Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: EoFF Book Club

:monster:

Book two actually took like four years to come out after the first one, even though he was apparently done with it when the first book was published. He revised it after some of the criticism the first book received from some quarters, though.

I'd suggest The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin, which is probably one of the best books I've ever read

Le Guin's introduction to the 1976 publication of the book identifies Left Hand of Darkness as a "thought experiment" to explore society without men or women, where individuals share the biological and emotional makeup of both sexes.

The Left Hand of Darkness is set in the "Hainish" universe, which Le Guin introduced three years earlier in Rocannon's World, her first novel. The series describes the interplanetary expansion started by the first race of humanity on the planet Hain, leading to the formation of the League of All Worlds, and eventually expanding to the eighty-three world collective called the Ekumen.

This novel takes place many centuries in the future - no date is given, though the year 4870 has been suggested. An envoy, Genly Ai, is on a planet called Winter ("Gethen" in the language of its own people) to convince the citizens to join the Ekumen. Winter is, as its name indicates, a planet that is always cold, and its citizens are "ambisexual," spending the majority of time as asexual "potentials." They only adopt sexual attributes once-monthly, during a period of sexual receptiveness and high fertility, called kemmer, in which individuals can assume male or female attributes, depending on context and relationships. These conditions have affected the development of civilizations on Winter. Among other things, the planet has never known war.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Blog Entries

My sister has been raving about "The Goldfinch" lately

Just throwing that out there.

Shion- I love the Star Girl books. My sister got them for me in high school and like I always wanted to be like her.. She's such an awesome character.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Okay, so I wasn't going to recommend anything, but I guess I will since this has become the Let's Recommend Books thread.

First up, a book nobody's going to want to read. Why suggest it, then? Well, because I feel I should just in case there's someone out there who might decide to read it on their own.

Second up, one of my favorite authors, Morgan Llewelyn. My son's middle name came from this book:

Thirdly, another of my favorite authors, and one of my favorite books of all time. This is a must read:

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I have the name of the wind but haven't read it yet. So that'd be an easy one for me to grab.

Name of the wind is fantastic, I've read it. It's a bit lengthy in parts but overall a good book.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Our suggestions are all over the place. Maybe we should think of genres or themes for the months? Like a Fantasy month, a popular fiction month, a horror month, a supernatural month etc etc That may get people out of their normal reading comfort zone

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi Youkai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox_ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post

Free suggestion: Kingkiller Chronicles: starting with "The name of the Wind." Likely one of the best book series I've ever read.
    Yes, if Pat Rothfuss ever gets around to finishing book 3, that would be great! He and Brandon Sanderson are my favourite fantasy authors at the moment
    I know. He put books one and two out super fast, and then book three is just taking it's time. He recently put out a short story in the same universe though. Supposedly it's pretty good.
    Yeah, I have that book. It's nice, but I wouldn't buy it as hardcover. It's not very long. Good though.

Have you guys also read the new one from the Stormlight saga? Man, the book is like 1200 pages but so worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Our suggestions are all over the place. Maybe we should think of genres or themes for the months? Like a Fantasy month, a popular fiction month, a horror month, a supernatural month etc etc That may get people out of their normal reading comfort zone

I think this is the best course of action, it makes more sense.

Yeah, I have that book. It's nice, but I wouldn't buy it as hardcover. It's not very long. Good though.

Have you guys also read the new one from the Stormlight saga? Man, the book is like 1200 pages but so worth it.
    Part way through it as we speak. I tell ya, it is not the best size for reading on the train (I wish there was a part 1 and 2 like with the first one) but it's a fantastic story.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man
    Book two actually took like four years to come out after the first one, even though he was apparently done with it when the first book was published. He revised it after some of the criticism the first book received from some quarters, though.
    "Hmm, people didn't think there was enough emotional drama in book 1. Better spend 4 years adding Felurian..."
    Last edited by Fox; 12-08-2014 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Removing quotes. Dunno how to hide them

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Yes! Words of Radiance was awesome. It ended in a pretty amazing spot too, not to cliffhanger-y, but leaving you anxiously ready for the next book, which is probably still two or three years away, since he's still in the pre-writing stages.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi Youkai View Post

Yes! Words of Radiance was awesome. It ended in a pretty amazing spot too, not to cliffhanger-y, but leaving you anxiously ready for the next book, which is probably still two or three years away, since he's still in the pre-writing stages.
    Man, it sucks to hear that. I'll have probably reread that book 5 or 6 times by then.

Also, some other good series: Painted man/Warded man series, Lies of Locke Lamora series, Black company (this one you have to get into)

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

Love Monster by Rachel Bright
    Unknown.jpeg
    Seriously. There is more heart in these 32 pages of pure cuteness than any book of the last ten years.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think maybe we should start/split the thread to have a book recommendations thread that isn't for the book club. This thread is getting kind of messy because people are talking about books they're not suggesting for the club.

Not that I hate book suggestions, just that it might be nice to keep this tidy.
    Last edited by Jinx; 12-08-2014 at 11:25 PM. Reason: troutty grammar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    I think maybe we should start/split the thread to have a book recommendations thread that isn't for the book club. This thread is getting kind of messy because people are talking about books their not suggesting for the club.

Agreed, thinking the same thing.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    I think maybe we should start/split the thread to have a book recommendations thread that isn't for the book club. This thread is getting kind of messy because people are talking about books they're not suggesting for the club.

I legit have no idea where the suggestions for the club start/end. ._.