Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon Age Series

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I was going to do that, but I did really like Morrigan as a character so I chose to stick with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    I was going to do that, but I did really like Morrigan as a character so I chose to stick with her.
    It's actually totally possible for everything with Morrigan to work out in the end (as long as you agree to her 'ritual').

In the 'Witch Hunt' DLC for Origins, you catch up with her again, and can choose to leave with her to a mysterious realm.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Indeed. I may or may not have went out of my way to only buy the Witch Hunt DLC so my Warden could have a "happy"(?) ending.

But, my thoughts on DA:O as a whole: I would have enjoyed it more if I didn't actually have to play the game itself. The combat was terrible and slow, and the only reason I managed to get through it is because I dropped it down on to CASUAL MODE (which I had forgotten about, but now that I remember it makes sense that I suddenly really enjoyed it probably from around the time I lowered the difficulty). My team of Morrigan, Wynne, Leliana and Tank-Warden mostly dominated at this point, but even on easy some things got the better of me. xD

I really enjoyed the story and the world and the characters, and honestly when I was done I was like "I could really do this again with a different character and do a different path, that would be neat!". But then I remembered that I would actually have to play the game and that thought is quickly brushed aside in favour of anything else. In this case it is Bayonetta 2.

Anyway, DA2 is on its way so I'll play that and let you all know my important opinions on that one.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

DA2's combat is sooo much better so you'll probably be able to get through that one much easier.

I freaking love DA but for some reason it's taking me until this past week to actually get to DAI. THe world is just too large for a gamer like me. When you give me lots of space I want to visit all of it and do all of it. So I had 8 hrs invested in it and had only finished maybe 10% of the story. So finally i'm going back to actually playing it.

I haven't decided if I want to romance Cullen or Dorian yet. I was set on Cullen but then they introduced the story part with Dorian and the mages this weekend when I was playing and now I really enjoy his character. I did flirt with Blackwall a bit but decided to not push that one.

In DA: Orgins I romanced Alistair and in Dragon Age: Awakening I super loved Anders so I was determined to love him in DA2, but they dramatically changed his character so I went with Fenris. (Also a playthrough with sebastian, well as much as you could there).

Bioware

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I haven't decided if I want to romance Cullen or Dorian yet. I was set on Cullen but then they introduced the story part with Dorian and the mages this weekend when I was playing and now I really enjoy his character.
    Cullen is only interested in women (specifically, human and elf women. Isn't that a bit racist?) and Dorian is only interested in men.

You can't really choose between them: if you're playing a female character, Dorian isn't an option and if you're playing a male character, Cullen isn't an option.

Dorian is AWESOME, by the way. Most believable gay male character I've ever come across in video games. Definitely go with Dorian if you're playing as a man.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Having said that, I romanced Cullen and I got ALL the feels. Especially when he goes through his lyrium thing. Sorry, I'm a hopeless romantic, what can I say.

DA:O's combat is great, I wish more games were as good. DA2's is far worse (and far faster, with less user agency) so it sounds like you'll like it more.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Possibly. I went into DA:O expecting Mass Effect with swords instead of space lasers, so when I got the slow paced battles, I wasn't terribly impressed. Another thing that may have affected my general enjoyment is that I was playing on PS3 - I was speaking to my friend last night and she said that she can't imagine the combat "working" on anything but PC. So there's possibly that too.

Eh, to each their own.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I had the Game of the Year Edition with all of the DLC, which included items you could give to characters as gifts to instantly max out their like (which I used on everyone but Alistair) or hate (Here you go Alistair) of you. To summarise, my fat ugly ginger Dwarf banged Morrigan, Leliana and Zevran. Because he could.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    I haven't decided if I want to romance Cullen or Dorian yet. I was set on Cullen but then they introduced the story part with Dorian and the mages this weekend when I was playing and now I really enjoy his character.
    Cullen is only interested in women (specifically, human and elf women. Isn't that a bit racist?) and Dorian is only interested in men.

You can't really choose between them: if you're playing a female character, Dorian isn't an option and if you're playing a male character, Cullen isn't an option.

Dorian is AWESOME, by the way. Most believable gay male character I've ever come across in video games. Definitely go with Dorian if you're playing as a man.
    Awwwww but it lets me flirt with him a lot

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

In DA: Orgins I romanced Alistair and in Dragon Age: Awakening I super loved Anders so I was determined to love him in DA2, but they dramatically changed his character so I went with Fenris. (Also a playthrough with sebastian, well as much as you could there).
    Yeah, one of the most disappointing things in DA2 was what they did to Anders. He was one of my favorite characters from Awakening and what we got in DA2 was a completely different character that they should have just created from scratch. It was actually a pretty good character, but I never used him or liked him because he was supposed to be Anders and this was not Anders. Which was fine, since DA2 is so easy that you don't even need a healer.

I agree with Spuuky that DAO's combat was overall better than DA2. I did like the speed of DA2, but the endless spawning of sword fodder in the battles (all of which dispatched easily by my button-mashing rogue who likely could have soloed most of the game) got ridiculous.

I hear DAI is vast, vast, vast and that actually sounds exciting if I had more time to play games. I'll get to it after I finish Mass Effect and then some kind of buffer game so that I'm not over saturating myself with Bioware titles.
    Last edited by Del Murder; 10-22-2015 at 05:26 PM.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

RIP Awakening Anders

Articles
    Blog Entries

I seriously don't understand the love of Awakening Anders. He was a decent enough character in Awakening, he was fairly carefree (at least, superficially) and his story about running away from the Circle Tower was compelling enough.

But in DA2, his character is multi-faceted, layered, and is pretty much a conflicted character. He retains semblances of his original carefree personality at times during banter sequences, especially early on, but you see that change throughout the course of the story. By Act III, Anders cuts a resolute figure. I found Anders a compelling character, and I'm glad my character romanced him, as I found it complimented the Anders arc rather well.

The problem for me with Awakening is that it is only half a game in length, so character storylines, I felt, had to be condensed. There's banter between Justice and Anders that hints towards his growing concern about the treatment of mages, but I got Justice as my final companion, so I didn't get so much banter between them. I suppose DA:II could have filled in some more about what transpired between games, but ultimately, I do vastly prefer DA:II Anders.

That, and it has better clothes than those nasty male mage clothes of Origins.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I liked his personality in awakening and by adding Justice into him he just got so... grumpy. He was such a jokester in awakening and that was refreshing. Then he just.... wasn't. He was so serious. In awakening he was pissed about the mage treatment but he still help a sense of humor. In 2 he just.. was boring.

I did romance him in my first play through, then fenris in my second, and sebastian in my third.

I played DA:O a few times but always ended with alistair cause he's just so adorkable.

The problem isn't that DA2 Anders is "worse" as a character than Awakening Anders, it's that he just isn't Anders anymore, so why would you make him the same character and try to capitalize on recognition or a tieback when he isn't even remotely the same? It really has nothing to do with whatever you think of the characters themselves.