Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid moments in films

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Stupid moments in films

So I went for a swim this morning and my thoughts strayed to that scene in Hackers where Angelina Jolie tells Johnny Lee Miller there is an olympic-size swimming pool on the roof of their school. She was lying (the crafty minx) and when he emerges on the roof, the door slams shut behind him and doesn't open from the outside.

There were five or six students already out on the roof and you're telling me that not one of them thought "Oh, I'll wait by the door in case someone else comes through". Nope! They all just stand at the wall of the roof like goons admiring the New York skyline. The first guy who fell foul of this jape has watched six other students come through that door. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU, YOU DUMB SMURF!

Pic 1.jpg

So, let's share idiotic moments in film.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I WILL NOT HEAR YOU SAY ONE SINGLE BAD THING ABOUT HACKERS, IT IS A WORK OF SUBLIME BRILLIANCE.

That said, the part in Guardians of the Galaxy where Quill just floats around alive in space for several minutes. I get that he's only half-human but come on. (Not to slight this film btw, GotG is one of my all time faves.)

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I've been rewatching the Red Letter Media Plinkett reviews lately. This section of this Star Wars Episode II review always cracked me up because it highlights how screwed up the set up for Anakin and Padme's romance is. If you never seen this guy's stuff before, don't get put off by the voice. The review is played by a character that is supposed to be a creepy old man. I will post my own ones later.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I WILL NOT HEAR YOU SAY ONE SINGLE BAD THING ABOUT HACKERS, IT IS A WORK OF SUBLIME BRILLIANCE.

That said, the part in Guardians of the Galaxy where Quill just floats around alive in space for several minutes. I get that he's only half-human but come on. (Not to slight this film btw, GotG is one of my all time faves.)
    Sup. Humans can survive in space for a few minutes. That bit's pretty good.

Then he gets air and is suddenly completely fine again. What? No.

Speaking of Guardians; a mask that covers your face somehow leaves you invulnerable to the ravages of vacuum? Nope. Nope nope nope. Stop it.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post

Sup. Humans can survive in space for a few minutes. That bit's pretty good.

Then he gets air and is suddenly completely fine again. What? No.

Speaking of Guardians; a mask that covers your face somehow leaves you invulnerable to the ravages of vacuum? Nope. Nope nope nope. Stop it.
    I think we'll have to chalk up that getting better part to being half human (hell, if it let's him hold the infinity gem then why not, let's run with the alien physiology thing).

But yes, humans can survive for some time in a vacuum. In fact, the least believable part of him removing his helmet was that he froze. My understanding is it wouldn't actually happen for quite some time contrary to popular belief because without a substantive atmosphere to draw away heat (kinetic energy) he's basically only losing body heat as infrared radiation. He'd probably die from the sudden drop in pressure combined with the lack of oxygen long before he froze.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I actually already knew all that you guys are telling me. Mostly I think it's cheesy as smurf.

Articles
    Blog Entries

This.

I really can't stand things that break my suspension of disbelief totally, like people falling 20-50 feet and just standing up and sprinting away totally unharmed. The last movie I watched was one of the Hobbit movies, and the entire pack of Dwarves fell probably 300 feet down a stone shaft and were crushed from above by falling debris and no one even seemed remotely impacted.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My grandad got wasted whilst in China for some reason or another, fell 40 feet onto concrete. Got up, walked off. Quite bruised, but otherwise fine.

I think 300 feet would be a bit ambitious, no matter how jellylike your body is.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    I really can't stand things that break my suspension of disbelief totally, like people falling 20-50 feet and just standing up and sprinting away totally unharmed. The last movie I watched was one of the Hobbit movies, and the entire pack of Dwarves fell probably 300 feet down a stone shaft and were crushed from above by falling debris and no one even seemed remotely impacted.
    Middle-earth physics

The entire film 'Pompeii'. Waste of bloody time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    dwarf stuff
    nobody crushes a dwarf

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MissH View Post

I enjoyed it. Wish the couple had more on screen time to make their relationship believable but I suppose it was meant to be "Romeo and Juliet"-esque. The imagery was definitely amazing.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MissH View Post

I enjoyed it. Wish the couple had more on screen time to make their relationship believable but I suppose it was meant to be "Romeo and Juliet"-esque. The imagery was definitely amazing.
    MissH and I really don't have the same taste in films... I agree with her on this though. Adewale Unspellable-Surname was very good in it but I couldn't get on with anything else. The script was awful, Kiefer Sutherland should not have been there, Kit Harrington was just Jon Snow with a slightly posher accent, too similar to Gladiator but done much more poorly.

Special effects were decent but it's annoying they were done specifically for 3-D. Certain shots you could tell it was made with that in mind. The Hobbit was bad for this too with arrows flying at the screen. 3-D needs to die a death.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

That soldier in Man of Steel smiling awkwardly and saying that Superman is hot and that unnecessary kiss in Thor the Dark World.