Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Now that it's been 12 years... what are your thoughts on FFX-2?

Thinking back on all of the Final Fantasy games I've played, this is possibly the only one I'd be able to play in 2015 and actually enjoy the experience. I've unfortunately come to find that RPGs are mostly a thing of the past for me. It's a combination of not having enough free time and not being able to stomach the cliche stories while actual gameplay consists of little more than tapping one button over and over and over again. Not trying to trout on RPGs...I wish I could still enjoy them like I used to, but I just can't.

From what I remember of FFX-2, though, the battles were an absolute blast . And the campy story would probably be more entertaining than the same ol' ragtag-group-of-adventurers-saves-the-world BS. Maybe I'll give it a second playthrough sometime soon.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    Thinking back on all of the Final Fantasy games I've played, this is possibly the only one I'd be able to play in 2015 and actually enjoy the experience. I've unfortunately come to find that RPGs are mostly a thing of the past for me. It's a combination of not having enough free time and not being able to stomach the cliche stories while actual gameplay consists of little more than tapping one button over and over and over again. Not trying to trout on RPGs...I wish I could still enjoy them like I used to, but I just can't.

From what I remember of FFX-2, though, the battles were an absolute blast . And the campy story would probably be more entertaining than the same ol' ragtag-group-of-adventurers-saves-the-world BS. Maybe I'll give it a second playthrough sometime soon.
    What bothers you doesn't necessarily pertain to all RPGs, just FF there's actually tons of RPGs with really well-written, not teen-oriented stories and exciting battle systems.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    I'm fine w/ Shauna playing & you back seat driving. LOL if she does better than you.
    Sorry to disappoint.

Still holding out that Psycho can make a trip up there & do a crossover before you reach the end of this one.
    Sorry to disappoint.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I still hold the same opinion. Dumb story, 2nd best battle system out of the entire series.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I feel the same about it now than I did 12 years ago, mostly. Battle system was very fun, but everything else was just alright or weird. Not a terrible game, but not a great one.

Blog Entries

I wish people would stop making me feel old 12 years?! Sheesh. So what I still remember as a "new era" game, to most of the younger folk, is retro...

Thoroughly enjoyed it. The whole 100% thing was a bit OTT, but I've happily replayed it just to level up the other jobs. And yeah, loved the job (er I mean dress sphere) system. I did want a happy miracle ending for once, blow it, I'm like the Doctor was that one time "just this once... everybody lives!"

I could write massive textwalls (and have done) on how much "1000 Words" means to me and the moment surrounding it. But tl;dr version instead a) dedicated it to my late grandfather and b) it exemplifies my attitude towards people of different ideas and beliefs, theists and atheists etc etc, and how they should treat each other - not how they were doing before the song, but how they were after it.

Oh and at the time I was like "k this is girly... but that's not so bad... I think I'm ok with it..." - clearly setting the tone for things later in life

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I can poo so much better after playing it.

And there aren't any worms crawling out of my poo too!

Blog Entries

Seems fair to say based on related vids that guy in the video reallllllly doesn't like it

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
    Seems fair to say based on related vids that guy in the video reallllllly doesn't like it
    that guy
    That guy? Have you not heard of Spoony? How is this possible, that you are a member of our community, and you don't know Spoony? We have failed you, and I am sorry. Google up The Spoony Experiment, and watch his Final Fantasy reviews. They're great. So are his Counter Monkeys. Most of his stuff made after 2014, on the other hand, is a little lacking.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Depends. I like Spoony, but I find his reviews really really nitpicky, which is a little bit offputting for me. Like, he'll complain about something that makes sense in the wider story, and I'm just like "Really?". Some of his things are completely on-point, though.

I love Spoony but me and him disagree on a lot of things, namely the quality of FFX and X-2. Then again, he personally recommended FFXII to me and that game is awesome so he's a smart fella.

I just always loved that particular part of his review because that Rikku scene has ALWAYS been weird to me. It weirded me out for years, long before he made that review.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Great gameplay, unremarkable story.

Apart from FF11, it is the final fantasy game i have dumped by far the most hours into. My last PS2 save had.... 5 or 6 iron dukes. It had an excellent ATB implementation, and I am a real sucker for job systems.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Amazing gameplay and story. I was a disappointed that while Tidus is the reason as to why Yuna started her mission, he wasn't really seen anywhere in the game, but it's a good game nevertheless. They did skimp out on the voiced dialogues though, even Rin has his own repeatable dialogs in FFX.

I do loved the performances in the game. Especially 1000 Words.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FFIX Choco Boy View Post
    that guy
    That guy? Have you not heard of Spoony? How is this possible, that you are a member of our community, and you don't know Spoony? We have failed you, and I am sorry. Google up The Spoony Experiment, and watch his Final Fantasy reviews. They're great. So are his Counter Monkeys. Most of his stuff made after 2014, on the other hand, is a little lacking.
    If it's not obvious from the fact I have a registration date in 2001 and only just over 1700 posts, I'm a fairly casual member of the community

I did get a laugh from watching his X-2 review. But it's odd as I have a love/hate relationship with this kind of thing. I don't really like things being picked apart as I can usually enjoy them on their own merits without overanalysing them and it can actually ruin the enjoyment for me having all the flaws highlighted - but this Spoony guy is rather hilarious with it.