Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I finally bought a Wii U console.

Default I finally bought a Wii U console.

Here's a picture in case you're confused about what the Wii U console is.

B009AGXH64hardware.jpg

Anyway, I bought myself a Wii U just recently because my per-capita check came in on August 8th, and I needed to spend it quickly because the last time I cashed my per-capita and left it in my checking account, a social worker complained about all the money that was in my credit card and threatened to take my monthly social security checks away from me...So, it went into my mother's checking account and she promptly proceeded to spend all of my money. That was two summers ago. Last summer, I bought myself a nice big Element Electronics Television set, and this year I bought myself a Nintendo Wii U console, so I could download Earthbound Beginnings (NES) and Earthbound (SNES) on the Nintendo eShop...Eventually.

There's a lot of good games on the Nintendo eShop for the Wii U. And I can't wait to play them.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

:monster:

Congrats! On 9/11 be sure to pick up Super Mario Maker. #NeverForget

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Congrats! On 9/11 be sure to pick up Super Mario Maker. #NeverForget

That's one day before my birthday. I was born on September 12th by the way.

Anyway, I sure as hell will get Super Mario Maker on 9/11.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

I bought a Wii U for my sister last Christmas. I got Mario Kart 8 with it, and that's the only game we've got for it lol. Project Zero comes out on the eshop in October though, so I'll be sure to get that!
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

You know, I just learned today that the Wii U still has access to the original Wii Virtual Console. You just have to click on a digital button on the gamepad, that says "Wii" and it'll take you to the original Wii menu spot and in that menu spot there's a little window that says, "Wii Shop Channel" and they still have two of the best RPGs ever made in Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars and Chrono Trigger.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Mario Kart 8 is the thing to get for the WiiU. Ask anyone.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Must buy Wii U games:

Mario Kart 8
    Hyrule Warriors
    Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
    Splatoon

Games worth getting:

Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker
    Bayonetta 2
    Super Mario 3D World
    Pikmin 3
    Nintendo Land
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

Upcoming titles to watch out for:

Super Mario Maker
    Yoshi's Wooly World
    Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water
    Star Fox Zero
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

see even skyblade agrees

Articles
    Blog Entries

The Wii U is sort of that console that I kind of want but can never quite justify it. I mean, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros., and The Wind Waker are tempting games but I'm not sure it is enough to warrant an entire console. That, and me and Mr. Carny are thinking of getting a PS4 together, and stretching a second console is pushing it.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

you're forgetting some important things:

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X comes out in a few months.
    2. the first Xenoblade game for the Wii is now on the WiiU e-shop for europe.
    3. You'll get another new zelda next year

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Mario Kart 8 is the thing to get for the WiiU. Ask anyone.

I'm only a causal Mario Kart racing fan but I guess I'll get it. No harm in having a racing game around the house.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Yoshi's Wooly World is already out! And it is adorable

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    The Wii U is sort of that console that I kind of want but can never quite justify it. I mean, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros., and The Wind Waker are tempting games but I'm not sure it is enough to warrant an entire console. That, and me and Mr. Carny are thinking of getting a PS4 together, and stretching a second console is pushing it.

If you want the Wii U and decide not to get it, eventually Nintendo will reach a point where they'll discontinue the model of Wii U that's backwards compatible with the original Wii and they'll make a model 2, Wii U, that'll only play Wii U games. It happened with the original Nintendo Wii console. After a while the original Nintendo Wii lost GameCube support because Nintendo of America wanted to cut down on production costs. Eventually they'll decide to cut down on production costs with the Wii U, too. Which is a shame. Unless of course, you don't care the original Wii games, then of course that won't matter to you at all.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

That's not entirely accurate. the original Wii lost backwards compatibility only because it did no longer have an optical drive that could read Gamecube discs. Gamecube discs are different in two ways: First, they are half-size discs which you generally have to specifically design a drive to support, especially when it is a slot drive. Second, the data on gamecube discs is stored in the reverse direction, so the disc physically spins the "wrong" way in order to be able to read the format. None of these two are the case for the Wii and WiiU. Even without official BC on the latest Wii machines, the hardware inside them still support the execution of gamecube code. All you have to do is hack the console in a way that allows you to feed it with gamecube software.

Even if the WiiU did lose the capacity to read Wii discs (highly unlikely), the console still has the ability to play Wii games (and indeed, gamecube games too if you hack the Wii-mode of the WiiU). The WiiU has no need for physical discs to acquire Wii games, as these can be distributed digitally, so the situation at hand is very different.

In addition to this, I think nintendo consoles are so starved for software that they can't afford to not include bakcwards compatibility.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Yoshi's Wooly World is already out! And it is adorable
    Did you guys get first dibs on that, because I think in des etats Unis it's still not released.