FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default 9. Chrono Trigger

9. Chrono Trigger (Nintendo DS)
    qzXd4jL.jpg

Chrono Trigger is hard to tell you about without spoiling anything. You have this dude named Crono who goes to like a fair to see his friend Lucca, and he meets this young lady. Eventually he and the young lady, Marle, go see Lucca who is showing off one of her new inventions, when suddenly Marle disappears and Lucca and Crono have to go after her and wind up in a strange place. One thing leads to another and then they have to save the world.

This is an RPG. You get in to fights and once your bar fills up for a character, you'll be able to select a command like attack or item. Each character has individual skills called techs as well that are largely dictated by their element. This game also allows for combo attacks between two to three party members. There are 7 playable characters, one of whom is missable, and 3 usable in battle at a time. This game also has multiple potential endings.

General impressions:
    I played this game just last year I believe for the first time. I'd always heard good things about it, although I was fortunate enough to never have had anything spoiled for me. Well I'm pleased to say that I can tell why this game gets so much praise! It's a lot of fun and pretty much what someone like me is looking for in an RPG. Good story, good characters, fun gameplay. The game was a bit too much on the difficult side but not impossible and it was pretty short, but I guess it is meant to be replayed. Other than that it was great.

Story:
    The story was excellent. Exactly the kind of fantastical adventure I want when I play this type of game. It had some wonderfully touching moments, it was well paced and well-told, it had some great moments of suspense. I loved traveling through time and how certain things would have consequences later on in the game. There were some tears during some scenes, not gonna lie. The game really does make you feel invested in what's going on. It could be a bit campy at times but I'd say overall it was pretty epic.

Gameplay:
    It was pretty good fun. It was easy to get in to, intuitive, and straightforward. It was a little bit on the hard side and there could sometimes be a bit too many encounters for my taste. But I did really like the combo attacks, I thought that was great and it rewarded you for using different parties. I also really liked how characters had different elements, I'm always a fan of that type of thing.

qSkMBSq.jpg
    French people play Chrono Trigger too

World:
    Overall excellent. There's a lot of diversity, which is to be expected when you're traveling through time. There were so many areas that I loved exploring. The one place I hated was the future because it was so brown and grey and drab and ugly, but I guess it was supposed to be. I really liked Zeal because pretty and I also really liked the snowy area beneath it as well. Great world.

Characters:
    Pretty strong cast. I didn't really like a lot of the more popular characters but I could appreciate what they did and their development. The only one I didn't really like was Marle because I felt like they were trying to tell me she was a certain way when her actions made her seem another way and she just didn't really connect for me. But I'd say it's a strong cast with interesting stories and fun to use.

Favourite character: Robo dhRABDP.jpg
    Honourable mention: Ayla vVKNeUu.gif

I wasn't expecting to like these characters because well Robo isn't that cute and I'm not super in to robots and I was expecting Ayla to be a miss fanservice. She's a cave woman and she's somehow perfectly waxed and coiffed are you kidding me? But Robo was just precious and I love love love when he's doing the farming with the bandana on his head. And he was pretty cute in the game and had such touching and sweet and sad moments. Ayla turned out to just be this awesome, fun, confident and intelligent (in her own way) woman and it was just like a party having her around. She always gave me a mood boost.

Overall this is a great game with an epic story, a great world to explore, and some awesome characters that really make you care about them. I can see why it became such a classic.

Also, Frog is in it.

No mention of the kitties?

chronotriggercats.jpg

After your Let's Play, I still think of this smiley as the "shion kitty" smiley.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog Frog

best song in this game

best song in any game

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Now that is one classy song but I don't think you can say it's the best even in this game because

Chrono Cross was good too, but imo didn't live up to its predecessor. Chrono Trigger was ahead of its time in many aspects too imo.

305 years ahead of its time in some parts.
    favicon.png

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default 8. Final Fantasy X-2

8. Final Fantasy X-2 (PlayStation 2)
    CvXvt7q.jpg

Final Fantasy X-2 is the story of former summoner Yuna as she became a sphere hunter to find a certain someone from Final Fantasy X. While doing so she learns that things are not all well and good in Spira despite the eternal calm and once again goes on a journey to save the world. If you haven't played X and don't like spoilers, I wouldn't recommend you play this one first.

Final Fantasy X-2 has brought back the job classes in the form of Dresspheres, which can be switched freely during and in between battles. It has the classic ATB battle system, but this time it's paced faster. The game is separated in chapters, with each area having it's own episodes per chapter. Each episode has its own tasks ranging from defeating an enemy to playing Monkey matchmaker. Most areas are accessible at any time via airship, except for a few exceptions here and there. There are three playable characters.

General impressions:
    This game is the reason I got in to the series. I saw a game with an all female cast and I was like “Um, yes!” Sadly this game was not out yet. But I did get Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, and X to try. When this one finally came out I was all over it, and I was not disappointed. It's more lighthearted but I think its just so fun. I like the way it's segmented so I never get bored having to do the same thing over and over again. There's obviously some events I like more than others (that awful massage one) but overall I enjoyed most of it and I found the game very fun from beginning to end. I was never short on something to do.

Story:
    The story is the weak point of this game. Unlike most people, I don't think its bad, but it certainly isn't the best the series has to offer. It feels almost like its just there for the sake of having a story, as opposed to being important to the game. Although I did like seeing Spira after the calm and how things had changed. I like that it wasn't suddenly a utopia, but a place with new struggles and problems.

Gameplay:
    The highlight of this game. It is my ideal RPG gameplay in terms of battles. Job classes, ATB, quick, fun, investing. I actually liked the battle quotes and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Like I mentioned above, the game is setup so I was never bored and things didn't get repetitive. There were mini games to play and things to do like digging if you just wanted to focus on something like that. Just so much fun this game was.

World:
    Same as in my review of Final Fantasy X, with a few minor differences. This game is MUCH less linear and you're almost always free to do things in whatever order you want. They changed up a few areas and I don't like what they did with Mt. Gagazet and the Calm lands overall, but I don't think they ruined them either.

Characters:
    I still adore Yuna, I liked Rikku just fine, but Paine didn't interest me much. I did like how many non-playable characters were important to the story, which isn't something you see as often. I'm a huge Gippal fan, mostly because I love his voice. Black Mage was my favourite dressphere because... well Black Mage.

Overall it might not be for those who want a more serious RPG experience, but I thought it was amazingly fun and I always look forward to playing it.

This is why you are the coolest

LOVE LOVE LOVE Chrono Trigger and X-2, both will be in my top ten.

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default 7. Suikoden II

7. Suikoden II (PlayStation)
    O03SL4C.gif

Suikoden II is a story about two young friends during a time of war. Just when they think a treaty is signed and they can go home, they find that they're own people have betrayed them. While escaping, our young hero, Riou, is found by some strange men and brought to their fort to work for them. Before too long, his friend Jowy finds him and the two learn much more about what's going on in their country than they could have realized.

This game plays similar to other Suikoden games. You need to try to recruit as many of the 108 stars of destiny as you can, and you receive a headquarters where you can participate in mini-games depending on the characters you have recruited. Magic is in the form of Runes that you can purchase and equip on your characters. There are also duels and army battles that are kind of like rock-paper-scissors and the army battles have you move units on a map to engage the enemy. There are 81 total playable characters including guests and non-stars of destiny, with 6 usable in battle at a time.

General impressions:
    As a Suikoden fan, this is the game I'd always heard of. This is largely considered the best game in the series, and a lot of events referenced on forums, in discussions, or even in other Suikoden games were things that took place in this game. It cost a lot of money, but one day I did finally manage to get a hold of the copy. And I don't regret how much I spent at all. The story is great and engaging, there's a large cast of characters and a lot of them are very well written, it has one of the most epic video game antagonists ever, and there's some incredibly touching and well-told moments.

Story:
    Best part of the game and one of the reasons this game is such a classic. The story is deep and well told, and it really makes you care and get invested in what's going on. The endings are touching as are a lot of the moments in between, and you can really feel the pressure and desperation of the world considering what's happening to it. It's just so involving. The betrayal in this game is somewhat predictable, but it still manages to be incredibly well written and heartbreaking. I don't really have any complaints about the story, it's quite excellent.

Gameplay:
    Pretty similar to most Suikoden games. An improvement from the first game, but nothing amazing or that stands out from the rest of the series. Some of the recruiting is pretty difficult. The cooking contest though is one of the best mini-games ever and I'm sad it couldn't be initiated whenever and however many times. That's the only thing that could have made it so much better. It was a lot of fun.

World:
    The world is actually pretty strong because there's a lot of areas with a deep history to them that you're exposed to, so it really makes you invested in what's happening to them. I will say that unfortunately I found this to be one of the weaker headquarters, personally, but the world overall was really great and the towns felt alive and real.

Characters:
    The game does a great job of having a lot of variety, which is to be expected for such a large cast, but to also have a lot of them be well written and memorable. The main cast in particular sticks out among the series as one of the strongest, and even the antagonist is interesting, and leads to an epic boss battle unique from most others. It was also interesting to see Flik again and how he'd changed since the first game.

Favourite character: Millie ORyg6dm.gif
    Honourable mentions: Hix, Viktor, Freed Y lpRXJ5y.gifcFoiJ4Y.gifc3qa0yl.gif

I like Millie and Bonaparte because they're both adorable and sweet. I'm not sure what Bonaparte is exactly, but their dynamic is pretty cute. Hix is still a loveable kind hearted oaf, Viktor is still a bear man with a heart of gold. I liked Freed I think because he reminds me of my boyfriend, who even kind of looks like him.

Overall this is an incredibly strong game with a wonderfully told, deep, investing story, a really strong cast of characters, and fun gameplay. Highly recommend for Suikoden fans, especially since it's now available much cheaper on the PSN.

FFX-2 is awesome. Sure, the story is terrible. Sure, the game can have way too much fanservice sometimes. But the sidequests are just so much fun that you don't care.

Have you tried the HD remake yet, Pumpkin?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have not

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Suikoden is fairly heavy politics-wise, and you have commented about how you don't really like games like that? How do you get past this prominent feature of these games if it's something you tend not to enjoy?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can just follow Suikoden games better for some reason

It's not that I dislike political stories, I just can't seem to follow most of them. Could be because Suikoden games you're more hands on in the middle of the politics instead of being on the side while you hear about political figures A,B, and C? So it makes it easier to follow?

Couldn't say exactly, I just seem to be able to understand them better

Holy crap, it's Suikoden II. This just became one of my favorite threads of all time in the history of ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    I have not
    You should. Extra dresspheres and some bonus content.

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Suikoden is fairly heavy politics-wise, and you have commented about how you don't really like games like that? How do you get past this prominent feature of these games if it's something you tend not to enjoy?
    While it's heavily political, you can follow the story just by following the individual stories of the main characters. Their friendship and clashes mirror the political drama, which makes it easier to follow than the interaction of major power blocks. A personal story, told on a grand scale.