shauna made the header. I would have just used this if I were in charge.

This is a close second

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

To be fair, *INSERT DISNEY MOVIE HERE* was a tad overrated. The characters were pretty bland and when you hire Phil Collins to do the music... it never stood a chance.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Guessing by the header image that we're not counting Pixar?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Pixar is included, because... why not.

The header is shoddy because I stole a stock image from the Internet and put word art on it. xD

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I personally don't differentiate betwixt Pixar and Disney all too much. Those movies are all Disney to me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Monsters, Inc. (2001)

Matt ranked it at 16. Shauna ranked it at 11.
    OVERALL SCORE: 13.5

Matt: Monsters, Inc is one of those movies that you can just watch constantly on repeat. Because the world is filled with monsters rather than people living day to day lives they make the mundane and ordinary situation of living entertaining.

This movie reached #16 for me because of how convincing the movie is. Starting off with the main characters, the friendship between Mike and Sully is one of the most believable love stories in a Disney movie. You can see they are best friends, and this is portrayed really well throughout the movie they fight, they laugh, they love. It's all very believable because of the little interactions which are missing from most other movies. Sully also carries this over to Boo with the parental desire to protect her and get her home. It's an angle that isn't really explored with animated movies.

One of the things I really like this movie for is the visuals. It was the first movie I remember that was so large scale. Take the door warehouse room near the end of the movie. That place is huge and for early 2000 nothing like that had been done before. You can also tell even the background characters needed a lot of design compared to other Disney movies as every monster is unique. It was unique for the time, and is easily on par with movies released to this day.

The main reason I like this movie is because it flips the idea that monsters are bad guys. With Boo entering the monster world and scaring everyone so much that the city essentially goes into lock down it's interesting to see the contrast. Also she's adorable, which is another big factor.

Shauna: I still remember when Monsters, Inc first hit cinemas. I remember seeing the trailer and thinking it was a pretty cool concept, and I remember my Dad talking about he always comes up with stories that flip the traditional tales, quoting his improv Little Red Riding Hood where the wolf was the misunderstood good guy. We saw it as soon as we could at the cinema, and I loved it. It was one of the very first DVDs we owned, and I had solidly done and seen everything on that 2-disc special edition on more than one occasion. Suffice to say, when I was younger I was a pretty massive fan.

When it came to watching all the Disney/Pixar movies, it’s the ones that I remember responding to positively to such a degree that I worried about the most. What if it didn’t hit the heights that I remember it having? What if I not only did not love it as much, but I found something that I simply could not agree with?

Fortunately for my childhood, I still found it to hold up really well. Of course, some nostalgia affected my feelings on the matter, but really it’s just an excellently put together movie. The story is solid, and the characters are believable and loveable. They managed to make a small child who doesn’t actually use any real words not the most annoying thing to exist, which is quite a feat. The villains are threatening, with well played out motivations. Although, that all being said, Randall is just a petty jerk who needs to get over himself. I love the unique and interesting designs for all the monsters too, there are no two that look the same which gives Monstropolis a varied and vibrant feel.

The laughs still get me every time, and I will always love the “Put That Thing Back Where It Came From” skit during the credits. I suppose the most important thing though, is the emotional impact it leaves, which has come to be expected from Pixar in particular. It doesn’t have a massive emotional gut punch, but I still get teary when Sully has to say goodbye, and subsequently his smiling face on the final scene before the credits… Makes me reach for the tissues every time.

So yes, a solid film that I admittedly don’t love as much as I did when I first encountered it, but it will likely stay with me as one of my all-time favourite Disney Pixar movies, and that old DVD will definitely get plenty more action in the years to come.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

If Wall-E isn't at the top i call shenanigans
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries

If Bolt isnt somewhere on this list then you obviously hate puppies...and cats...and hamsters!
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles

Has there ever been a greater love story?