Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Battlefront

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Yeah, they took the official servers down. Though there's apparently a mod you can install to get online again.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I played the second one, just not very often. :C

They seriously should have just done a Battlefront HD Remix. Forget the retarded high fidelity graphics nobody asked for or is even all that interested in. Nobody ever hated a Star Wars game for having stylized graphics. And don't call it Battlefront without having Battlefront features

Seems like typical EA, but this is actually more akin to things Sega does. I'm not an age-old Battlefront fan, but I can imagine this is similar to us Shining Force fans waiting years for any addition to the series only to have the series retconned and bastardized into something generic and cookie-cutter without any of the charm and/or appeal of the older games

I get a weird feeling they only got the Star Wars license because of BioWare and their KoTOR history. Even though BioWare is busy and has no interest in doing KotOR 3, and not only that, but last I heard Lucas Arts was putting an Axe to any extended universe stuff, which KotOR probably would be considered and they want to concentrate on strictly canon stories around the current movies and nothing more. And I can't imagine BioWare ever being all that interested in touching that with all those limitations

Articles
    Blog Entries

While we might not get KotOR 3 or a true Battlefront, one plus of EA having the Star Wars license is that Amy Hennig is making an action adventure game in the setting. She was the creative director behind the console Uncharted games.

Articles

If anyone was uncertain about getting BFII or like Tori don't know what it's all about, here's 7 minutes of me playing it!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post

If anyone was uncertain about getting BFII or like Tori don't know what it's all about, here's 7 minutes of me playing it!
    Also, just going to say: I will not be at all surprised if BFII turns out looking better than the new one.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I was a bit out. 25 is just a teeny bit less than what you actually got.

Seems like it could be p fun. And it's not too expensive either!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I cba to go to the bank.

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

Jedi Knight series is still the best Star Wars series. They need to make another one of those bad boys.

Looking forward to the new Battlefront 3! I used to play BF2 all the time along with other Star Wars games.
    Ride with the steel and the power of the sword.
    Stand up and fight now and forever more.
    Rise through the night sky with daylight's desire.
    To be free there must be Black Fire.
    Black Fire by DragonForce. \m/

Articles

The beta is now available for free download for PC, PS4 and XB1. It's going to run until Monday. Definitely worth having a look if you're like me and unsure! I will report my findings as a BF veteran in this thread and if anyone's on PS4 I'd love to play with you this weekend - it's free, don't forget!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    The beta is now available for free download for PC, PS4 and XB1. It's going to run until Monday. Definitely worth having a look if you're like me and unsure! I will report my findings as a BF veteran in this thread and if anyone's on PS4 I'd love to play with you this weekend - it's free, don't forget!
    I'm extremely pumped because it means I actually get to play a little bit of this game. The release date for it is one day before I leave for England (without my beloved PS4), which means I was going to miss out on it unless I grab it for PC.

Anyway, left mine downloading overnight and I'll be on after work today. PSN: Mr_Obesity

Articles

First impressions time!

• Absolutely beautiful game, both graphically and soundwise. The locations are gorgeous and intricate and the blaster fire both looks and feels incredible, as do the explosions that rumble on around you.
    • It's definitely not Battlefront 3. Battlefront as we knew it is dead. That's not to say being different is an inherently bad thing. It's just that fans of the old series shouldn't be drawn to this one because it has the same name and theme, which is what I had sort of in my heart of hearts hoped for.
    • Definitely one of the most frantic and intense shooters I've ever played. 20 vs 20 will do that I guess. Still, this can lead to you dying repeatedly from all sorts of different directions without knowing where it came from.
    • The partner system is cool. Essentially it randomly assigns a member of your team to be your buddy and you always have the option to spawn on them, provided they're alive. You can sometimes end up in a firefight and get spawnkilled though!
    • I appreciate this isn't Battlefront specific and is common in most FPS, but the "level up by playing and gain new equipment!" mechanic is stupid and needs to stop. It only exists to encourage people to play more and creates unfair advantages. Here I am, bumbling about with the equivalent of a machine gun while everyone has sniper rifles and jetpacks. While I'm on the subject...
    • No, there shouldn't be smurfing sniper rifle spawns for everyone on a multiplayer game dear god.
    • If you ever play on Hoth as the Rebels you are so smurfing dead. You are smurfed seven ways to Sunday. Take one step out into the open and you can see AT-ATs, AT-STs and Vader himself bearing down on you. And to make matters worse the Empire can take over the Rebel's turrets and smurf them up with them. I say worse, it's my favourite trick as the Empire I've never seen the Rebels win Hoth once. It's a massacre.

I guess you can say my views are mixed!

Articles
    Blog Entries

My first impressions are as follows.

-I am a pretty hardcore player of destiny, and it is an absolute breath of fresh air to play a game of pvp and not be close quarter shotgunned at every turn. This game rewards a more skilled hand and I was able to jump straight to a high KD ratio right off the bat, which was a good feeling.
    -It IS extremely hard to tell where you are getting shot from. Basically if you get caught in someone's sights and you don't immediately see them then you're smurfed. You'll be whipping your sights around while your health is quickly melted down and you eventually die. I don't really mind this because it promotes sticking to the trenches that are available to you. This game truly feels like a war more than a deathmatch.
    -Sniper rifles on a cooldown, I love you. I'm not sure if that system will stay that way once everyone is level 5000 or whatever, but at the moment that is an awesome way to make sure that no one can just camp those massive open maps and mow everyone down (I tried doing this and though I had a good KD, I got significantly less kills as when I wasn't sniping). Add to this that the sniper rifle scopes don't have a very crazy zoom and you're left with a game that promotes moving your way carefully up the map so you can get kills with your primary weapon.
    -STAR WARS! Music, atmosphere, soundeffects, holy smurfing balls stay away from me Darth Vader you dirty bastard, all these things are spot on. I love that universe and this plops you right into the thick of it.
    -Despite all the good things I've just listed... it's kinda boring. But I'm 90% sure this is just BETA limitations, because 2 maps over two game modes is never going to be the most varied experience. On top of that I've not been able to spawn as Luke or Vader yet and I've never found myself inside an AT-AT or a TIE fighter, so it's just been shooting for me so far.

I think the full game will be a much grander experience, but the gameplay and atmosphere has laid the groundwork for this game to be extremely epic.

FFXIV Character

Tyson Ferrari (Sargatanas)

I downloaded the beta last night, I'm a huge Star Wars fan and played the previous battlefronts. I've also put like 100 hours into Battlefield 4 so I figured this would be right up my alley.

I enjoyed my time with it but I do have some issues, firstly all the guns are WAAAY too accurate, i get they're laser weapons so the projectiles wouldn't be affected my gravity or wind but you can pretty easily snipe people on the other side of the map with the regular blaster. This was always my problem with COD, whack an ACOG scope on your heavy machine gun and you can pretty much kill anyone at any distance.

I also hope they have some kind of hardcore mode, I pretty much play BF4 exclusively on hardcore. I guess cause I grew up playing shooters like Counter Strike: Souce I hate shooters where you have to empty half a clip in people before they die (looking at you Halo). This isn't quite so bad but people can still take a few shots.

Oh and pretty much what everyone else has said but the rebels don't stand a chance on Hoth, probably played 20 or so matches and they won once.