Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [E3 2015] Star Ocean 5

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Star Ocean has always been a mediocre (This word doesnt mean bad) franchise honestly, but its a mediocre franchise that I adore. Will probably play the smurf out of this and do all the postgame without being able to sincerely recommend the game to others, as usual.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Skip the first four games and go straight to 5?

Okay.
    4 is actually 0 and 5 is 2.5. Do not skip 4, you will miss something and I am more talking about the experience itself than the story.

FFXIV Character

Eneby Kurs (Sargatanas)

You'll miss the experience of witnessing the assassination of a franchise, yeah.

Yeah it was terrible how the franchise named STAR OCEAN finally dealt with exploring outer of space instead of stranding you on Generic Fantasy Planet #4555512.

How dare they. I know I personally was very disappointed when I got an awesome space ship and the ability to go to different planets right away. I never wanted any of that in mah sci-fi JRPG.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I thought they were both pretty fun games (I need to get round to SO1/2), and so am looking forward to SO5 when it inevitably hits.

This is according to a poster on TVTropes:
    So in the private presentation, Nakamura said they had to fight to get the witch girl in. They first had to get approval from the higher-ups because her design may be pushing the rating. They didn't want to change her because they thought Akiman's take on her was really unique and eye-catching.
    It's a good sign, being able to out-risque SO4 is a remarkable feat.

Star Ocean 3 is one of the best RPGs ever made, and has the best soundtrack bar none.

Star Ocean 4 is fine. There's nothing wrong with it at all. It's a pretty game with a good story and fun combat.

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Still need to play SO4 and get around to finishing SO1.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Skip the first four games and go straight to 5?

Okay.
    4 is actually 0 and 5 is 2.5. Do not skip 4, you will miss something and I am more talking about the experience itself than the story.
    Wat? They went Devil May Cry with the numbers?

They've already said where this takes place in the timeline?

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Yes, it is between 2 and 3.

And Devil May Cry did that when? I only played the new one and that is a Reboot.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Yes, it is between 2 and 3.

And Devil May Cry did that when? I only played the new one and that is a Reboot.
    The third game is a prequel to DMC1 and DMC4 takes place between DMC1 and 2. Oh game designers and their crazy use of numbers.

FFXIV Character

Eneby Kurs (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Yeah it was terrible how the franchise named STAR OCEAN finally dealt with exploring outer of space instead of stranding you on Generic Fantasy Planet #4555512.

How dare they. I know I personally was very disappointed when I got an awesome space ship and the ability to go to different planets right away. I never wanted any of that in mah sci-fi JRPG.
    That's not why it's bad.

It's bad because the combat did a complete 180 in design philosophy. It completely missed the point of all the changes they made in SO3. Fury, MP damage and anti-attack auras were there for the express purpose of discouraging button mashing. They wanted you to play smart. On the higher difficulties, you actually have to. Those elements were implemented as a reactionary measure to the way people played SO2, and they didn't want Star Ocean to be that kind of game. It's the same kind of thinking that went into what made Bloodborne good and different from the other Souls games. SO4 disregarded all of that and went for nostalgia.

They replaced all your defensive options with flashy gimmicks like blindside and rush combos. Blindside is a "defensive maneuver," except you only use it for offensive purposes, and it boils down to "that thing you use when you can't figure out how to hurt the boss." Rush mode and rush combos are an "I win" button. The BEAT system is pointless. The bonus gauge was somehow made even more convoluted than it was in SO3.

There was no reason to go back to 4 character parties (naturally, going to 6+ in SO5 is not a good idea). On paper, having 4 characters sounds good, but until they figure out how to either program competent AI or let you program it yourself, the more characters you have, the more bad AIs you have to fight with. Micromanaging is already difficult with 3 characters, it's going to be a complete mess with 6. The only thing that would make that work is a gambit system and a Dragon Age: Origins style tactical camera. It works in turn-based games because they're turn-based. Real-time action combat demands relatively small party sizes. Online co-op would be a good thing.

The item creation took 2 steps forward with being able to make exactly what you want, and then 5 steps back with how you could synthesize items onto other items to increase their base stats and still have free factor slots. You could do that forever (albeit abusing a programming oversight), until your armor gave you +9999 everything. No real reason to play the endgame if there's no such thing as specs/setups/builds. There's a reason Dark Souls has a community-dictated PvP level cap even though you can go to 999. If you don't abuse the oversight, there are at least 3 characters in the game who can permanently stunlock the entire screen.

It's cool that they brought back stuff like pickpocket and harvesting, but they neglected to implement the most interesting aspects of SO2's item creation. There was no using reverse side to buy inns and get free heals there for the entire game. You didn't have characters who had to craft items to learn their own battle skills, there was no publishing/writing. Then they took away one of the the biggest things in Star Ocean: optional characters. If the shallow battle system and broken synthesis didn't do it, now you really have no reason to play the game more than once.

But hey, I'm not here to make you apologize for liking something. I just have actual reasons for hating that game, ya dig?
    a brother never lived to hear me diss him on no record...
    extralives - counterfeit self

THis post does not look like you have played it for 600 hours. And I would play it another 600 before even touching a Souls gameagain, which I have tried for 30 minutes and never tried ever again.

Game looks really good, the environments especially.

But what the hell is with that creepy zoom thing they're doing. I thought I was having some kind of acid trip.