Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Capcom should make a Final Fantasy fighting game

Default Capcom should make a Final Fantasy fighting game

Square Enix tried to make a fighting game of their own with Dissidia, and while I enjoyed it, I think Capcom can do better. They should make a fighting game with Final Fantasy characters, perhaps styled after Marvel vs Capcom 3. I don't know what the title of the game should be, though. Any suggestions?
    Is that your final answer?

Articles
    Blog Entries

So, you want to take the Final Fantasy IP from one struggling Japanese video game company to another struggling Japanese video game company?

The gameplay would be solid, but I don't see Square outsourcing.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    I don't know what the title of the game should be, though. Any suggestions?
    Final Fightasy
    favicon.png

Joking aside, I have to agree with Tori about Square likely not wanting to share its toys, though Capcom DID manage to strike up a deal with SNK while the two were heated rivals in the fighting game market, so who knows what is possible.

That said, I don't think I'd want Capcom making a Final Fantasy fighting game, at least not like their traditional Vs. series. I feel the series' pacing would match up poorly with the FF license, as Golbez flying in for a long aerial chain to swap to Vivi for a super just doesn't seem right to me.

What I would love to see, however, is something more along the lines of a party fighter like BlayzBloo, Bleach Blade Battlers 2, or Power Stone, preferably a mix of the three is possible. The games are generally pretty quick to pick up and play, would be able to take great advantage of unique locations and items from the various FF titles, and, as BB2 showed, can still offer plenty of fighting game depth despite player expectation. Imagine Garland flying around on a red chocobo, raining down meteors, while three other players fight in the middle of the FF8 parade over a Spoon that dropped from a random crate.

I'd play that.

Or fighting on the Lethe River raft in magitek armor while Ultros tries to grab people.

Capcom had a great thing going with Power Stone and I'm sure they could do a lot to improve the formula if they went back to it now, and the FF license would be great for it.
    Last edited by Rez09; 01-30-2015 at 01:15 AM.

Wait, is Square Enix struggling? I knew Capcom was because they seem to be having internal struggles. That was obvious because of the games they release, abandoned, or downright cancel. It's like they can never make up their mind about anything, and that causes complication within and upsets fans.

But I don't know anything about Square Enix. I mean, sure, they lost Final Fantasy fans because of the direction they're going, but they've also gained fans for the same reason. But I don't pay attention to internal struggles if I can help it so I may be missing something.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Electroshock Therapy View Post
    Wait, is Square Enix struggling? I knew Capcom was because they seem to be having internal struggles. That was obvious because of the games they release, abandoned, or downright cancel. It's like they can never make up their mind about anything, and that causes complication within and upsets fans.

But I don't know anything about Square Enix. I mean, sure, they lost Final Fantasy fans because of the direction they're going, but they've also gained fans for the same reason. But I don't pay attention to internal struggles if I can help it so I may be missing something.
    I don't think they're struggling financially, but they've been struggling trying to get their footing back in the Western market for a good while now. Prolonged development, bad business decisions, and just not getting what fans want is a big part of it. Their last successes of note over here has been Tomb Raider (which they dubbed a failure) and Bravely Default (which wouldn't have even been brought over here if it wasn't for Nintendo convincing them to do so). Tabata's already gone on record saying FFXV could be the last console game for Final Fantasy if it fails.

Capcom just struggles with everything.

Square Enix is remaking Dissidia for arcades, but I still think they should collaborate with Capcom on a fighting game.
    Is that your final answer?

Thanks but no thanks. Square did something awesome and creative. Capcom fighting games are lame.

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

Why do good companies just start making bad games all of a sudden, and once they make the first bad one, they just can't stop doing it? Capcom used to be good. Why?! At least Konami is still doing okay, even if their Castlevania sucks today!

Capcom should finish MML3 and get their head out their own arse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante WolfWood View Post
    Capcom should finish MML3 and get their head out their own arse.
    All my this.

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!

Or Square could just make another Ehrgeiz!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Final fantasy fighting game, sure. Capcom? No thanks.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I disagree. I think instead Valve should make a Final Fantasy-themed competitive multiplayer first-person shooter.

edit: I was a little heated in my post. I apologize. What should the title of this game be?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Final Fortress 2

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't think my wallet could handle the six different versions that would come out with minimal changes.

Super Ultra Mega Final Fantasy 3D Arcade Platinum Complete Edition. Coming soon, a cancelled sequel.

I'm too butthurt about Breath of Fire VI coming to mobile (which i'm still anxiously looking forward to) to be excited about any Capcom game outside of the Devil May Cry series. They've really taken a step back in terms of actual fan desires. I'll always have a place for them on my shelf, though.

But who knows, maybe it would turn out really awesome and I'd change my tune.
    Last edited by Lone Wolf Leonhart; 03-25-2015 at 05:31 PM.