Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 5 Concerns About the Final Fantasy VII Remake Announcement

As if anyone cares about anything but Final Fantasy VII.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I think you'll find there are a lot of people excited about Heavensward.

That is just because you guys are so confused because you are so excited about Final Fantasy VII that you cannot control your thoughts and other titles are slipping in. Actually you are only interested in VII.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I don't like Genesis, but I don't think "universally loathed" is accurate either. Hell, Crisis Core isn't even "universally played". Genesis is generally disliked, that's probably fair to say, though. I don't loathe Genesis.
    This. Genesis does have his fandom.

Genesis hate is not on the same level as Umbridge or Joffery, not even close.

I don't think Gackt is quite as popular as he once was. The odds of us seeing Genesis seem fairly low.

It all went downhill after Steve Hackett left.

Man I remember when FF7 came out there was so much reaction from the developers and the fans to its incompleteness. Of course it's going to undergo changes. Upgrades, from the perspective of the developers. At the time I recall reading that the game was rushed through its later stages. I remember Nobuo Uematsu in particular regretted the lack of time for him to polish some of his music (he was caught between that and Dear Friends, I think?) I think the lack of time spent polishing the writing resulted in the ambiguity we relish and fume over today, but I think that is the primary thing they want to eliminate from the game.

The themes in FFX are just more clearly out there for you to see, ya?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    The one thing I've realised about fans of Final Fantasy is that we love a good whinge... about anything. It seems every element of every final fantasy games are both loved and loathed by fans. We all know that making this game and pleasing everyone is an impossible task. I know for a fact that there will be parts of this game that I won't like but I don't really care. I can't wait to see the world I know and love in gloriously fleshed-out HD.

If they change the battle system and it isn't to my taste then fine, I'll go and play the original again. If I want to wander around Cosmo Canyon in the way I've dreamt about, hopefully, I can do this in the remake.

I just can't wait to have another way of experiencing this world.

True for pretty much all geek things especially on the internet. Can't beat a good whinge
    Could be worse.. Metroid fans.. Sonic fans..

But yeah at least there's always the old game for playing... well, the old game. In all its many-times-replayable turn-based materia mixing goodness.
    There seemed to be a hint that it might see a graphical update too, or it might be reading too much into things.

Still, I'm really hoping we'll have updated versions of the same music and such, that would be cool!

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ
    Only thing that annoyed me about him had nothing to do with his character, just him being placed somewhere he didn't need to be.
    This is true. I bet if Genesis had been introduced originally in any other SE game as the main villain, there would not be near as much hate for him as there is today, although they probably still would have decried him as "an inferior Sephiroth clone" (like Ansem). Two emotions inspire hate: fear and love. It's long been said there's a thin line between love and hate. I personally say there is no line. Hate is just a result of being unable to reconcile your love (or in some cases, fear) for something because you believe that "logically" it should have no meaning to you. For many FF fans, they see great similarity between Sephiroth and Genesis. As well they should. SE gave them virtually identical origin stories, abilities, and nearly even motives. By the end of Crisis Core, Genesis was seemingly even made perfect even in comparison to Sephiroth.

My favorite aspects about Genesis are
    1) I like the name Genesis
    2) I like the color red
    3) I like the rapier
    4) I like that he didn't whine consistently about his destiny and Jenova being his mother

My not-so-favorite aspects of Sephiroth
    1) his long-ass sword is clearly compensating for something (same thing for Cloud) or represents their closeted homosexual need for each other (not that there's anything wrong with that)
    2) how many serious villains do you know to whine about their mothers?
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    2) how many serious villains do you know to whine about their mothers?
    I knew one who went on rants about his father, but that's not the same thing.

The only reason I hate Genesis is because of what he did to LOVELESS. Going on and on about the "Gift of the Goddess" all the time. The whole thing is in a completely different style to what Cid talked about on the Highwind.

That play was a really nice background thing in FFVII, you barely ever see it - you just get a couple of posters in Midgar and then the chat with Cid near the end. For Genesis to bring it to the forefront and retcon the style really wound me up. So much so it's the only thing about him I remember, I don't even know what his plot was.

Wait, Cid talked about LOVELESS? How did I miss this? I replayed the game nigh-on nine times. I never knew anything about LOVELESS (other than the poster at the beginning of VII) until I played Crisis Core.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Wait, Cid talked about LOVELESS? How did I miss this? I replayed the game nigh-on nine times. I never knew anything about LOVELESS (other than the poster at the beginning of VII) until I played Crisis Core.
    I don't even remember the poster.

FFXIV Character

Temaia Aetherwynn (Behemoth)

Cid talks about it on th Highwind. If you speak to him while aboard the ship on disc 3 he'll talk about it

Quote Originally Posted by BlasterDarkRen View Post
    Cid talks about it on th Highwind. If you speak to him while aboard the ship on disc 3 he'll talk about it
    Yup !

Cid
    "You ever see the play 'LOVELESS'?"

***Cloud
    Yes

Cid
    "Yeah? Really? Well, that's fine."
    "They've been doin' that play every summer since I was a kid."
    "An' I remember seein' it just once..."
    "That was when I was in Midgar interviewing to be a pilot."
    "I had some free time and thought I'd catch the play."
    "Now, I'm no big fan of the theater or anything."