View Poll Results: Is your all time favorite game an FF game?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course!

22 45.83%
  • Um, no.

19 39.58%
  • It's a tie/I don't have a favorite game/other

7 14.58%
  • What are video games?

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is your all time favorite game a Final Fantasy game?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    Including visual novels however, it's a whole different story. Final Fantasy would barely make the Top 5, and depending on if I count sequels/franchises as one or not, it doesn't even make the Top 5 at all.
    That's not allowed. One does not simply exclude Final Fantasy.
    I might put an FF in my top ten, but it would be close.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World View Post
    No. Not even close.
    Yeah, I haven't particularly loved any FF game since SNES. The only RPGs that make my "favs" list are Zelda games.

It's really interesting that the community here is far from "OMG FINAL FANTASY IS TeH BESTEST!!1!" the way you tend to see if you venture into communities devoted to other games. Maybe I've just hit the wrong sites, but I ventured out to see what forums for Megami Tensei and Tales of series were like. And I came from a Shining Force community. And they are all extremely elitist and closed-minded from my experience and kinda missing out on some of the best parts of gaming culture as a whole

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, it was similar when I visited a Pokemon forum.

Guess our series just isn't good enough for us to stick to it like that

Humbled by one or two garbage releases.. lol That must make the Sonic the Hedgehog community a really awesome and welcoming bunch of people

Articles
    Blog Entries

Final Fantasy iz teh best series evar.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Humbled by one or two garbage releases.. lol That must make the Sonic the Hedgehog community a really awesome and welcoming bunch of people
    Sonic has a fanbase?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

On some days, FFVIII is my favorite game. It was what got me into RPGs, and it's the game I feel like replaying the most. For the most part, it's not my favorite game though.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's really interesting that the community here is far from "OMG FINAL FANTASY IS TeH BESTEST!!1!" the way you tend to see if you venture into communities devoted to other games. Maybe I've just hit the wrong sites, but I ventured out to see what forums for Megami Tensei and Tales of series were like. And I came from a Shining Force community. And they are all extremely elitist and closed-minded from my experience and kinda missing out on some of the best parts of gaming culture as a whole
    I think it helps that FF's popularity has been around longer hitting a few generations during their most impressionable age and the fact the series can be separated easily into different eras. The MegaTen fanbase for instance really reminds me of the FF fanbase in the PS1 days with old school Persona fans whining about how P3 and P4 changed too much of the formula and made the series too popular with anime nerds who can't appreciate the series because they can't get into the less forgiving old school mechanics; or SMT fans who argue the franchise pretty much started on the PS2 which is the Golden Age and everything before was crap due it not being good enough for console release when that is actually a narrow elitist view about a franchise that has had a tumultuous history that involves problems concerning money and cultural value. I think it's the reason why I don't hang out in the forums of these sites too much because it's reminding of the old days when the FF community in-fighting was at its worst.

Tales and MegaTen only came to prominence in the fan community during the PS2/GameCube era whereas FF has had a community since the SNES era at least. I feel as a community we've all seen how each FF era brings in new fans and we don't really resist as much anymore, not to mention many of us are old enough now to take a more critical glance at our beloved games and see them for what they were: fun but flawed. I was surprised when I viewed a thread about FFVII in the Lifestream forum and found many of the forum being pretty critical of the game though in an endearing way instead of the typical "IT's TeH Besstsss GAEM EVAH!!!" that one would expect for a forum solely dedicated to one game. I feel the oldest FF fans have simply moved on and realized SE has moved the franchise too far to ever make a game to appease them and they have accepted that fact, I feel the early PS1 generation still longs for the series to move back to what they feel the roots are, but are slowly coming around to the older fans opinion. The newer generations are baffled why we even still discuss this stuff because the newer games are what brought them there in the first place so they don't see a problem.

Basically we're too old for this crap anymore and its only the younger generations that care. The older fans will still whine from time to time but it's half-hearted at best because they know it's all for naught.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    Sonic has a fanbase?
    Yes, it's called DeviantArt.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    The MegaTen fanbase for instance really reminds me of the FF fanbase in the PS1 days with old school Persona fans whining about how P3 and P4 changed too much of the formula and made the series too popular with anime nerds who can't appreciate the series because they can't get into the less forgiving old school mechanics; or SMT fans who argue the franchise pretty much started on the PS2 which is the Golden Age and everything before was crap due it not being good enough for console release when that is actually a narrow elitist view about a franchise that has had a tumultuous history that involves problems concerning money and cultural value.
    This sentence is almost 7 lines long...

But overall I agree with the post.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    The MegaTen fanbase for instance really reminds me of the FF fanbase in the PS1 days with old school Persona fans whining about how P3 and P4 changed too much of the formula and made the series too popular with anime nerds who can't appreciate the series because they can't get into the less forgiving old school mechanics; or SMT fans who argue the franchise pretty much started on the PS2 which is the Golden Age and everything before was crap due it not being good enough for console release when that is actually a narrow elitist view about a franchise that has had a tumultuous history that involves problems concerning money and cultural value.
    This sentence is almost 7 lines long...

But overall I agree with the post.
    Hey, I'm just keeping the authenticity of their post style.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    Sonic has a fanbase?
    Sonic has a fanbase. They're the people with the biggest motive to burn Sega to the ground.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Sonic has a fanbase?
    Sonic has a fanbase. They're the people with the biggest motive to burn Sega to the ground.[/QUOTE]

More accurately, they're the ones who get stuck right into this:

Yes, FFIX is my favorite video game. Quick question though, why does the fourth option exist?
    This signature reeks of Moogle.