Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: Undertale

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    I am an hour into this game and loving it. It has moved me more in just this little chunk than any other recent title I've played in it's entirety!
    Glad to hear it, man! Enjoy the ride!

Articles
    Blog Entries

This game is loads of fun when you take the emotion and humor side of things, but the gameplay is very dull so I have issues playing it for very long. I feel like while the game looks and feels old-school it could have been a bit more robust and engaging in the gameplay department.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I think the bullet hell style combat is pretty damned original for an RPG.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

UnderTale is a work of genius. It's absolutely superb. Sans and Papyrus are the best ever.

And I can't stand it. I can't look past the graphics and I hate the fighting. It certainly is original! I also find it tedious as hell.

I wish I liked playing this game because god, it's clearly so good, but it just doesn't click with me at all. I'll just watch/read LPs I guess

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I think the bullet hell style combat is pretty damned original for an RPG.
    Is it original? Yes. But I'd rather play Gradius instead of this if I wanted one. Maybe if there was a greater level of customization or more robust character advancement then it'd be welcome but it's just gimmicky and I hate it.

If Undertale was a straight-up old-school adventure game it might be my favorite game this year.

I do not like Undertale. It seems that I have quite an unpopular opinion on this.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I guess pressing X to win is more engaging for some people?

EDIT: I should clarify instead of being snarky.

I get the fact that this game isn't for everyone. What I don't guy is saying that the combat system isn't engaging. You can not like it, sure, but I know every single person who has frquented this forum has played and loved RPGs where you literally can win without much trouble by selecting the fight command in RPGs (in most cases). That doesn't make those games bad, as I love those types of games as well.

I found trying to figure out how to engage the enemies peacefully always kept me on my toes. I also like how the game constantly threw new things at you. Most importantly, the game is exactly as long as it needs to be. No filler. No fluff. No grinding (unless you are a jerk, but that's the point in that case). Just a fun game with well written characters and story.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Just bought this game in the Steam Winter Sale to celebrate Christmas. Truth be told I was on the fence about picking it up for the longest of times since it *sounded* like something I'd really enjoy but I didn't have quite the motivation to just go ahead and get it.

Then through circumstances I came across a video of the part where the glorious Megalovania plays, and now I finally have that motivation. I didn't even know about the whole bullet hell aspect before, that sounds really fun. Looking forward to playing it.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I also picked this up in the Steam sales. I'll give it a go at some point and update you all on how it goes! :3

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post

I get the fact that this game isn't for everyone. What I don't guy is saying that the combat system isn't engaging. You can not like it, sure, but I know every single person who has frquented this forum has played and loved RPGs where you literally can win without much trouble by selecting the fight command in RPGs (in most cases). That doesn't make those games bad, as I love those types of games as well.

I found trying to figure out how to engage the enemies peacefully always kept me on my toes. I also like how the game constantly threw new things at you. Most importantly, the game is exactly as long as it needs to be. No filler. No fluff. No grinding (unless you are a jerk, but that's the point in that case). Just a fun game with well written characters and story.
    I play RPG's to be engrossed in a good story as well as experiment with skills, weapons, and tactics. Undertale is not that sort of RPG experience outside of the story, characters, and writing which is excellent but not excellent enough for me to play variations of a simplistic bullet-hell minigame or rhythm fans as an excuse for combat. The combat, to me, is not my bag. It's definitely original, but too simplistic in execution outside of "don't get hit/hit the right time" and nothing else.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've picked up the game too. I keep hearing the name pop up and it sounds intriguing despite knowing nothing about it (been avoiding reading this thread for the most part.)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post

I play RPG's to be engrossed in a good story as well as experiment with skills, weapons, and tactics. Undertale is not that sort of RPG experience outside of the story, characters, and writing which is excellent but not excellent enough for me to play variations of a simplistic bullet-hell minigame or rhythm fans as an excuse for combat. The combat, to me, is not my bag. It's definitely original, but too simplistic in execution outside of "don't get hit/hit the right time" and nothing else.
    Okay, your reasoning is making more sense to me now. Yeah, if you are looking for a super deep RPG in terms of mechanics then you won't find it in Undertale.

My point of view on that is that I have played those games like that to death, and as I get older the less time I have for video games. So a more streamlined experience that reminds me of quirky stuff like EarthBound resonates with me. Keep in mind I was one of the few that was on board with EarthBound way back when it first released. I still can't believe that game broke out of the cult status!

I just finished my first playthrough!

Thoughts:So the ending was really confusing (did we achieve anything?) and while in general I do like plot twists the flower thing was a bit too much imo. I love how Asgore was presented in the game, I could never tell whether he would be a nice guy or a ruthless murderer by the way NPC's talked about him. Sometimes the battle system is a bit unfair with seemingly undodgeable enemy moves, but at the same time I've had plenty of wow moments where I dodged something I totally didn't think I was going to make it. The characters are mostly memorable and awesome, with Alphys being the only slightly annoying one. The humor and the underlying dark tones work well together, makes a unique vibe.

Overall I am really impressed. It's a very original title and imo it deserves a lot of credit for what it is and achieves. I'm considering a second run straight up cause I do believe I missed a couple locked doors and secrets. And I just read there's multiple endings soooo

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    I just finished my first playthrough!

Thoughts:So the ending was really confusing (did we achieve anything?) and while in general I do like plot twists the flower thing was a bit too much imo. I love how Asgore was presented in the game, I could never tell whether he would be a nice guy or a ruthless murderer by the way NPC's talked about him. Sometimes the battle system is a bit unfair with seemingly undodgeable enemy moves, but at the same time I've had plenty of wow moments where I dodged something I totally didn't think I was going to make it. The characters are mostly memorable and awesome, with Alphys being the only slightly annoying one. The humor and the underlying dark tones work well together, makes a unique vibe.

Overall I am really impressed. It's a very original title and imo it deserves a lot of credit for what it is and achieves. I'm considering a second run straight up cause I do believe I missed a couple locked doors and secrets. And I just read there's multiple endings soooo
    Yeah, all I am going to say is not to reset and load up your file. If you didn't kill anything, you just might come across something...

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I keep dying because bullet hell is like my WORST genre (especially with a keyboard) so I quit out of frustration. Sorry I cannot STAY DETERMINED...

What I played was very cute though, and that ghost guy has the best music I've ever heard in my life. I might go back to it later?