Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Life is Strange almost had Male Protagonists

Jimquisition made two or three good videos on this topic (thanks Psychotic), and even chided that if you're a guy, and the only things you want to play have big muscular beefy sweaty meat-clods on the cover, and you get to spend the entire game looking at their ass the whole time... Well... The viewers knew what he was getting at. They may be hiding or denying something if they're THAT against playing as a female. Methinks thou dost protest too much, yo

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I remember that time i vomited all over my keyboard because my shepard had sex with that beefcake down in the hangar.

I actually wanted to friendzone him but he would have none of that trout
    Uh that's because you should have went for Liara because she was the only one who bothered to keep looking for you after you died. True luv obviously. Plus Kaiden is boring and Ashley is a racist. Liara ftw! Or are you talking about the black beefcake? There were so many beefcakes so I dunno.

*ahem* anyway I digress, I don't think men have an issue playing women as seen by the success of the Tomb Raider series and the reboot. Beyond Two Souls also did well.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2..._computers.png

This guy

And I was actually not being serious. I went for Liara when possible. I don't remember who i actually went for in ME3
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries

Haha, I just bought Remember Me today, too. I'll be getting this.

And yeah, Japanese developers (especially Capcom and Square!) are fine with having female protagonists, but I don't understand why other companies are so against them, since games like Tomb Raider make money hand over fist.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

This sounds really good! It's too bad that the soundtrack will feature a bunch of indie b*tches on acoustic guitar, lyricing morose, self-indulgent and tuneless "melody".

Quote Originally Posted by Lockharted View Post
    I read elsewhere that they didn't want a female protagonist because males wouldn't want to see their character kiss a male.

“We had some [publishers] that said, ‘Well, we don’t want to publish it because that’s not going to succeed. You can’t have a female character in games. It has to be a male character, simple as that.’” Moris also said of that game that the lead character’s gender “just felt right from the beginning of development,” and that changing it for marketing purposes would have “endangered the consistency of the whole game.” Apparently with Remember Me, people took issue with male gamers playing a female character who kisses a male character. “We had people tell us, ‘You can’t make a dude like the player kiss another dude in the game, that’s going to feel awkward,’” said Moris.
    lol at these "publishers", this is just nonsense. I'm a guy an in games that give the choice, I very much always play a female character. In Mass Effect and Skyrim, for example, my female characters even got into relationships with people from both genders. I honestly have no problem whatsoever with that. So in my view the logic of these publishers is completely bogus.

I wonder what happened. Sometime between mid 90s and 2000-something, game developers loved putting women in their games, even shoe-horning them in if need be. Tomb Raider proved be insanely popular. All the boys were playing that game. It was actually a good way to make money. The Aeon Flux, Bloodrayne, Oni, Ghost in the Shell games that were all sub-par would not have survived if they had male leads. They barely survived having female leads. Making a game with a female protagonist used to ensure you'd sell a few more copies. Now developers and publishers think it ensures you sell LESS copies? When did this even happen? It's obviously just an illusion the publishers tell themselves. But I'm genuinely curious why and how they came to that conclusion

FFXIV Character

So, anyone got an opinion on Episode One yet? I completed it this afternoon.

I quite like the story, but it is hardly fleshed out in the first episode. It's definitely more interactive movie than 'graphic adventure'. There's virtually no backtracking unless the story leads you back to the area as part of natural progression, and a virtually non-existant puzzle and inventory system. I'm leaving my opinions about the rewind mechanic until I have completed the story in its entirity since it leans so heavily as part of the narrative.

A question for anyone who has played episodic games before; what's the economic incentive for releasing them in such a way? It seems a bit of a waste of time since the playtime of each episode is miniscule. I literately finished this in just under two hours, and a little under four after reading all the literature on the characters, experimenting with alternative choices and collecting all the photos. Releasing once a week, I could understand, if they wished to simulate some sort of television serial - but six weeks between each episode, when each episode has such a limited range of content and storyline... I'm confused. Ha!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Oh yeah, I got this. Gonna have a go later on, I think.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Leigh, I haven't played this one yet (still at work!) but as for episodic games in general, i've played a few. The games themselves don't usually allow you to go back to areas, that's normal for the genre, unless something else important happens there. They play like interactive stories, shows really. By being episodic, they let themselves, as developers, get things out to their fans quicker rather than wait until the whole game is completely polished. It also lets them set up climaxes and have that whole cliffhanger want that tv shows leave you with. Have you ever binge watched a tv show? Seeing it back to back, the story isn't as obsessively compelling. If you watch it live where you have to wait a week before the new episodes, you become more invested as you have to wait! You think about it all week and you neeeeeeed to know. Same kinda premise, I think. Also it allows players to just try out part of a game before fully investing. Pay 4.99 for a game you may not like or pay 29.99 for a game you may not like.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Leigh, I haven't played this one yet (still at work!) but as for episodic games in general, i've played a few. The games themselves don't usually allow you to go back to areas, that's normal for the genre, unless something else important happens there. They play like interactive stories, shows really. By being episodic, they let themselves, as developers, get things out to their fans quicker rather than wait until the whole game is completely polished. It also lets them set up climaxes and have that whole cliffhanger want that tv shows leave you with. Have you ever binge watched a tv show? Seeing it back to back, the story isn't as obsessively compelling. If you watch it live where you have to wait a week before the new episodes, you become more invested as you have to wait! You think about it all week and you neeeeeeed to know. Same kinda premise, I think. Also it allows players to just try out part of a game before fully investing. Pay 4.99 for a game you may not like or pay 29.99 for a game you may not like.
    I think I understand.

I suppose I have never really done the whole week waiting for a television show really. I tend to have to binge a tv series by waiting a couple of years for it to finish, then I'll check it out! Ha - otherwise I just lose interest. Either i'm not a patient person, or I just simply can't sustain the same content over a long period of my life. I prefer to get things over and done with. Haha!

Articles
    Blog Entries

It's out already?

These games are coming out way too fast for me. I'm old, guys. I think it may be time to retire.

I'm with Leigh, waiting between episodes is more annoying to me than waiting out the whole thing and enjoying it at my leisure. I always binge on shows I enjoy, because I would lose interest in the interim. I figure if I'm going to enjoy it, I'll give it the best chance to succeed with me. I waited on The Walking Deads and The Wolf Among Us. I'll be waiting on this, and there is one other episodic game out there that captured my interest. Hopefully it holds up and I'll be waiting on that one too. Telltale has started something >.> Oh, and Borderlands and Game of Thrones of course. Ugh

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2..._computers.png

This guy

And I was actually not being serious. I went for Liara when possible. I don't remember who i actually went for in ME3
    I thought James Varga was gay or was that just wishful thinking?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

nah he tried real hard to get in my pants

it was like one single mis-step in the conversation tree and he was all over me
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?