View Poll Results: How do you feel about XV so far?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • So excited I’ll preorder Type-0 just for the demo

8 33.33%
  • It is ok, I’ll get this game eventually

5 20.83%
  • I like it so far but would like to see more to decide

5 20.83%
  • Don’t like it so far but would like to see more to decide

3 12.50%
  • It is bad, I won’t be getting this game

1 4.17%
  • Other (please elaborate)

2 8.33%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Based on what we have seen so far, how do you feel about XV?

FFXIV Character

Tyson Ferrari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by metagloria View Post
    They'll probably release the game without an airship, then build the functionality later and release airship DLC.
    I don't know If they could even do that :S , the way Tabata talks about it is the game worlds skybox doesn't even go up high enough to accommodate airships. There's the enemy dropships of course, but they only fly a couple metres above the treeline (or bird height as they describe it).

A proper airship would have to be more like the planes in GTA V. In order for that to work you have to go hundreds of metres into the air, which involves replacing all the textures/objects on the ground with lower poly ones as you get higher and higher. Not only that, but if you fly low the game has to be able to render all the beautiful environments/monsters while you fly past stuff at 200 km/h (which would be quite a feat as getting normal gameplay to a steady 30fps is enough of a challenge)

Point is, it's a major engine upgrade, would be like adding planes to Need for Speed via a patch, It's really something you have to put in at the start of development.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I'll get it on release, no question. Unlike the poll options, that doesn't dictate how excited I am. I'm cautiously optimistic. There are things I'm concerned about, but I'm confident I will enjoy the game for the game that it is. People spend too much time worrying about whether this will be the game they exactly want out of an FF game without stopping to wonder if it will be the game they want outside of an FF game. For me, it's very much the latter but I'm going to wait and see on the former. My biggest concerns are the storyline, the battle system feel and the lack of 'fantasy' atmosphere. But I'm crossing my fingers that at least two of these things will click for me. If so, I'm confident I'll enjoy this game.

EDIT: Actually, I have one other concern, and that is fans. I always worry that fans of x game will drag this game down because it's not x game. The curse of an innovative, varied series.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I guess I should've mentioned that I don't have a next gen console so who knows when I can get around to this.

I actually see the bit about how it's a "bro game" as a plus for me; it just looks like it's going to be the gaming equivalent of a buddy movie and that sounds mega fun to me.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah I've come to terms with the bro aspect of it. As long as there are strong female NPCs to create a balance, and the actual bros are well developed characters and at least not entirely tropes.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I remember the E3 2013 trailer, it seemed so interesting, so coherent, such a strong vision. But everything surrounding Episode Duscae has kinda called that into question again. I also don't think it helps that there's been so much discussion about going on a road trip with your buddies I have very little idea what the actual premise of the story is. Remember that old dude from the E3 trailer who wore a cape? Who's he? What kingdom is Noctis prince of again? We're going on this road trip to... where are we going again? That stuff with the city being attacked by Leviathan, Magitek armour, buildings collapsing, the daring escape from a raging tsunami... what's going on with that side of things?
    I remember that trailer and all those things too. I am hoping that they are sort of holding off on that for now until the demo is released (since the demo won't feature any of those things) and then we will get a more holistic view of the game in the form of gameplay footage and such. I certainly hope so because at this point, comparisons to other upcoming titles are inevitable and what Monolith Soft and CD Projekt are doing to showcase their upcoming games (Xenoblade X and The Witchter III respectively) is much more compelling and informative as it gives you a better sense of what the game has to offer; and those games haven't been in development for as long as XV has.

For example here is a gameplay demonstration of Xenoblade X from 8 months ago...

And one of The Witcher III from 6 months ago...

Of course, I am more excited for XV than I am for these games, but shouldn't we be seeing this level of footage and detail about XV at this point?

Game development can be tricky... it's hard to know how much they're deliberately keeping back that is fine and how much is genuinely not done. Sometimes you have big chunks of a polished game done very early on that you build up from, and sometimes you have quite a ropey looking game which you can't really show off for about 90% of the development and then it all comes together in the last few months.

So it's hard to draw any conclusions.

BTW I was reading above what you guys were thinking about the airship. It occurs to me if they did it in a X kinda way, it probably wouldn't be the hardest thing to add in somewhere. It was just a glorified fast travel hub there, and we already know they've got fast travel in the game.

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

I will get it on release, as I do with every Final Fantasy. But I can't help but feel just a little indifferent about it. But pretty much all I have seen from it is wandering through thick grass, a bit of a forest and fighting some baddies in a cave. That is all I know about this game...oh and a lot of tapping PlaystationSquare.png

YOU DONT KNOW YET!?!?!? FFFFsephychibi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
    Not optimistic at all, to me it just doesn't have the Final Fantasy feel to it and I think they've gone for style over substance.
    I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but I get a little confused every time I read 'this doesn't feel like final fantasy'

And then I found this image:

w2BWWPW.jpg

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by FFFFsephychibi View Post
    Not optimistic at all, to me it just doesn't have the Final Fantasy feel to it and I think they've gone for style over substance.
    I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but I get a little confused every time I read 'this doesn't feel like final fantasy'

w2BWWPW.jpg
    Looks like Final Fantasy XV is a Final Fantasy title after all
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

FFXIV Character

Tyson Ferrari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by FFFFsephychibi View Post

w2BWWPW.jpg
    I think it feels more like a Final Fantasy then any game since IX. They have purposely gone back and copied everything from the PS1 trilogy to appease people. That's the entire foundation Versus was based on. With the exception of the battle system it is basically VII, VIII or IX with prettier graphics. Atleast that's what they're aiming for.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

That is the dumbest image. I think I could do literally the same thing for any FF after FF9. Especially ALL THE BOOBS! That's definitely something that makes FF an FF.

The "Final Fantasy feel" is something vague and means different things to different people, so I never understand what that means as an objective value.

Also, that "Final Fantasy Feel" is something I can't make a judgement on based on trailers and screenshots. I have to immerse myself in the world, the characters, the mechanics.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

I agree with Fox. Need to play it before I can make the decision on that "Final Fantasy Feeling". But I'm getting a good vibe from what I've seen.

Also I don't get how FFXV is "basically FFVII, VIII and IX".
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

YOU DONT KNOW YET!?!?!? FFFFsephychibi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    That is the dumbest image. I think I could do literally the same thing for any FF after FF9. Especially ALL THE BOOBS! That's definitely something that makes FF an FF.
    The focus was not boobs.

My whole point is, the only thing this series keeps consistent is call backs to it's classic games and certain gameplay fomulas.

Which a lot of fans correlate with if "this is a final fantasy or not"

If those things aren't in, the fan base looses it's trout.

If Square puts those same things in, but they are slightly different, people still aren't happy and saying overall the 'final fantasy feeling is not here'

So no one wins, and everyone is just angry.

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post

The "Final Fantasy feel" is something vague and means different things to different people, so I never understand what that means as an objective value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Also, that "Final Fantasy Feel" is something I can't make a judgement on based on trailers and screenshots. I have to immerse myself in the world, the characters, the mechanics.

Which I completely agree with.

We have 15 games. 15 Different worlds, 15 different stories with different characters. We all know they are different, so it shouldn't be a surprise if one doesn't feel like the other, because they aren't the same games.

FFXV has FF1-ALL vibes imo.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm so frick-frackitty excited that I refuse to look at anymore news, so as not to spoil the fun for myself!

But I don't have a PS4