Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Man of Steel = Superman, but without the cheesiness?

Default Do you think Man of Steel = Superman, but without the cheesiness?

Because a lot of things, Superman related, are cheesy when you look back at them including Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman and Smallville...I don't remember there being too much cheesiness in 2013's Man of Steel though, it's like they were trying to do a Batman Begins-like origin story but told from Superman's point of view.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_10921 View Post
    it's like they were trying to do a Batman Begins-like origin story but told from Superman's point of view.
    That's exactly what they were doing. Warner Bros. and DC have been trying to emulate Batman in other superheroes for a while now because everyone loves Batman. The reason we love Batman is because he's a more relatable character and his rogue gallery is more interesting. I'm not against them taking cues from Batman to help re-create the other heroes they have to make them more interesting, what I don't like is them just ripping off the formula altogether until they're unrecognizable.

There's such a darker and mellow-dramatic tone with the DC movies that I just don't like. I prefer the cheesiness and camp that creeps their way into shows like The Flash. And even Arrow has its funny moment in spite of again, the main character doing the Batman thing.

The only cheesy moment in Man of Steel is the way Jonathan Kent gets sucked away by the tornado.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    it's like they were trying to do a Batman Begins-like origin story but told from Superman's point of view.
    That's exactly what they were doing. Warner Bros. and DC have been trying to emulate Batman in other superheroes for a while now because everyone loves Batman. The reason we love Batman is because he's a more relatable character and his rogue gallery is more interesting. I'm not against them taking cues from Batman to help re-create the other heroes they have to make them more interesting, what I don't like is them just ripping off the formula altogether until they're unrecognizable.

There's such a darker and mellow-dramatic tone with the DC movies that I just don't like. I prefer the cheesiness and camp that creeps their way into shows like The Flash. And even Arrow has its funny moment in spite of again, the main character doing the Batman thing.

The only cheesy moment in Man of Steel is the way Jonathan Kent gets sucked away by the tornado.

Well, Man of Steel, does end on kind of a light note. What with that military lady saying that Superman is "kind of hot," and Amy Adams saying, "Hi, I'm Lois Lane. Welcome to the planet." and Clark says, "Glad to be here, Lois." and then they smile at each other and that's it. Fade to black. Roll credits.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

One moment of light heartedness does not make up for 2 hours solid of grimdark

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    One moment of light heartedness does not make up for 2 hours solid of grimdark
    You've never read any 'dark' Superman comics, have you? Like the one in the 1990's where Superman fought Doomsday and died?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I haven't read any of the comics, no. Don't know what that's got to do with the movies, but okay!

It's not just about the subject matter. Marvel flicks deal with a lot of themes, yet they still manage to keep things moderately light and colourful. DC don't have any of that, and everything they pump out is coated in a fine coat of grey. Ugh all those muted colours.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I have read that comic, and it's nowhere near as grim as this movie.

The tone change at the end kind of works against the film because just a few scenes ago, Superman snapped a man's neck and gets over it pretty damn fast. So, sitting there, all I'm thinking about is the fact he killed Zod and now we have women crushing on him and him being all smiles. It just doesn't work.

Another issue I have with the last two Superman movies is that they spend so much time on Superman. Clark Kent is meant to be the average working Joe that people can relate to. Maybe not as many now as he's a little bit of a boyscout (I can at least relate to him because I had a similar upbringing and never acted out against my parents as much as other kids my age), but that's mainly his whole thing. Superman is the man you aspire to be because he does great things, and they're the same person! Which goes to show that regardless of all the flaws you have, you can still aspire to do great things. They can't hold you down. And for the last couple of years (on film at least) no one seems to be able to understand this simple premise.

The Superman/Batman relationship is pretty much the optimistic versus the realist. Superman likes to see the good in people, Batman views them as untrustworthy, and I think that's another reason a lot of people side towards Batman because people have proven time and time again to be untrustworthy. But Superman has always contrasted Batman's darker tones. This Superman is just as dark if not darker than Batman is, so I just don't see it working in this universe, but the next movie may prove me wrong. I don't know.

I went on a rant here, man. Boy.

Edit: Agreed, Shauna. I hate the muted colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    I have read that comic, and it's nowhere near as grim as this movie.

The tone change at the end kind of works against the film because just a few scenes ago, Superman snapped a man's neck and gets over it pretty damn fast. So, sitting there, all I'm thinking about is the fact he killed Zod and now we have women crushing on him and him being all smiles. It just doesn't work.
    You know, the funny thing about the ending though is Clark doesn't smile until Lois actually smiles at him...So, it's like Lois wanted him to smile for some reason. And Clark couldn't really "NOT" ​smile at her without looking like a dick.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You've never read any 'dark' Superman comics, have you? Like the one in the 1990's where Superman fought Doomsday and died?
    The death of Superman wasn't dark. It's an excellent example of everything that was wrong with comics in the 90's.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The problem with Superman is that if he is portrayed as too nice and 'perfect' then people will just walk away and go view something grittier and realistic, like Batman. If instead they portray the movie as more realistic and Superman being fallible and dark, then it's too much. He can't really win.

DC just isn't able to produce lighter films that retain a solid, emotional serious core. I agree with Shauna: the Marvels pull this off to great effect many a time. DC is attempting to be receptive to what they think audiences want. They looked at how well the Dark Knight trilogy with the gritty and dark batman did, and attempted to emulate that, but... I guess they overdid it.

Maybe DC should just give up on Superman films?

There are plenty of other characters for them to choose from. I'm interested to see what the upcoming film iteration of Wonder Woman will be like, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post

There are plenty of other characters for them to choose from. I'm interested to see what the upcoming film iteration of Wonder Woman will be like, for instance.

Well, another Superman film hasn't been announced yet, so I assume they're going to flesh out their DC Extended Universe a little bit before they get back to Superman...

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You can go dark with Superman. Not the character himself, but the things he faces. It's been done many times successfully. But when you forget Superman is supposed to strive to be better, strive to do better, than those around him, it tends to go to trout. And it's not enough to just pay lip service to it.

Go watch Superman vs. The Elite if you'd like a fairly dark Superman film that works well.

Don't get me wrong: I like Man of Steel, but with the washed out colours and too little of Superman getting to stand as an example for people rather than just reacting to villains, it wasn't a perfect Superman film.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post

Dark and gritty, from the picture. Do I see several different shades of grey and brown in that photo?

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Of course they are similar. The director of the Batman Begins saga, Christopher Nolan, is a producer for Man of Steel. And David Goyer was a writer for both movies.

As for the dark grittyness of the movie, I'm all for it. From the comics I've read, DC always has darker/grittier undertones to it than Marvel does. Marvel is by its very nature more light hearted, with a few exclusions here and there of course.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well