Thread: Starting the Persona Series

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Vita has one advantage over that though - portability. Which is a pretty big deal for me, but am different strokes for different folks You should also check if the Danganronpas are compatible because I'm telling you you're probably gonna love them.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I tend to play handheld systems at home anyway, so! Portability isn't a big deal for me, but I will check if Danganronpas is on there.

The main thing is the cost. I was checking at the actual PS Vita and that looks more expensive.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well dang it I want the PS TV now

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Danganronpa 1 is not compatible for reasons unknown.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Danganronpa 1 is not compatible for reasons unknown.
    I've heard this as well, but there are conflicting sources regarding it.

Either way, I'm here predominantly for Persona 4 Golden, P4: Dancing All Night and I'll probably end up investigating other Vita exclusives as well that I couldn't play before.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll purchase the PS TV and a copy of Persona 4 Golden. Here's hoping the PS TV works exactly as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    So I was looking at various prices, and apparently there's also this system called Playstation TV, which allows you to play 'most' PS Vita games on a larger television, which certainly sounds appealing. Furthermore, the official website confirms that Persona 4 Golden is one of the compatible games for the microconsole. You can play PS Vita games by either downloading them to the device, or inserting the game card directly.

Its price has been slashed very harshly: it is currently marketing at £44-ish. And apparently, P4: Dancing All Night will also be compatible with PS TV according to what people are saying.

Taken at face value, it seems like an absolute steal at £44-ish, for essentially a microconsole which plays Vita games on a larger screen. What do you guys think? It almost seems too good to be true.

GameXplain's review of Dancing All Night is the only first-hand account I've heard from someone who has actually used PSTV (it's mentioned near the end of the review, at 9:08). He mentions that there is some input lag, and an occasional sound cutout before and after songs. Other than that, however, he says it functions fine, and says it's worth getting even for that platform.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I've watched a few hours of a guy playing P4DAN on the PSTV. He didn't really mention any input lag, but I've noticed that the story is... different. I figured it would just be a dancing game, but, no, it's got quite the story to it, too. And lots, and lots, (and lots) of fanservice. Including most of the girls' extra sounds in their dances consisting of only "oohs" and "ahs". Even Nanako a little bit, too. It kind of creeped me out a bit. Having said that, though, the music is still top notch (would be better if you could turn off in-song character speech), and the gameplay seems to be on par with most rhythm games that aren't Project DIVA. But Rise's voice actress changed, and the new one, while not bad in most of her roles, really does NOT fit Rise. Every time she talks I want to scream in terror.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's Ashly Bunch of HAWP.

She's actually a really good voice actor and has played Rei in Persona Q. Still, hearing Rise voiced by anyone that isn't Laura Bailey is just wrong.

I still love how Matt Mercer and Troy Baker sound identical as Kanji.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm pretty positive I heard you can turn off character speech during the songs.

Oh, good. The guy I was watching was one of those people that the first thing he does when he starts a new game is NOT going into the config and making sure everything's perfect!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Another good thing I've noticed is that Persona 4: Arena Ultimax is on the PS3, which I do own, so that's a win.

Another good thing I've noticed is that Persona 4: Arena Ultimax is on the PS3, which I do own, so that's a win.
    Ultimax is a direct sequel to Persona 4 Arena, and you will miss a LOT of background info if you don't play Arena first. It's also for PS3.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Ultimax is a direct sequel to Persona 4 Arena, and you will miss a LOT of background info if you don't play Arena first. It's also for PS3.
    Ooo. I thought the Ultimax title indicated an improved or updated version, sort of like how Street Fighter 'ultra', 'mega', 'ultimate' and other buzzwords before finally starting a new numbered entry.

I'll be sure to purchase Arena first.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Ooo. I thought the Ultimax title indicated an improved or updated version, sort of like how Street Fighter 'ultra', 'mega', 'ultimate' and other buzzwords before finally starting a new numbered entry.

I'll be sure to purchase Arena first.
    In terms of mechanics, this is true. The original Persona 4 Arena released as an arcade game with no story mode. Several DLC characters were added over time. The console version (which was being worked on at the same time) was developed with a full story.

After the first version was completed, ATLUS begin writing a sequel, as Arc System Works began working on slightly tweaking the characters, mechanics, and developing more characters. While the second version released in arcades as Persona 4 Ultimax, and featured little more than the mechanical refinements, the home port again had an entirely new and separate story mode. It follows after the events of the first game. They tweaked how it is formatted as well, so the story doesn't follow the same structure as the original game.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think ultimax has dlc that includes the story mode of the original arena too.