• Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I never played it and I'm not really interested

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

DoC always looked like a train wreck to me ,and minor plot synopsis combined with Vincent getting lower on my "like" poll in VII during each playthrough, made me thankfully dodge this game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

On to the good list!

Click here to listen. And please don't hurt me.

#10: FINAL FANTASY X-2

You guys are going to kill me. Final Fantasy X-2 is a much maligned sequel to one of the most beloved entries in the series. It is dumb, it is campy, and it craps all over Final Fantasy X… and I love every second of it. I love this game much, much more than its predecessor in every way.

The gameplay is fast-paced and exciting, and not just in battle. The missions offer plenty of variety and Spira feels much more like an actual world in this game, with people being the annoying bastards they are and asking you to do all their dirty work. Not once was I bored in this game, which is not something I can say about X. The battle system is the most action-packed version of ATB yet, with multiple attacks being pulled off at once (another similarity to Grandia II), and jobs being changed on the fly. You heard that right – jobs are back in this game, taking the form of dresspheres. While again you can’t customize the abilities, just like in FFIII, each dressphere gets to learn a huge amount of unique skills, and you get to change them in battle, which is awesome. To top it all off, each costume change comes with a magical girl-esque transformation sequence. For a Sailor Moon fan such as myself, this was a nice nostalgic touch.

The story of Final Fantasy X-2 is pretty stupid, with shallow characters and ridiculous plot twists, but you know what else it is? Fun. Gone are the joyless words of self-proclaimed wisdom of X FFX-2 is all about the goofy adventures of our Charlie’s Angels expies. The game lacks the frustrating delusions of grandeur X was so guilty of. It really doesn’t even try to hide the fact that it is completely stupid. While not quite as wittily self-aware as, say Final Fantasy V, it nevertheless feels like a breath of fresh air after the teen drama of X. And if a game that is stupid by its very premise can make me feel way more emotion for a couple through a three-minute long music video than a game that is supposed to be so deep and meaningful with its sublime love story can do over twenty hours of gameplay, then I’m sorry, but your sublime love story is really in dire need of better writing.

It may look like I love X-2 only because of its relationship to X – and that’s totally the case. I probably wouldn’t like this game so much if I did like the story of X, but I don’t. Instead, here I got the fun gameplay and sense of adventure I lacked in the previous entry. X-2, for me, delivered where X failed, and I really think it deserves way more credit than it gets. It’s stupid, but it’s fun and happy, so just sit back, and enjoy the ride as we tarnish everything everybody loved about Final Fantasy X.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hey, it made it to number 8 on my top games of all time list

Articles
    Blog Entries

To me, FFX has easily the best story in the series, while FFX-2 has easily the best gameplay in the series. They complement each other pretty well.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    You guys are going to kill me. Final Fantasy X-2 is a much maligned sequel to one of the most beloved entries in the series.
    Do you... even know EoFF? At all? Because uh, this opinion is not maligned, nor is it uncommon 'round these parts. Do you not remember this debacle? FFX-2 is perhaps more loved on EoFF than FFX, and many agree it is deservingly so.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    You guys are going to kill me. Final Fantasy X-2 is a much maligned sequel to one of the most beloved entries in the series.
    Do you... even know EoFF? At all? Because uh, this opinion is not maligned, nor is it uncommon 'round these parts. Do you not remember this debacle? FFX-2 is perhaps more loved on EoFF than FFX, and many agree it is deservingly so.
    It didn't use to be so, you know. When I first joined, people were reluctant to even aknowledge the existence of this game. I am well aware of the fact that their opinion has changed lately, but I know people who would hang me for putting it higher than X.

Also, number 3 poster in the last 7 days, thank you very much

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I placed it higher than X

It's a really fun game!

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can see that being the case when you first joined. X was a game a lot of people liked, and X-2 in a lot of ways kind of craps all over the story of X. I got the game thinking about how serious X was and also thinking about what things will be like after the fall of Yevon and whatnot. X-2 was nothing like what I wanted it to be at the time, and I'm sure I didn't like the game at first.

It is probably the most fun I've had playing an FF game though once I got over that. I so wish that the XIII games when they were wanting something fast paced just copied the gameplay almost exactly from X-2.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

It didn't use to be so, you know. When I first joined, people were reluctant to even aknowledge the existence of this game. I am well aware of the fact that their opinion has changed lately, but I know people who would hang me for putting it higher than X.

Also, number 3 poster in the last 7 days, thank you very much
    Yes, I remember those days. People speaking up about enjoying FFX-2 were shouted down and called stupid, and the game was railed against. 2003 was a hell of a time.

However, it's now 2015. 2015 is not 2003, and comments about how people don't like FFX-2 and how you're going to get shouted down for daring to like it more than FFX just... don't fit anymore. FFX-2 very much gets credit where credit is due these days. You're not stickin' it to the FFX fans by saying you like this better.

Yes, some people dislike it still, but every entry of the series gets people who rail against it, so basically it's just like the rest of the series. I just feel like it's a bit disingenuous to speak of FFX-2 in 2015 as if it is unique in this way, unless you plan on saying it about every other entry which just makes it a wee bit of a redundant comment.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I never made a point of sticking it to anyone. Just pointing out that X-2 trouts all over X and I like that aspect.

Just trying to keep the thing fun. Also, perhaps things have calmed down here, but if you go to other places on the internet that have a bit more of a casual interest in FF, you'll see a lot of people love X and hate X-2 for "ruining it".

Am I really that annoying?