Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91314151617181920212223242529 ... LastLast

Thread: Pumpkin's Top Games of All Time Ever

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I cannot believe how expensive these games are. Particularly because each individual title is only like 8 hours long (I've only played one but I've looked into the rest of them in terms of gameplay length).

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default 49. A Tale of Two Towns

49. Harvest Moon: A Tale of Two Towns (PSP)
    B6kkfYT.jpg

In this game, you play a farmer who has a choice of moving to one of two villages. One will focus more on raising livestock while the other will focus more on growing crops. You also have to try and restore the friendship of the two towns by participating in the weeklyish cooking contests for some reason. As usual in a Harvest Moon game, you can get married as well.

This plays like most Harvest Moon games. You take care of crops and livestock. Time passes at about 1 minute per second and the villagers have their own schedule. There are 4 months representing the 4 seasons, which affects things like which crops can be grown. You can get married of course. This game also places emphasis on the cooking contest every week or so, where the villages will go up against each other in a themed cooking contest.

3rvo7UW.jpg
    Yes, that man is dressed like a panda

This is my favourite Harvest Moon game. I feel like it's become easier to play, it fixed a lot of the previous issues, and it's a lot of fun! There were quite a few characters I liked which adds replay value for the marriage part. The downside is that heart events are random, which can be rather frustrating. But other than that, it's probably the most intuitive that I've played, they teach you how to do things well, and it's very fun!

Favourite character: Laney B2OvmQQ.png
    Honourable mentions: Georgia, Nori qV1tLf2.pngznOVB48.png

Laney is a really sweet and caring woman who I always enjoyed talking to. She's also very easy to get gifts for because you can find stuff for her outside for free. Georgia is pretty and kind and Nori is a nice, motherly type. It is a Harvest Moon game though, so they're all abnormally nice.

Well we're about halfway done my list now, so tomorrow I will have a special thingy! It will only be one post, and I know I've been going fast so it'll give people a chance to catch up on my first half. So look forward to that!

I hope everyone is having fun

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    ...I picked it up and for the first few days I could not put it down. My 2DS was constantly on the charger because I was draining the battery like a crazy person. I was so interested, so excited. But I noticed that the further in I got, the more my interest waned.
    This description applies to every handheld game Square-Enix has ever released. ​They're so good at making them addictive, and so bad at fleshing them out and keeping them interesting.

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by metagloria View Post
    ...I picked it up and for the first few days I could not put it down. My 2DS was constantly on the charger because I was draining the battery like a crazy person. I was so interested, so excited. But I noticed that the further in I got, the more my interest waned.
    This description applies to every handheld game Square-Enix has ever released. ​They're so good at making them addictive, and so bad at fleshing them out and keeping them interesting.
    Interesting. Do you have some other examples? I'm curious now

Well more or less, like I said, you can throw pretty much any Square-Enix handheld game in there...

• Dissidia: hey neat an FF fighting game! (40 hours later) meh. Am I done yet?
    • Theatrhythm: hey neat an FF rhythm game! (40 hours later) meh. Am I done yet?
    • Revenant Wings: hey neat an FF strategy game! (40 hours later) meh. Am I done yet?
    • Dragon Quest IX: hey neat a handheld Dragon Quest flagship title! (160 hours later) ...okay this is getting ridiculous, I should stop running grottos while sitting in front of the RNG calculator
    • FF 4 Heroes of Light: hey neat a throwback game with an old-school job system! (40 hours later) meh. Am I done yet?
    • Bravely Default: as you described
    • even Crisis Core, as great as it was, the later missions became a slog because there was no variety.

That's the keyword...variety. At some point, every handheld title just begins to pad itself with repetition, whether in broad swaths (Bravely Default's chapters) or small ones (Theatrhythm's small song collection, RW's battles).

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!

Well more or less, like I said, you can throw pretty much any Square-Enix handheld game in there...

• Dissidia: hey neat an FF fighting game! (40 hours later) meh. Am I done yet?
    • Theatrhythm: hey neat an FF rhythm game! (40 hours later) meh. Am I done yet?
    • Revenant Wings: hey neat an FF strategy game! (40 hours later) meh. Am I done yet?
    • Dragon Quest IX: hey neat a handheld Dragon Quest flagship title! (160 hours later) ...okay this is getting ridiculous, I should stop running grottos while sitting in front of the RNG calculator
    • FF 4 Heroes of Light: hey neat a throwback game with an old-school job system! (40 hours later) meh. Am I done yet?
    • Bravely Default: as you described
    • even Crisis Core, as great as it was, the later missions became a slog because there was no variety.

That's the keyword...variety. At some point, every handheld title just begins to pad itself with repetition, whether in broad swaths (Bravely Default's chapters) or small ones (Theatrhythm's small song collection, RW's battles).
    You forgot the best.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY EVERYONE

Here's my special post of the day. Remember how *someone* here wanted me to compromise my list by finding 3 more games I didn't feel deserved to be on the list on to the list? Well good news, since I started posting it about 2 weeks ago, I have actually played 3 more games I would add to the list, yay!

I'm not going to bother numbering them because while 2 of them would be at the end of the list, one of them would have made it about 10 spots up and I don't feel like reordering stuff.

So here are some mini-reviews of those three games!

Wedding Designer (Nintendo DS)

SEojU0p.jpg
    This is a cute little game where you plan some weddings for some women. You choose out her dress, makeup, bouquet, venue, music, invitations, other stuff, and for some reason bedroom and look of the groom. That's right, as all powerful wedding planner, you can change the groom from a black man to an asian man if you so choose because why not. The game is pretty simple, it's incredibly hard to make a mistake since the bride will frown at any selections you make that she doesn't like, so you just kind of... don't pick those. And then you get on with the wedding and take some photos before moving on the the next client! It's fun and cute, but a little bit short. Could do with a more fleshed out sequel

Just Dance (Nintendo Wii)
    jppOasz.jpg
    I have a lot of fun playing this, and best of all, it's a very good workout. It's a shame it'll all be undone with Valentine's Day sweets. Anyways, I have the first and second one. The first one I really like. It has some fun dances and some cheesy songs and a few songs I like. It's a bit difficult but I enjoy it. The second one I don't like as much. It's more forgiving but I don't find it as fun and I don't like the song selection as much

Style Savvy (Nintendo DS)
    sBuFiks.jpg
    I tried this game because a lot of people who like another game coming soon on my list recommend this one. And I tell ya, I can not get enough of it. You basically own your own clothing store. So you go to the buyer's center, buy clothing from all different designers (they aren't all available all the time) and then it'll go to your storage where you sell it to customers. In your store, you click on the customer to serve and you'll get a small description and then they'll ask you for something in particular. Sometimes it's a whole outfit. Then you have to try and find something they like based on their style. You get to show them 3 outfits consequence free and the fourth time you have to make them try on clothes. If they don't like what you pick out by the fourth time, you'll lose the sale. But they'll be back so it doesn't matter much. If they like what you pick, they'll buy it. You can also design mannequins and some people will come in and buy the whole display set. You also get to pick from different store designs and music, which you can change anytime. Of course you can change the looks of your avatar character as well. There's also fashion shows but I don't like those much to be honest. Anyways, it's a ton of fun for someone like me who loves dress up games and I'm hoping to try the newer 3DS version soon!

And those are my 3 games that could have made the cut had I played them sooner! That'll be all the updates today and tomorrow we will resume with the top half of my list!

What can we expect? Well, more Final Fantasy games, obviously. I said I have 14 on my list and I've only posted 4 so far. Also more Zeldas, more Xenos, more Tales, and more Suikodens. Some other series. Some stand alone games. MORE GAMES MUCH EXCITE

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Very interesting list, Pumpkin. A whole lot of games I never played. Was kinda surprised by some of the games & not @ all surprised by others. Never took you for a Fighting game fan. Can't wait to see the rest!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default 48. Tekken 6

Let's start the list back up with the last Tekken game

48. Tekken 6 (PlayStation 3)
    gWblXQR.jpg

Same as the other Tekkens. It's a fighting tournament. You fight your opponents. Desirable outcome being that you win.

This plays like other Tekken games. Triangle, Square, O, and X all correspond to different limbs. You can do combos and stuff. This game also has a story mode that I can't remember what it's called, but you go from level to level beating bad guys until you generally get to a boss and beat him/her up. There are a lot of levels and the dialogue will vary from one character to the next. You can also customize your character with game monies you earn, or by using the characters and collecting treasure chests in the previous game mode I mentioned. There are several other modes like Team Attack and Survival that are present in most Tekken games.

This is my favourite Tekken game! It brought in my new favourite Tekken character, I loved the customization and the outfit selections and choices, it had a large cast, the graphics were good, I liked the story type mode and seeing the differences in dialogue and stuff, and overall it was just so much fun! It has it's faults of course, but most of the stuff I hear about I've never had a problem with because I play against the game on Easy mode so even though I don't know what I'm doing, I still do really well! Overall just so much fun.

Favourite character: Lili nlDjoSb.jpg
    Honourable mentions: Xiaoyu, Anna 8eeDcYX.jpgZDilVAT.jpg

I love Lili's fighting style and just her style in general. I had so many outfits for her that I loved. She seems like kind of a snob though. But I'm pretty good at using her. Xiaoyu and Anna still on the list, still fun to use.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default 47. Suikoden

47. Suikoden (PlayStation)
    Lj4Sbr7.png

Suikoden is the story of a young boy from the empire, son of the renowned General Teo. One day, his best friend Ted comes to him and reveals a secret about a certain True Rune he possesses. One thing leads to another and eventually the young man is leading his own rebel army.

This game plays like most Suikoden games (shocking). You go around trying to recruit the 108 Stars of Destiny. The battle parties are made up of six characters, and magic takes the form of Runes. There are also many mini-games to be played around your headquarters depending on who you recruit. There are also duels and army type battles, both of which are sort of rock-paper-scissor type events. Losing units in the army type battles can result in their permanent death, making them unusable for the rest of the game. There are 78 total playable characters in battle, including guests and non-stars of destiny.

r67jlGc.jpg
    She's nice

General impressions:
    I think this was the third Suikoden game I played. I really like it, it was a lot of fun. The characters as interesting, the story is interesting. The gameplay is certainly less refined than the later entries but it is still very Suikoden. Also, Toran (the default HQ name) is the name I always use now when needing to name a town or building or farm or whatever in other games. Including other Suikoden games. The biggest frustration I had was the big rock-paper-scissors army battles where I would have characters die and have to start the fights all over again. Other than that very fun and has some good scenes in there to help you with some backstory for the rest of the series.

Story:
    A strong point. They managed to make it very touching, especially in the beginning with (SPOILER)Ted and needing to run away. Then there was of course (SPOILER) Odessa's death and getting the new headquarters. It's paced very well and really well told. You can really feel the desperation and the sadness of everything happening to the hero pretty much at once. And the game gets more positive as it goes on, really making you feel like you're making a difference and that you're starting to win the war. But going back to face the emperor at the end is still very sad and touching and really hits home with how far you've come since everything started. Not the best story in the series, but very strong and interesting.

Gameplay:
    It's less refined than the later entries, which wasn't too surprising, but it's still a basic Suikoden game and if you like the way Suikoden games play then you'll like this one too. Recruiting the Stars of Destiny in this one is challenging, but not impossible, and there's some fun mini-games to keep you occupied.

World:
    Strong world with a lot of memorable locations. Almost every area has a history and a feel to it, which might be helped by the large cast of characters and the fact that they come from these places. There's good variety and it actually feels big and vast, even though it's only one section of the whole Suikoden world.

Characters:
    Not the strongest in the series because things were still getting started, but a lot of good and interesting ones. Also good for fans of Leknaat because she probably has the most going on in this game. She's not just the woman who gives you your tablet, you can actually go to her home, see her with Luc, learn about her Rune and her sister. Also there's obviously a lot of series classics that debut here, like Flik and Viktor and Futch for example. Also with such a large cast, it's good to see a variety of unexpected character types, like Gremio.

Favourite character: Viktor 5r1clOi.gif
    Honourable mentions: Lotte, Viki, Hix h6vPrYu.gifPJVGObb.gifI9nzlnd.gif

Viktor is a big awesome bear man with a secret heart of gold and a foul-mouthed sword. Lotte is the adorable cat girl, Viki is the ditz who can teleport you (insanely useful) and Hix is kind of dumb but also the sweetest thing in the world.

Overall it isn't the strongest in the series, but it's certainly a great game worthy of the time to put in to it. Especially if you're a fan of the later games, you can see the origins of a lot of stuff mentioned later on.

Suikoden is the only game in the series I've played. And, while it was enjoyable, it didn't earn a spot on my top 108. Once I got the one guy with the super powerful stick attack (looking it up...Kai), the rest of the game was a breeze as far as difficulty. But I remember some of the missions and areas being interesting, and the HQ-building was fun. I'll have to wait and see which Suikoden gets the highest spot on your list and think about adding it to my giant queue.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default 46. Record of Agarest War Zero

46. Record of Agarest War Zero (PlayStation 3)
    9qGclcI.jpg

Record of Agarest War Zero follows our hero Sieghart during a time of war when basically you're trying to save the world from evil. During that time he tries to save a young girl named Mimel, dies in the process, and is then revived. This game spans two generations and has many playable characters.

This game is a rather complex strategy RPG game. It involves linking characters and AP points. Each character has extended squares that it can link to, and if a character is placed in one of those squares, the characters will be linked. Linking characters allows them to perform on the same turn. So if you have all six party characters linked, they can all attack on the first characters turn instead of waiting for their turn. It's a bit more complicated, but that's the gist. This game also has a dating sim aspect, and the hero of generation 2 will be the result of whoever you end up with in the first generation out of three possible bachelorettes. The second generation hero can be matched with any remaining party member. Relationships can be improved through dialogue choices or through vacation days by chatting with the characters.

General impressions:
    This was my firs Agarest War game and what got me in to the series. I like dating sims and I like dialogue choices and this has both! It also has a political story that for once I didn't have trouble following and I liked the dialogue for the most part. It's characters seem pretty stereotypical, and in some cases are, but I was happy to see most of them had some depth. It also had a good sense of humour to it. There were only 2 generations in this game, which on the one hand was good because you had more time to decide on your future bride, but on the other I would have liked it to have more than that. The worst things about this game are the difficulty, the sheer amount of battles you need to fight, and the fanservice. But on the brightside, it wasn't nearly as fanservicy as I was led to believe, although it is very much there.

Story:
    A good story, but not the best video game story by any means. It was good for me because I'm terrible at political dramas, but this one was clear and easy to follow, which I really appreciated. It's a very character driven story, which is something I'm also fond of. Overall it was enjoyable and I liked it, but it wasn't anything special.

Gameplay:
    Worst thing about this game for me. So many fights. SO MANY FIGHTS. Just to get like 5 minutes of scenes. And I played the game for the scenes. Add that to the fact that I suck at strategy games and there was no easy mode. Each fight would take me like a half hour and you usually have to do 3 or 4 just to get to the 5-10 minute story event. There was an auto battle but you needed to fight enemies weaker than you, so it was for the most part useless. Also bosses WILL kill you. It's kind of designed in to the game unless you're massively overleveled, and death only gives you a point boost for your special attacks. This game is not easy to just get stronger than the enemy, you need to actually know what you're doing.

World:
    Not good. You travel to dots on the map. The battle backgrounds and town backgrounds get very repetitive. On the plus side, it has vacation days that let you explore, but not really. Not good for those who want an open world to explore.

Characters:
    One of my favourite things. I like dating sim elements and having the hero be based off of your previous coupling. The characters seem pretty shallow but most of them surprised me with some added depth to them, which was great. I loved the interactions and I loved seeing how my dialogue choices would affect the relationship ratings.

Favourite character: Alice Lt7h7V1.jpg
    Honourable mention: Routier, Sayane kqOtIJS.jpgBZVGwyH.jpg

What I like about Alice is she's just a good, normal person. No exaggerated personality. She cares about her friends, she works hard, she makes jokes, but it's never in your face or shoved down your throat. Plus she has a demi-God demon crab-man servant and that's something special. And her battle shuffle is adorable. Routier is just a sweetheart. I expected to be annoyed with Sayane because it seemed they were trying to hard to make her perfect (look, she's beautiful, smart, kind, and funny!) but she wasn't overbearing in the least and was actually beautiful and smart and funny and kind. Pretty impressed with the cast overall.

This game has long, complicated, difficult gameplay, and too much fanservice, but it's worth it for the story and the characters. Very much enjoyed, I just wish it was easier.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Tekken 5 and 6 were pretty solid entries. I really enjoyed them, but I'm not a fan of the prevalence of the bound system.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default 45. Legend of Mana

45. Legend of Mana (PlayStation)
    b1Ir6Lw.png

The Legend of Mana has a vague overarching plot, focusing more on several character plots with three major storylines and a bunch of side stories. The first major story arc is about the Jumi who have nearly been hunted to extinction for their jewel hearts. The second follows a brother and sister dragoons who fight on opposite ends of a war by different dragon masters. And the third is a complicated love story about four childhood friends and their different paths in life. There are many smaller story arc. There is one main playable characters, but you recruit several along the way depending on decisions you make. Some are guests. You can also have monsters accompany you and golems you've created as well.

This game is extremely non-linear. The world is built by obtaining artifacts, which when placed on the map will make new locations. Battles are on set points in the map where you press different buttons to perform different skills, most of which can be customized on the menu. You can also catch and raise monster eggs and monsters, make your own golems to fight with you, and grow your own odd fruit from the fruit trees. In order to finish the game, you need to complete one of the three main story arcs. It's hard to get everything in this game because it's very finicky about when you do what, so a guide might be needed if you want to see everything it has to offer the first playthrough.

General impressions:
    This game has a very unique art style, which is one of the first things I noticed. I'm actually not a fan of the character designs, but they are very creative and well-done, it's more just personal preference. The locations are beautifully drawn and it looks like a work of art. The game is extremely non-linear, which is great and adds replay value. However, if you're a completionist it might get pretty frustrating. I played with a guide for this list so I could be sure to see everything. The battles can get pretty repetitive and as pretty as the maps are, some of them are very easy to get lost in. But this game has a very unique way of story telling and it was refreshing in that it was quite different from anything I'd ever played. I also very much enjoy games that spawn theories, and I like that this one can be looked at as starting over “after the end” or even as telling the stories of “before the end”. It brings a different and much more desperate feel if you look at it the second way, and I love how much the tone can change from that.

Story:
    The overarching story in this game is incredibly vague and hard to pinpoint. Instead, you mostly follow several mini character stories. I was okay with this because I love character driven plots. With that being said, it was a bit odd as it seemed the main hero was just thrown in to these situations, ranged from silly to incredibly serious, and the hero had little to nothing to do with them. Some of the stories were a bit hard to follow. But overall there were some more fun and silly ones, but also some very deep and serious ones. Of the three main stories, my favourite was the one with the childhood friends, but the Jumi one was excellent too. I liked the love story because it was a very unique and fresh take on love stories and it really got me invested and feeling for them.

VdmQ72T.png
    This is pleasant

Gameplay:
    The gameplay overall is nothing special and at times could be quite frustrating, but that will be covered more in the world section. I wouldn't say it was boring, but battles could be a bit odd because of the positioning of things. But there was a ton of customization available, the world building was so awesome, and there were a good bit off side things to do like make the golems and grow the fruit. The game was also incredibly easy, which I could appreciate.

World:
    The world itself was beautiful and had some amazing locations. It was diverse, it was beautifully drawn, and it was interesting. The downside was that certain maps were horrible and so easy to get lost in. I had a map in front of me and I still got lost all the time. It can turn a 10 minute thing in to a 40 minute thing. But aside from that it was beautiful and fun to explore.

Characters:
    This is a very character driven game and one of the best things about it is that the characters are not stereotypical or black and white. Sometimes it was hard to pinpoint who exactly was the good guy or the bad guy. Because it wasn't always clearly a good or bad guy, just different people. Except Niccolo, that guy was a jerk. But the cast was diverse and interesting and we got to watch a lot of them in some great moments.

Favourite character: Pearl/Blackpearl 9PZ8ICW.jpgujPlWhm.png
    Honourable mentions: Matilda, Esmeralda 5YFrUus.pngK69tijD.png

I've always enjoyed split personality characters and Pearl was very interesting to me. On the one hand I liked her because Pearl was soft spoken, polite, kind, and caring. She was kind of a drag in battle though. But as Blackpearl she was strong, confident, intelligent, and amazing in battle. Both were awesome characters. I liked Matlida because I found her to be a pretty unique character and I really liked her story, and the same thing with Esmeralda but in a different way. All of these characters had very touching stories.

Overall beautiful game, strong character, very unique and refreshing. Great non-linear gameplay, but a bit dull with the battles and stuff and some very frustrating maps. Still it's a very unique game worth checking out.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I see what you mean about the character design. They remind me of those troll toys. The game looks really pretty in general other than that, though!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!